Victory conditions & scenario ending

Germany At War: Operation Barbarossa 1941 is an elegant turn-based design, inspired by classics such as Panzer General, but with more of a historical focus. You command the German forces through a branching historical campaign covering the entire 1941 campaign as well as part of the 1942 campaign. Dozens of scenarios stretch from the Soviet border all the way to Archangel and towards Astrakhan, the original military goals of Operation Barbarossa. Step into a wargame where your performance will rewrite history, through an addictive combination of compelling gameplay, realistic events and challenging battles.

Moderator: Ronald Wendt

Erik2

Victory conditions & scenario ending

Post by Erik2 »

Apologies if this has already been covered.

As far as I know there may be up to three victory conditions in a scenario.
1) Occupation of cities, bridges or other objectives
2) Occupation of certain hexes (yellow -> green)
3) Destruction of certain enemy formations.

When 1) is fulfilled, the scenario is ended automatically, even if the conditions in 2) or 3) are still not met.
Please let the scenario continue until all victory conditions are met.
Presently, you need to wait with the occupation of that last objective.

Thank you
Erik
Ronald Wendt

RE: Victory conditions & scenario ending

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hello,
ORIGINAL: Erik Nygaard

Apologies if this has already been covered.

As far as I know there may be up to three victory conditions in a scenario.
1) Occupation of cities, bridges or other objectives
2) Occupation of certain hexes (yellow -> green)
3) Destruction of certain enemy formations.

When 1) is fulfilled, the scenario is ended automatically, even if the conditions in 2) or 3) are still not met.
Please let the scenario continue until all victory conditions are met.
Presently, you need to wait with the occupation of that last objective.

Thank you
Erik

the priority of the objectives is the designers choice.

And occupation is not always leading to victory depending on the map and its conditions.
The conditions can act in combinations and as single entities for different victory types.

There are more victory conditions, but not all possibilties are covered yet.

E.g. you could make the destruction of bridges a goal.

Also on some maps you have to save own units, occupy and repair bridges to win.

All can be set as wanted, leading to an end on their own or together.

If you refer to a certain map, please name it and we can discuss the very case.

Regards,

Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

I think I have had issues with all scenarios in the A-A campaign that include the yellow/green occupation hexes.
I'll make a note of which one(s) the next time I encounter this.

But in general, I think it is bad scenario design forcing a premature ending (there are still turns left for a Brilliant victory) when not all victory conditions are met. Hope this can be rectified. The work-around is of course to leave one 'regular' victory hex unoccupied until all other criteria are met. But it is easy to forget in the heat of battle [;)]
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hello,

But in general, I think it is bad scenario design forcing a premature ending (there are still turns left for a Brilliant victory) when not all victory conditions are met. Hope this can be rectified. The work-around is of course to leave one 'regular' victory hex unoccupied until all other criteria are met. But it is easy to forget in the heat of battle [;)]

on some maps we deliberatly included this, to give the player more ways of finishing a map and to increase replayability.

We considered it fun though.

Maybe you spotted a bug in the victory condition though - usually if several goals are set under a victory, all have to be met. E.g. if you have to destroy a certain amount of strength points and you have to occupy a bridge and repair it to get brilliant, you cannot win by solving one of the two.

If there are two brilliant victories possible with one being the occupation of 5 cities and the other being the destruction of 10 named units only one of the two has to be solved.

Regards,

Return to “Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941”