Case Blue vs Germany at War

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

jchron2

Case Blue vs Germany at War

Post by jchron2 »

I understand that GaW is a simpler experience. But for those of you who have played both, how much simpler? I'm trying to decide which to buy. I am leaning to DCCB but not if its way more complicated. If War in the East is a 10 on the degree of difficulty scale and Panzer Corps is 1, where are GaW and DCCB? Also, How long does AI turn in both tend to last?
sandman2575

RE: Case Blue vs Germany at War

Post by sandman2575 »

One of the amazing things about DCCB is the way it streamlines its complexity. It's a deep game, but in my opinion, the depth never becomes an impediment to enjoying the game (the way it does in WitE).

Simply put, DCCB is the best turn-based, operational level European theatre WW2 game out there. If you are interested in the history of the war on the "Ostfront," you owe it to yourself to get DCCB. (DC Warsaw to Paris is also an outstanding game, by the way -- by no means rendered obsolete by DCCB.)

Full disclosure, I have not played GaW, although I'm interested in learning more about it. Personally, I can't stand Panzer Corps, and found WitE on the other end of the spectrum to be hugely disappointing for a host of reasons. But you cannot go wrong with DCCB. It is simply an amazing game.
jchron2

Post by jchron2 »

From some of the reviews and AARs I've read, moving may seem like a click fest. I have a laptop...no mouse. What do you think? And thank you for the analysis. You make a great case for DCCB. It's the direction I'm leaning.
produit

Post by produit »

First point is duration and duration of AI turns. I finished the whole campaign of GaW in something like a week of play (10-20 maps, 1 hours per map approximately). In comparison, DCCB is another order of magnitude.

GaW is really close to PC in terms of pace of play kind, GaW being more historical, PC being more polished. DCCB and WitE are completely other games. You are no more playing with 20-30 units scattered on a map, but with a full front of hundred of units. Duration of a turn in PC and GaW is some minutes. 1 turn in DCCB and WitE are of the order of an hour, so more a less like a complete map in PC or GaW.

Having played the four games, at this time, I prefer PC (fun and fast to play) and DC (long lasting strategy, complexity but still manageable interface from my POW).
jchron2

Post by jchron2 »

I bought DCCB a few days ago. All my concerns have, so far, been answered. The turns do take a while. But the decision making is such a key element in the game, that how long the turns take is ok. I was afraid of movement is being a "click fest." And there are a lot of clicks. But, once again, I've discovered that lots of clicks are ok.M Most importantly, the game is simple enough that it can be played while learning about all the deeper concepts (cards, use of HQ, what all the numbers on the counters actually mean..etc). So far, DCCB is the best use of my money yet for a computer war game.
sandman2575

Post by sandman2575 »

Glad to hear you took the plunge on DCCB -- you won't regret it!

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”