Supply Question

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Mike13z50

Supply Question

Post by Mike13z50 »

I’m trying to understand what happened in my current game, and the rule book doesn’t cover it.

It’s late December 42, GC as Sov vs AI. I’d outrun my supply lines and called a halt to the offense while waiting for the rail lines to catch up. Also I had withdrawn all planes to NR for the 2032 upgrade.
Finally I had a rail line sufficient to resume operations, and began redeploying fighters as a prerequisite. I deployed six regiments to about 12 airbases, all on active rail hexes and adjacent to their HQ also on active rail hexes. I moved less than a dozen combat units a hex or two and no Army HQ except by rail.
My trucks required jumped from 115k to 150k the next turn, with 6k lost in supply operations. The next turn trucks required dropped back to 115K.

So, my question is does all supply to combat units require trucks from the HQunit even if the unit is on an active rail hex?
IF SO THEN > why is it important to keep airbases on active rail hexes for improved supply efficiency?

Any insight appreciated.
Walloc

RE: Supply Question

Post by Walloc »

Was weather in the 115k turn clear and the 155k worse weather possibly mud? or as its dec snow then blizzard and snow again?

Kind regards,

Rasmus
gingerbread

Post by gingerbread »

An AB is a type 5 HQ and it draws supply & fuel overland from its HQ if w/i 5 hexes & 20 MP.

If an AB is 6 to 10 hexes from its HQ, it will be supplied in the 2nd supply segment and this is where the rail supply kicks in. (Also valid if 11+ hexes distant, but much less desirable).

It's a quirk in the system - you do not want the AB to draw from its HQ, but you want the HQ close enough to get the leader involved. You do miss out on AA support from the HQ this way.
Mike13z50

Post by Mike13z50 »

Interesting, so don't move the HQ in range until after the initial restocking, that way the AB draws directly from rail rather than pulling from HQ. I'll try that.

The weather was blizzard on both turns. I was trying to minimize truck usage because I was all ready at 112/115.

6k trucks is over 5% of my fleet!
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I have encountered this problem. Part of the reason is Air HQ and AB that hold aircraft hold massive stocks of supply relative to ground units. When you dump your a/c to reserve and then later plonk them all back again it puts a massive strain on your trucks. I have learnt never to do this in non clear turns.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”