When?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Joseignacio

RE: Proper Place?

Post by Joseignacio »

ORIGINAL: pochepiller

O, wait...

I simply cannot understand why some people feel entitled to subdue any negative comments about a game. I have no title on this game so I can't talk about it? Or maybe you just want to hear happy positive comments Joseignacio?

I just hate when board like this one became too accomodating and just can't tolerate anyone against the grain.

So Joseignacio and Warspite1, when this game is coming: Less or more than one year?

David
Québec

David you can talk, of course. It's just that talk includes a lot of posible attitudes, including bashing fórum members, like your friend C-D.

As for the date, I think it's pretty clear. The game has no date yet, so if you cannot wait or just cannot sleep because you don't know when it will be released, ask for your money back. Ooops, I did it again!

I understand that people may have inquiries on when a game can be released. Even more in this one with it's history... it's just a matter of style, whining and demanding a date is not very intelligent IMO, especially when it has been said there will not be (by now) an specific date.

Exactly what entitles you two to demand a release date?

I hate acritical fanboy behabiours, but this is kinda strange, people requiring something they are not entitled to get.
Easo79

Post by Easo79 »

You wargamers seem to have very scarce pools of patience. Christians have been waiting the Second Coming of Jesus for almost 2.000 years, when apparently it was scheduled to happen in one generation, i.e approximately 30 years. And they do not complain...[8|]

This thread reminds us that our mood is not driven by facts, but by expectations. As Joseignacio points out, we are not poorer without MWiF, because we never had one. Had this project been carried out in secret, nobody would have been felt so unhappy with the delays. But we have what we have: expectations and delays. I, for my part, can only thank that delays have indeed occurred, so I am having time to read the rules, and many of the threads, and keep my karma happy in the process.

Pochepiller, nobody denies the right other forum members have to criticize whichever part they deem adequate to be criticized. But please let me post an imaginary situation…

I am going to a birthday party, I dress me up with all my fancy new clothes, and I drive my car by winding roads all over the Tramuntana. I arrive at the nice house where the party is taking place, and I ring the bell. The owner opens the door and this is what I say to him…

“Your party is a complete disgrace and you and your friends are a laughable bunch of losers”

And then I leave.

But year after year I go again to the same party and I do exactly the same. One year. And the year after. And the year after the year after. Always.

Do you really think that if some of the other guests happen to ask themselves…”why is she coming here year after year?” they are simply being intolerant and not open-minded?

Neilster, I apologize for not answering to you sooner. All I want to say here is that I am warmly touched by your consideration towards those persons that were, and still are, important in your life . I am fully confident that the existence of persons here at the forum unable to comprehend what your feelings were/are is not going to unduly hurt you.

Last but not least, I take the gauntlet on my favourite expected release date, and I'm sticking to my earlier opinion: September 1st, 2014. 75th Anniversary of Fall Weiss.

A l’hora que el sol se pon, bevent al raig de la font, he assaborit els secrets de la terra misteriosa.

Part de dins de la canal he vist l’aigua virginal venir del fosc naixement a regalar-me la boca.
pochepiller

Post by pochepiller »

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

[

I hate acritical fanboy behabiours, but this is kinda strange, people requiring something they are not entitled to get.

I did not demand a release date, I asked for educated guess, CrussDaddy isn't my friend, I'm entitled to nothing I'm just asking for a date, nobody as to answer me.

Did I get to you on a bad day because where I sounded entitled? I just asked and then you fall on my as if I insulted you personnally.

Maybe just maybe I really want to play that game and I'm curious to see when it get out. The wait and see approach might suit you but I'm a little impatient after 5 years.

