From R&D to Production (little question)

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

cohimbra

From R&D to Production (little question)

Post by cohimbra »

Hi all, sure this is an old question, but just to be sure: with this settings, at the appropriate time, the Maebashi factory began to produce (upgd=yes), while Hamamatsu factory remain in R&D (upgd=no)...I'm in right? If the answer is no, what's the correct settings? Thanks.
Icedawg

RE: From R&D to Production (little question)

Post by Icedawg »

I believe you need to change the "Prod" to "no" to keep the Hamamatsu factory in R&D mode.

Otherwise, when the plane is advanced to the current month, you will have a single turn to avoid it going into production mode. The text will appear in blue for that turn. If you don't do anything (like change it to the Tojo IIb), it will then switch to a production factory and you will lose it for R&D.

As for "Upgd", "yes" allows the factory to automatically switch to researching (or producing if it is a production factory) the next model in the Tojo line (the Tojo IIb).

Leaving both "Upgd" and "Prod" to "yes" for a research factory will cause the factory to switch to production (after the single turn where the factory appears in blue). I found this out the hard way and lost 8 fully repaired (size 30) Tojo IIa factories! Luckily, my opponent was kind enough to go back a turn so I could make the necessary changes to keep them as R&D factories.

Hope this helps.
MDDgames

Post by MDDgames »

They will both start producing on Jun 1 and neither will be in R&D mode. If you want one factory to start researching the B, you better do it before that date. But that makes me wonder as to WHY you would want to keep it in R&D mode AFTER Jun 1? That makes no sense.
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

ORIGINAL: MDDgames

They will both start producing on Jun 1 and neither will be in R&D mode. If you want one factory to start researching the B, you better do it before that date. But that makes me wonder as to WHY you would want to keep it in R&D mode AFTER Jun 1? That makes no sense.

He wants to keep that factory in R&D mode so that it will convert to the Tojo IIb without incurring any damage. He will then research the IIb for a bit and convert to the IIc (again, without any damage).

Fully repaired R&D factories that convert to the next plane in a research line do so without getting damaged in the process. This allows the Japanese player to seriously accelerate late war airframes that have early war predecessors.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

He wants to keep that factory in R&D mode so that it will convert to the Tojo IIb without incurring any damage. He will then research the IIb for a bit and convert to the IIc (again, without any damage).

Fully repaired R&D factories that convert to the next plane in a research line do so without getting damaged in the process. This allows the Japanese player to seriously accelerate late war airframes that have early war predecessors.

Also, once a factory is set to production there's no going back.
obvert

Post by obvert »

There is going back if you catch it while it's in production and still tinted blue. The problems usually arise for me when the plane is going to be ready on the first and the R n D is only just finishing then as well, so you can't change the factory to the next model before it's at 100% researched. If you then miss it having turned blue and switching to production, play a few more turns, it will then go back to normal green and be locked in as a production factory.

So just make sure on the first of each month and any time you know something is ready to switch over, check the R n D and the production areas.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

I always manually convert R&D factories about a month before the due date. This avoids the whole problem. [:D]. You really are not gaining a whole lot by waiting until the last minute to switch anyway.

You still will not get any damage doing this as long as you follow the proper upgrade path. You do not have to wait for the computer to do it in order to avoid damage. I have an example of manually doing this in my Japanese Production Primer tm.asp?m=3329605

cohimbra

Post by cohimbra »

Thanks to all, I'll pay attention and I'll switch manually at the right time.
I know that the last month the display will change to blue (I see it for the Ia-Helen, etc.), I made this question
to increase my knowledge about this area of the 'game'.
@MDDgames: Icedawg is right, my objective is to accelerate the R&D for the IIc-Tojo version...furthermore I play
PDU=OFF, and at this time only two Sentai (of the 2nd Air Div, Manchukwo, 85th & 87th) can be converted to IIa-Tojo,
so a (30)factory is sufficient for now. Thanks to all again. Banzai!
[:D]
MDDgames

Post by MDDgames »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

I always manually convert R&D factories about a month before the due date. This avoids the whole problem. [:D]. You really are not gaining a whole lot by waiting until the last minute to switch anyway.

You still will not get any damage doing this as long as you follow the proper upgrade path. You do not have to wait for the computer to do it in order to avoid damage. I have an example of manually doing this in my Japanese Production Primer tm.asp?m=3329605

Exactly.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”