Xenonauts Anyone?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

wesy

Xenonauts Anyone?

Post by wesy »

With all the spiritual successors to X-COM UFO Defense is anyone playing Xenonauts from Goldhawk Interactive? It's set in the late 70's and is available via Steam and Desura. It's still in beta, but it's fun to play. The game still needs balancing and bunch of other stuff. You can get more info from their site at Xenonauts

"I ran into Isosceles. He had a great idea for a new triangle!"...Woody Allen
Ranger33

RE: Xenonauts Anyone?

Post by Ranger33 »

I've had it since the first alpha was available and it's really come a long way. I think it's going to be a classic once it's actually finished. You get the gameplay of the original XCOM, but with a vastly improved UI, more fleshed out air combat, and lots of polish all around. Unlike the new official XCOM, you can really customize your guys with all sorts of gear (grenades, flashbangs, C4, flares, medkits, etc) right from the start. That plus the much larger squad sizes makes the game feel a lot more "realistic" and gives you the feel of an elite military force going up against alien invaders, instead of the super hero commandos of XCOM fighting tiny groups of aliens.

I like the new XCOM, but I think in the long run, Xenonauts will be the true successor to the original XCOM throne.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Been playing XCOM - Enemy Unknown a lot lately. I have to say the graphics in XCOM-EU are amazing and look a lot better than in this Xenonauts. Looking at the screenshots on the website they pale by comparison. But it looks like Xenonauts has a greater variety of equipment to play around with. Looks fun. When is it due out?
Noypi53

Post by Noypi53 »

I like Xenonauts & bought it from Steam. It's in "Early Access Game" mode meaning you can buy it for $19.99 & get to play it in its current form which is still going thru a debugging phase. Once the game is finalized, your copy is also updated.

I just wish they could allow you to change the fonts of the text. They're too darn small for this old man's eyes!!
wesy

Post by wesy »

The graphics don't have the polish of XCOM EU, but it's more in the vein of the original series. I like the ability to be able to outfit your team with the weapons of your choice etc. I like that you can have more than I think 6 (if i recall correctly) in XCOM EU. It has come a long way. They just released the latest milestone build on Steam Early Access.
"I ran into Isosceles. He had a great idea for a new triangle!"...Woody Allen
Jevhaddah

Post by Jevhaddah »

ORIGINAL: Noypi53

I like Xenonauts & bought it from Steam. It's in "Early Access Game" mode meaning you can buy it for $19.99 & get to play it in its current form which is still going thru a debugging phase. Once the game is finalized, your copy is also updated.

I just wish they could allow you to change the fonts of the text. They're too darn small for this old man's eyes!!

I am currently playing the original X-Com Enemy Unknown and having a blast [:D]

Cheers

Jev
I am really quite mad yoo know!
Boomer78

Post by Boomer78 »

Been watching some let's plays of the current state of Xenonauts. It looks like it has some great potential, but I gotta admit, just watching it for an hour so drove me out of my mind with boredom. It still needs a lot of tweaking and features implemented. As it stands right now it just looks like a 2-3 stage TBS game with an alien invasion theme. Very dry right now. It needs more BBQ sauce.

I'm really hoping for a DRM-free version. I might have to pick it up. If they go Steam only, well... there will be one more to scratch off my Christmas wish list.
"Fly, god dammit it fly! God damn cheap Japanese flying packs!"
Boomer78

Post by Boomer78 »

One F Jef does a Xenonauts let's play... Alpha version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaPb8gsZZ-8
"Fly, god dammit it fly! God damn cheap Japanese flying packs!"

Return to “General Discussion”