I know I'm not entitled to be impatient so sorry Joseignacio, sorry for asking something.
pochepiller

Post by pochepiller »

ORIGINAL: Easo79

Pochepiller, nobody denies the right other forum members have to criticize whichever part they deem adequate to be criticized. But please let me post an imaginary situation…

I am going to a birthday party, I dress me up with all my fancy new clothes, and I drive my car by winding roads all over the Tramuntana. I arrive at the nice house where the party is taking place, and I ring the bell. The owner opens the door and this is what I say to him…

“Your party is a complete disgrace and you and your friends are a laughable bunch of losers”

And then I leave.

But year after year I go again to the same party and I do exactly the same. One year. And the year after. And the year after the year after. Always.

Do you really think that if some of the other guests happen to ask themselves…”why is she coming here year after year?” they are simply being intolerant and not open-minded?

I never shit on this party, I was a lurker for a couple of years really and now I just asked for educated guess. Why I have to defend myself? Quote me where I said something outrageaous and then I will explain myself or retract myself. This kind of self rightousness drive me crazy, I just asked for a opinion of when this game could came out.

I'm happy to see your guess of september first 2014 Easo79, that is just what I asked for.
I betting on april first 2014, everyone will think its a april fool joke and then Bam, the box is in the mail.

David
Québec
gridley

Post by gridley »

Lets bet then, I say ... ... ... April 3rd 2014, with PBEM play, no AI, no major bug with a 69.99 price.

David

If I had to guess I'd put the price tag at $200 minimum with a release date late this year.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Yes its worth it! I think D, the AI will take a long time to come out in any satisfactory fashion. Its not a bad thing for me as I only want to play with people or maybe against me to see potential strategy.

So Warspite1, play the game and stop facepalming, when this game will come out? I want your guess and thanks for all the response.

David G.
warspite1

Facepalming? I didn't even know what that was - just looked it up - and no I wasn't [;)].

"It's not worth it" was in response to a post I had written responding to you know who. But on reflection I removed it as it wasn't particularly kind. He clearly cannot help himself so (once again [8|]) I will try to simply ignore him in future.

As to your asking me for a guess, there is no point in me doing that. The only person who knows the score is Steve. If Steve does not want, or does not feel able, to give a date at this time then, as a member of the beta test team and subject to an NDA, then I cannot either.

Just for the record I came here in 2008 when the game was "nearly ready". Others have no doubt waited longer. The wait is unfortunate as it is such a great game. BUT it is a game. It's not the cure for cancer, it's not the be-all-and-end-all of life.

When I invest physical £/$ into Matrix, or into this project, then I have the right to start complaining about this decision or that decision. However I don't, it's not my cash, not my livelihood on the line - I'm just a customer - an eager customer yes, but a customer all the same.

Look at how many games out there have been released before they are ready - and what a car crash they have proven to be as a result. I say again, even after this length of wait and the anticipation that brings, I would rather this game never came out than come out with a heap of bugs.

In summary then - it will be ready when its ready.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Neilster, I apologize for not answering to you sooner. All I want to say here is that I am warmly touched by your consideration towards those persons that were, and still are, important in your life . I am fully confident that the existence of persons here at the forum unable to comprehend what your feelings were/are is not going to unduly hurt you.
Thanks...and they don't :)

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Easo79

Post by Easo79 »

And then I leave.

I never shit on this party, I was a lurker for a couple of years really and now I just asked for educated guess. Why I have to defend myself? Quote me where I said something outrageaous and then I will explain myself or retract myself. This kind of self rightousness drive me crazy, I just asked for a opinion of when this game could came out.

I'm happy to see your guess of september first 2014 Easo79, that is just what I asked for.
I betting on april first 2014, everyone will think its a april fool joke and then Bam, the box is in the mail.

David
Québec

David, obviously it was not you who I was talking about. As far as I know, you have not injured (or tried to) anyone here.
A l’hora que el sol se pon, bevent al raig de la font, he assaborit els secrets de la terra misteriosa.

Part de dins de la canal he vist l’aigua virginal venir del fosc naixement a regalar-me la boca.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

[

I did not demand a release date, I asked for educated guess, CrussDaddy isn't my friend, I'm entitled to nothing I'm just asking for a date, nobody as to answer me.

