Air War?

Strategic War in Europe is a grand strategy game where you command one or more of the 25 countries in the game. War, diplomacy, technological progress, recruitment, conquest – this is all in your hands. There are no restrictions to the actions you can perform during your turn: unit movement, purchase, attack, technology investment, reinforcement, all of those can be done at any moment during the turn.

Moderator: doomtrader

arras

Air War?

Post by arras »

Can somebody explain how air war works? Manual does not give much details.

I am having some trouble understanding it. First of all I thought that having air superiority over hex should give you safe air strike possibility without much risk of intercept. On the other hand I thought that is also gives your unit safety against enemy air attacks. However that does not seem to be the case often.

When I am attacking with my "bombers" hex which is contested (yellow under air superiority filter) I get intercepted about 90% of the time. On the other hand I had situation when I was sitting in France (as Germany in 1944) with 4 "fighter" units level 3-4, air superiority filter was green over all of France yet I got my ground units constantly attacked with my fighters failing about 90% of time to intercept sustaining large looses to intercepting fighters (2-4 strength looses per enemy strike attack). I also noted that during AI turn air superiority filter over France turned red.

What should I do to get better chance of striking enemy ground units without being constantly intercepted (during French campaign I had 2 fighters against 1 French yet my bombers got intercepted most of the time when striking in to "yellow" hexes). And what should I do to protect my own units if placing 4 fighters around does not help?

Any rules I should follow?

Playing with fog of war and version 1.08.
arras

RE: Air War?

Post by arras »

OK, I run some tests (version 1.08)

GERMANS ATTACKING

First 1939 scenario, Germans against Poles. One level 1, strength 10 German fighter against 1 Polish, 1 level, 8 strength fighter. German bombers attacking Polish unit. Both sides human controlled.

Number of successful strikes: 10
Number of successful Polish intercepts: 26

Then I added one level 2, 10 strength German fighter which should have given me more than 2:1 air superiority advantage.

Number of successful strikes: 12
Number of successful Polish intercepts: 26

Then I left 1 German, 1 level, 6 strength Fighter which should have given Poles slight advantage.

Number of successful strikes: 10
Number of successful Polish intercepts: 28

BRITS ATTACKING

Then I set up 1 British full strength and 1 French fighter against 1 German fighter and attacked German infantry unit with British bomber.

Number of successful strikes: 21
Number of successful German intercepts: 7

Then I added one German fighter pitting up 2 Allied fighters against 2 German.

Number of successful strikes: 11
Number of successful German intercepts: 7

Then I removed all Allied fighters and run British bombers against total German air superiority of 2 fighters.

Number of successful strikes: 5
Number of successful German intercepts: 5
(sorry I did not keep patience but I think it was not necessary, result are obvious)

Call it "bad luck" if you like but I believe there is something wrong with this game.
Symple

RE: Air War?

Post by Symple »

Well, I am in an early game and trying to answer your question. But I have seen very much what you report

Return to “Strategic War in Europe”