GaW or DCCB

Germany At War: Operation Barbarossa 1941 is an elegant turn-based design, inspired by classics such as Panzer General, but with more of a historical focus. You command the German forces through a branching historical campaign covering the entire 1941 campaign as well as part of the 1942 campaign. Dozens of scenarios stretch from the Soviet border all the way to Archangel and towards Astrakhan, the original military goals of Operation Barbarossa. Step into a wargame where your performance will rewrite history, through an addictive combination of compelling gameplay, realistic events and challenging battles.

Moderator: Ronald Wendt

jchron2

GaW or DCCB

Post by jchron2 »

I understand that GaW is a simpler experience. But for those of you who have played both, how much simpler? I'm trying to decide which to buy. I am leaning to DCCB but not if its way more complicated. If War in the East is a 10 on the degree of difficulty scale and Panzer Corps is 1, where are GaW and DCCB? Also, How long does AI turn in both tend to last?
stormbringer3

RE: GaW or DCCB

Post by stormbringer3 »

I have all the titles that you mention. I'd give DCCB a 7 and GaW a 3. I like GaW a lot better than Panzer Corps. The AI turn is definitely longer in DCCB but I haven't played DCCB in a few months so I don't have a good answer for you on its' AI turn length. I've never let the time of the AI turn be a factor for me because I want it to give me the best game possible. I have more than one game where you can choose the AI time length and I always go for the longest.
Both GaW and DCCB are excellent games. I spend about an hour plotting my 1st move in DCCB though my subsequent turns are faster. I brought this up in case time is an issue for you.
I hope that this helps.
jchron2

Post by jchron2 »

From some of the reviews and AARs I've read, moving may seem like a click fest. I have a laptop...no mouse. What do you think? And thank you for the analysis. Your comments make me think id be happy with either. DCCB Is the direction I'm leaning.
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

If you don't have a mouse, IMO I'd go with GaW. DCCB has many, many more units to move etc. I'd look at the AARs for DCCB or DC Warsaw to Paris. Also, GaW has no stacking other than an air unit over a ground unit. When I mentioned looking at the AARs for the DC titles, I wasn't sure which title you were afraid of being a clickfest. GaW is definitely not a clickfest. I've never owned laptop but I think you can buy a mouse for them. If so, I'd spend the $ for one. If you go with DCCB a mouse would help out greatly.
jchron2

Post by jchron2 »

Hahaha, I was afraid you'd say that. I've spent time reading the forums and DCCB has so many people say how good it is. And almost nobody criticizes it to any degree. And it seems to me war gamers can be a picky bunch. So DCCB seems very acclaimed. It may well be worth the click fest aspect.
michaelincol

Post by michaelincol »

worth the clicks. Victor's games are great and his support even better. I have GaW and went back to learning/playing victor's gems. no diss on GaW. I think Victor's games are sweet spot for me.
jchron2

Post by jchron2 »

You're absolutely correct. I bought DCCB several days ago. The game mechanics are very intuitive. Its simple enough that you can play the game while learning and discovering all the deeper concepts that increase the enjoyment level. I've also discovered (much to my surprise) that learning about all those deeper concepts and how they work is way more fun than I ever imagined. So far, its the best use of my money yet for a computer war game. Thanks to the developers and those who post on the forums who overwhelmingly recommended DCCB

Return to “Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941”