Did I get to you on a bad day because where I sounded entitled? I just asked and then you fall on my as if I insulted you personnally.

Maybe just maybe I really want to play that game and I'm curious to see when it get out. The wait and see approach might suit you but I'm a little impatient after 5 years.

I know I'm not entitled to be impatient so sorry Joseignacio, sorry for asking something.

First, my posts originally were commenting CD's rude adressing to Steven (and other members). If I had the time I could bring you many harsh posts of him sometimes in the boundary of trolling. But you must know this, since you have been lurking. [8|] Even in the latter posts you can see his ways:
It's painful to go through the old posts but this crew have burned themselves repeatedly with enthusiastic release predictions going back 5 years or more, and the failures to meet these predictions have nothing to do with poor health or any external factors: the failures hinge upon the deficiencies inherent in assigning professional expectations to what is essentially a retiree occupying his golden years with the building of birdhouses. So you're not going to get more predictions from the MWiF insiders, their only lesson learned is to circle the wagons, keeping lips sealed and mouths firmly shut while trying to ignore the Apaches on the horizon.
You arranged coitus with a human female 20 years ago, and rightly you are proud and have come here to boast of your singular achievement. I don't want to rain on your parade, I want to help you mark the occasion. Have you shown this thread to the young lady you Neilstered? I can imagine her delight: picture posted, along with current location and occupation, and the dirty deeds slyly referenced as "reunions" complete with leering Winky emoticon.
When you clench your fist and "talk to your girlfriend" do you draw a mouth in with lipstick, or is your imagination sufficient to carry the ruse?

Keep those pix coming -- it's a new day and Warspite is looking for another thrill!

Can't you see that whether this is true or not, his ways are not appropriate?

As for your posts, I am sorry if I sounded irked, the fact is that I don't like trolls (like CD, not you) and I have no patience with people defending trolla all the same.

I could agree with most of your impatience for the game release and with not few of CD's comments if presented correctly and not tossing them away to the developer and the forum members.

Yes, the game is late, yes, I am dissapointed, yes, there will be no AI by now, I dont care a damn about the Debug (besides, stupid moves can be done, and cheaters do exist), and other matters, but I don't know if this will be a newer version of CWiF with a little painting (I don't think so but again...).

But no, I don't consider that we have the right to request a date, and complain if the date we strip off him ('cause he didn't want to give one in the first place) is not fulfilled, nor we have anything to say about whether Steve wants to do the work himself or bring a team of 20 to help.

It's his decision. Nobody worked on WIF for computer except for Chris Marinacci for 5 years, if you want to do it your way you can speak with ADG and start a new project with 20 programmers, then we will see if the project is viable.

Pressing on Steve to give a date that he is not ready to give, after he did in the past and blew it, is not fair. Pressing him to release the game NOW with bugs and all, would be a temptation for any programmer who wants his ca$h now, it says a lot about Steve that he fights the temptation of cashing the game and making you happy through releasing the game and then patch it for 3 years till it works correctly.

Thank God, Steve is not Patchdox.

Again, I have nothing against you, and I share your concern and eagerness, but I am an adult and can wait the necessary time for a project to be carried correctly. One of the teenagers' traits in the game forums use to be the request of immediate release, followed once the game is released faulty (because of them) by complains about the bugs. It could be called harassment.

Let's be adult, complain about the game features or not politely, accept the game will be ready when it's ready and not a second earlier, and that Steve can have help or not depending only on his own opinion. Let's not be naughty children and call names. [:)]
Greyshaft

RE: WHEN?

Post by Greyshaft »

ORIGINAL: warspite1
Educated guess from Warspite, Crussdaddy, Neilcaster ex girlfriend, Bo, Geronimo would be great.

What is yours guess?

