Does repairing derelict ships consume resources?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Shogouki

Does repairing derelict ships consume resources?

Post by Shogouki »

I've recently been hit with massive empire-wide resource shortages and I've been trying to figure out why. One thing that I was unsure about was repairing derelict ships. Would repairing large numbers of derelict ships (Or one massive one like the World Annihilator with a very large custom construction ship) consume resources from my stations or empire?

I also wasn't sure if the problem could be that I have too many star ports (I've been making medium ones at every planet I own to try and cash in on transactions in addition to defense) so that my resources are spread out too much, could this also be a reason?
Kayoz

RE: Does repairing derelict ships consume resources?

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: Shogouki
One thing that I was unsure about was repairing derelict ships.
Repairing derelict ships generally doesn't require resources. Only installations (pretty sure for ports, not sure about mines) and the World Destroyer type ships use resources. This should be an inconsequential amount compared to your output.
Would repairing large numbers of derelict ships (Or one massive one like the World Annihilator with a very large custom construction ship) consume resources from my stations or empire?
A relatively tiny amount. If it's having an impact on your economy, then it's like you falling over from blood loss and shock from a single mosquito bite.

Out of curiosity - what is this "very large construction ship" you built specifically for the WD? From what I experimented, there is no benefit to putting more than one shipyard and one of each plant type on a constructor. Why is yours so massive?
I also wasn't sure if the problem could be that I have too many star ports (I've been making medium ones at every planet I own to try and cash in on transactions in addition to defense) so that my resources are spread out too much, could this also be a reason?
That does sound more likely. Elliot has posted something to the effect that your freighters will be madly scrambling around trying to keep up stockpiles if you have too many ports. I suppose the "desired" stockpile level for a planet with a port is much higher than one without a port. One planet in 3 or 4 was the maximum ratio he suggested, I think. Replacing those with defence bases might help.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Shogouki

Post by Shogouki »

My construction ship was so large because I was testing to see if having more construction yards and fabs would speed up construction and repairs at all.

And the star ports being the problem was kind of what I feared. Is there anyway that a defensive base or one of the other base types could refuel and repair ships as well (By adding construction yards and fabs)? That's the other main reason I chose them over defensive bases, so that each system would have the ability to repair as well as refuel their patrols.

Anyway thank you for the help! Sorry I keep coming up with questions one at a time and end up making lots of posts...
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Actually, if you watch your constructors that are repairing the world destroyers for a while, you will notice that freighters are docking with them from time to time. It is safe to assume that this is to drop off resources that are being consumed in the process of completing the world destroyers.

Regular ship repairs I am unsure of.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: Shark7
Regular ship repairs I am unsure of.
Not from my testing.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

My construction ship was so large because I was testing to see if having more construction yards and fabs would speed up construction and repairs at all.
The only thing I have found to influence the speed of repairing the WD ships is proximity of resources, so that there is less down-time due to the construction ship waiting on resources. If you want to optimize it's repair speed, you should annex colonies in the area and build mines.

Putting more construction yards or fabrication plants on the constructor, I have found to have no effect.

Is there anyway that a defensive base or one of the other base types could refuel and repair ships as well (By adding construction yards and fabs)?
Yes, that would suffice for your means. It would help with your resource logistical problems. The only issue to be aware of is that you might have to manually tell the ships to repair at that defence base. I don't think "repair at nearest shipyard" will work, as it seems to send ships to the nearest port. But it might... *shrug*

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”