Civil War II teaser AAR: Shiloh Scenario

Civil War 2 is the definitive grand strategy game of the period. It is a turn based regional game with an emphasis on playability and historical accuracy. It is built on the renowned AGE game engine, with a modern and intuitive interface that makes it easy to learn yet hard to master.
This historical operational strategy game with a simultaneous turn-based engine (WEGO system) that places players at the head of the USA or CSA during the American Civil War (1861-1865).

Moderator: Pocus

Philkian

Civil War II teaser AAR: Shiloh Scenario

Post by Philkian »

Here's a short AAR of the Shiloh battle scenario from CW2 made by Ebbingford on the Ageod Forum.

This shows the main theater of operations and the positions of the two objectives that I have to take to win the scenario, Corinth and Memphis. These are shown on the F9 page of the ledger. Note that Bowling Green and Nashville are also objectives although not listed on the F9 page of the ledger. I'm guessing that they are objectives for the CSA so I must take care to defend them.

The first task is to reorganise Grant's Army of the Cumberland. I will then send out cavalry patrols to McNairy, Lake and Humboldt to try and find out where the CSA forces are located. I don't really want to go charging straight to Corinth as I don't know what is there yet.....
I also reorganise Buell's Army of the Tennessee, giving most of the troops in it to George Thomas. I will then send him straight to Nashville to bolster the defence there. To help him I make Wallace, who is with Grant, a corps leader attached to the Army of the Cumberland and send him to Nashville as well. Next turn I will use him to transfer Thomas's corps from the control of the Army of the Tennessee to that of Grant's Army of the Cumberland. He will then benifit from not being under Buell's control. Buell won't like it so I shall send him off to Bowling Green to organise the defence there.
Foote's fleet is also sent to the river outside Nashville with orders to bombard. His guns might just make the difference...

Turn 2.
My cavalry scouts have located the main rebel force outside Corinth, and they don't appear to be entrenched at all. Grant is now ordered to the region via Madison, he should swat the CSA force there on his way through. I am willing to accept a battle in Corinth as the enemy appear not to be entrenched and the power ratings of the two stacks are in my favour at the moment. Now is as good a time as any to go. I also push some cavalry out to the region of Hardman, this should let me see if there are any enemy forces lurking out in that direction. I will worry about taking Memphis once I have dealt with the main CSA army.

As there might be a battle this turn I order up some infantry and cavalry replacements using the F2 page of the ledger so that any battle losses might be made good.

Turn 3.
Grant has arrived outside of Corinth, a skirmish with rebel cavalry was the only encounter when he arrived there. The cavalry force then withdrew to the next region, the rest of the rebel force had already withdrawn inside the town before Grant arrived. One of Napoleon's maxims comes to mind "the side that stays within its fortifications is beaten"...

A large rebel force under Beauregard is now besieged inside Corinth.
Some other rebel forces have moved towards Nashville. I shall send some cavalry over to find out how strong they are before deciding if Thomas comes out from his entrenchments to attack them.

I will try and take Corinth before dealing with any other rebel forces. I will have to wait a turn or two to see if I get any breaches before assaulting though, I don't want to waste the lives of my men needlessly...

Turn 4.
As I thought, Albert S Johnston with Polk's corps has advanced to Nashville.

Thomas will stay put for now inside the town. I don't think I have enough quality troops in my two divisions there to win a stand up fight with the rebels. I will wait for Grant to arrive in a couple of turns time and if the rebels attack me in my entrenchments before then my troops are ready for them.

I have already made a breach in Corinth but I am going to wait another turn before ordering the assault to let my men regain cohesion. Thomas is in no real danger ........ (I hope)

Turn 5.
Grant has made another breach in Corinth. I would like to wait and starve the defenders out but the scenario only has 4 more turns to go, have I got enough time? (Stranglers lyrics are going round in my head now).
I think the time has come for an assault to be made.
I order some more replacements from the F2 page of the ledger as the assault may be bloody. Thomas is OK in Nashville still, I will go and relieve him afterwards.

When the turn is done I see that my assault was successful, although a tad on the bloody side as I thought it would be.

pvthudson01

RE: Civil War II teaser AAR: Shiloh Scenario

Post by pvthudson01 »

Bummer though that its still the same old combat results engine
Matrix Member since 2003!
Philkian

Post by Philkian »

Turn 6.
Grants force is orderd to rest for the turn after the assault. Hopefully he should be back up to strength for the next turn when he can go and relieve Nashville.
I put his force in passive posture as this regains cohesion quicker, as well as drawing replacements better.

The assault on Corinth has put me in a better position victory point wise, I gained 91 from the battle for Corinth. My national morale is also now better than the rebels which should help when I go after them at Nashville.

Turn 7.
Sherman did well in the assault on Corinth and has gained enough seniority points to be promoted. I will promote him to a 2* and send him with a small force to Memphis to take it.

I give Sherman's divison to R. Johnson. Grant will then go to Nashville to join up with Thomas. He can make the journey by rail in 10 days, hopefully Albert Sidney Johnston will still be there when he arrives.
I have to leave a small garrison in Corinth in case the CSA try a sneaky cavalry raid to take it back.

McClernand's cavalry force in Tishomingo, next to Corinth, is given orders to destroy the railroad there in case the main CSA army makes a dash by train from Nashville to try and retake Corinth.

Turn 8.
Grant arrives in Nashville and drives the rebel forces out of the region. The Cumberland fleet under Foote joins in the bombardment but loses some of the old unarmoured gunboats in the artillery duel. (Memo to self- Don't send non ironclads on support bombardment missions...)

Grant then swaps his two weakest divisions with the two fresh ones in Nashville under Thomas. He will then set off to pursue the rebel army and engage it if possible.
Sherman is set the task of assaulting and taking Memphis. This is the last turn so he has to take it.

Last turn.
Sherman's force easily overwhelms the small garrison in Memphis while the remaining rebel forces manage to evade Grant's lunge.
I have done enough though. I have taken both of my objectives and while I haven't destroyed the rebel forces in the theatre, their power has been vastly reduced. I have inflicted losses on them which I don't think they will be able to recover from easily.

Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

You make this crap look easy! I don't think I have ever won that scenario!
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

Return to “Civil War II”