David
Québec
Canada
warspite1
I'm somewhere between Neilster's ex-girlfriend and Geronimo.
The vision is hideous but I hope you enjoy yourself [;)]
/Greyshaft
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

ORIGINAL: warspite1
Educated guess from Warspite, Crussdaddy, Neilcaster ex girlfriend, Bo, Geronimo would be great.

What is yours guess?

David
Québec
Canada
warspite1
I'm somewhere between Neilster's ex-girlfriend and Geronimo.
The vision is hideous but I hope you enjoy yourself [;)]
She's not into that :)

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
pochepiller

Post by pochepiller »

But no, I don't consider that we have the right to request a date,

Pressing on Steve to give a date that he is not ready to give,

Again, I have nothing against you, and I share your concern and eagerness, but I am an adult and can wait the necessary time for a project to be carried correctly.

Jose I agree with all you said but let my clarify things:
I didn't request any date, I wanted speculation to for the fun of it.
I didn't press anything on Steve and I won't.
I have nothing against you also but I'm an adult also and maybe I like to speculate about thing and talk about them without engaging any request. I'm also able to make a difference between demanding something to be ready right now and inquiring when its ready out of eagerness and curiousity.

I will wait like everybody I'm was just asking and wanted to have some fun with prediction but it seems clear to me that became difficult.

So I'll get back to lurking.

David
Quebec

elxaime

Post by elxaime »

Great works of art take time:

http://crazyhorsememorial.org/
JVJ
NeverMan

Post by NeverMan »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Lingering Frey

Steve,

When the game is available for purchase, will there be a "boxed + digital" version available or only digital?

Thanks
Wrong on both counts.[:)] Only boxed.

Really? Why? No digital only?
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: NeverMan

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Lingering Frey

Steve,

When the game is available for purchase, will there be a "boxed + digital" version available or only digital?

Thanks
Wrong on both counts.[:)] Only boxed.

Really? Why? No digital only?
We consider the Players Manual essential to play the game. Although it will be available as a PDF, its size would make printing it out on your own computer very expensive. Matrix gets the printing done at a much lower price. And reading through the Players Manual on the screen as a PDF would be frustrating rather quickly. As one example, the section on using the Production Planning form is 20 pages long with 24 screenshots.

Some will argue with the points I made above. But since you asked why, that was our logic.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Easo79

Post by Easo79 »

Steve

That would explain the no digital only thing...but why not is digital also included? I want the manual...but..(here comes the embarrasing part)...errr...my DVD/CD is broken..[:(]. I was planning to buy a new , wonderful, HUGE monitor only to satisfy my ego while conquering the world...do I need to include a DVD reader in the budget?

Shannon V. OKeets

Steve

That would explain the no digital only thing...but why not is digital also included? I want the manual...but..(here comes the embarrasing part)...errr...my DVD/CD is broken..[:(]. I was planning to buy a new , wonderful, HUGE monitor only to satisfy my ego while conquering the world...do I need to include a DVD reader in the budget?
No need.

Customers will be able to download the game as normal. The printed manuals would arrive in the mail later.
Steve

brian brian

Post by brian brian »

Couldn't the nearest Staples/Office Max/Kinko's-FedEx Office print it locally for cheaper than Matrix could deliver it to you?
CrusssDaddy

Post by CrusssDaddy »

Here's another example of this project being left behind by technology. PDF manuals look great and are very convenient on tablets... but this game isn't compatible with devices from this decade. Ship a 3lb. chunk of dead tree through the mail? Sure, made sense in 2004 so it makes sense now! Will there still be a post office when this is released? Probably (we hope)!
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: brian brian

Couldn't the nearest Staples/Office Max/Kinko's-FedEx Office print it locally for cheaper than Matrix could deliver it to you?
I doubt it.

Maybe - if you went with black and white on a poor quality paper. You would also have to assemble it somehow - using a stapler wouldn't work (not even the heavy duty stapler I have with long pronged staples).
Steve

Return to “World in Flames”