Air transport capacity

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Yaab

Air transport capacity

Post by Yaab »

As far as I understand air transport of supplies, 2000 capacity equals 1 supply point transported. Does that mean the following data is correct?

1 - 2000 capacity = 1 supply point
2001 - 4000 capacity = 2 supply points
4001 - 6000 capacity = 3 supply points
etc.

Now, I have no problems with aircraft of 1-2000 capacity - they carry 1 point. My question is: if the plane has i.e 2001, 2010 or 2100 capacity, is it transporting 2 points of supply or do I have to have 4000 capacity to carry 2 points? Where does the treshold start?

Thanks.

Icedawg

RE: Air transport capacity

Post by Icedawg »

I thought it was multiples of 4000, not 2000. All fractions rounding down.

0-7999 capacity = 1 supply point
8000-11999 capacity = 2 supply points
12000-15999 capacity = 3 supply points
etc

I hope you are wrong about the 2000 value. If you are right, I have completely planned my transport plane production with a faulty assumption.
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

It's 2000 = 1 point.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

As Sardaukar says, it is 2000/point. But I cannot tell you if it rounds up or down or if all the planes in the flight pool their capacity for total load.
Knyvet

Post by Knyvet »

Question and contribution

Does it matter whether the ground unit being transported by air is in combat or strategic move mode?

Nice summary of other important aspects of air transport by michaelm: [:)]

Air transport is handled fairly simplistically compared to ship transport.
-----------
Moving troops from base to base:
a) Can't move a non-squad or non-engineer device with a load cost >9

Air dropping troops:
a) Can't air drop a non-squad device with a load cost >7 or if none are ready

Common for ready devices:
b) Aviation support - 2 devices moved plus 2 more if a/c max load is 7500 or more
c) Squad or Engineer device type - 1 device moved plus one more if a/c max load is 7500 or more

Common for disabled devices:
d) Aviation support - 2 devices moved
e) Squad or Engineer device type - 1 device moved plus one more if a/c max load is 7500 or more

----------------
Moving supply:
Supply amount is a/c max load divided by 2000 with a minimum of 1. This is removed from the source and added to the destination unless air-dropped where a random value is added to the destination.

Yaab

Post by Yaab »

So:

1-2000 capacity = 1 supply point

In order to carry 2 supply points, a plane has to have a minimum capacity of 4000 (4000/2000=2) thus planes with 1-3999 capacity will carry only 1 point of supply.

Is the above formula correct?
Knyvet

Post by Knyvet »

yes, that is how I interpret it (i.e., increments of 2000 per plane are required - anything additional between increments does not matter):

a/c max load
1-3999 = 1 supply point
4000-5999 = 2 supply points
6000-7999 = 3 supply points
etc.

Examples
The Jap Army MC-21 Sally transport has 3,000 max load and can transport 1 supply point (12 MC-21s can transport 12 supply points).
The Jap Army Ki-57-I Topsy transport has 2,300 max load and can transport 1 supply point (12 Ki-57-Is can transport 12 supply points).
The Jap Navy H8K2-L Emily float transport has 12,400 max load and can transport 6 supply points (12 H8K2-Ls can transport 72 supply points).

H8K2-L Seikû ("Clear Sky") (Kawanishi H8K Type 2 Large Flying Boat)- Largest WWII aircraft produced by Japan in any quantity (36 built)
Transport version of H8K2. Initially named Type 2 Transport Flying Boat, Model 32. Up to 64 passengers.
To increase the available space within the aircraft, its hull tanks were removed, thus reducing its range.

Logistics challenge in perspective
Feltan

Post by Feltan »

Quick question: What about the air transports will a lift capability less than 2000? I recall using them to transport supply, albeit a small amount, but if the rounding down rule is applied above they shouldn't transport anything.

Regards,
Feltan
Knyvet

Post by Knyvet »

It is a division with a min and not a rounding rule. Think of it as increments of 2,000 capacity and a minimum of 1 regardless of size. If you use rounding, it gets confusing about when you should round up or down.

Generally speaking, computers use division without remainders unless you take the extra step of executing a modulo function (aka modulus or MOD). Unless don, Michael, or someone else in the know about the code (or the manual) says otherwise, I tend to ignore rounding when doing WITP AE math. E.g., asw for a plane with a range of 9 is 4 hexes, not 10 - the program likely ignores the division's remainder when dividing by 2 to figure out asw range (i.e., it is not calculated and then "rounded down").

Mod function example using Excel
Attachments
excel-2007..function.jpg
excel-2007..function.jpg (7.99 KiB) Viewed 434 times
Dili

Post by Dili »

So it is impossible to have a functional Me-323 in game to transport heavy devices.
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Thus, the smallest AKL can drop more cargo in one single pass that many days of air supply
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Good to know about the rule "rounding down". But I am interested in knowing if a plane has less than 2000 carry capability, will it still carry one supply point?
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Good to know about the rule "rounding down". But I am interested in knowing if a plane has less than 2000 carry capability, will it still carry one supply point?

Yes.

----------------
Moving supply:
Supply amount is a/c max load divided by 2000 with a minimum of 1.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Yes.

----------------
Moving supply:
Supply amount is a/c max load divided by 2000 with a minimum of 1.
Thanks Sardaukar, it's nice to know that the Dragon (max load of 520) is useful for SOMETHING!
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Wrong post. Never mind forgot where I was.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
czert2

Post by czert2 »

ORIGINAL: Dili

So it is impossible to have a functional Me-323 in game to transport heavy devices.
Yeah, i allwas dreamd that if you put in game some fantasy vig carg capable transport so you can trasport lighttanks/radars via planes.

well mayby in witp 2 with requrements like cpacity over 15 000 to lift devices with size up to 15 (just quesing corect nubers) and most imoratny it have to checked -loading ramp - same check like ve have now for e.q. cv capable planes.

And it will be extremly nice if it can be done with curent game,

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”