Burma Railway

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Chris21wen

Burma Railway

Post by Chris21wen »

I've been under a mishapprehension for years. For whatever reason I never bothered reading about it and thougt the Burma Railway connected Burma and China. Now I know differently, it connected Rangoon and Bangkok roughly following the line of the secondary road from Moulmein. Now my question is why? If the game map is correct and the secondary railway existed to Chiang Mai I'd connect it up to Pegu. Only thing I can think of is terrain.
crsutton

RE: Burma Railway

Post by crsutton »

You are asking historically, I assume. For Japan is was lack of resources, time, skilled engineers and the eventual effect of Allied air power. What they did build took a Herculean effort with the use of a lot of slave and forced labor, and I don't think the rail line moved that much supply anyways. To extend the line to Rangoon was just beyond the scope of their capability.

The game does a great job replicating the Japanese dilemma in Burma. If the Japanese player wants to defend Burma it takes a large commitment of troops, and that then makes supply a big problem as only so much supply will flow North to Rangoon and the sea lanes are easy to interdict.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

The Japanese planned to move 3K tons of supplies/day across the railroad using the below. Assuming a 200K/day per division this meant about 7-10 divisons could be supplied since some of this supply had to go to other areas like AC, base buildup, etc.

What is interesting is after the war, the RR was considered unfit for commerical traffic due to the poor construction throughout it's length. Eventually, the RR was completed for comerical use in 1953. What is even more payback for the Japanese is that the original estimate for building the railroad was five years. Japan completed it in one [X(]. October '42 - October '43. Here is what they used while it was operational.

Attachments
Burma RR.jpg
Burma RR.jpg (55.14 KiB) Viewed 24 times
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

What if Tojo could go back in time and prevent William Holden from being born?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”