Combat Mission: Market Garden

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

wings7

Combat Mission: Market Garden

Post by wings7 »

This new title was just announced yesterday. This is one of the best (maybe thee best) turn-based, real-time strategy tactical battle simulator...check it out...Combat Mission: Market Garden
http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?op ... Itemid=561

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Rtwfreak

RE: Combat Mission: Market Garden

Post by Rtwfreak »

I'll wait for Panzer Command: West front game as you don't have to pay $35-$55 PER module for Matrixgames series. The ai in PC:O is better anyways.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: wings7

This new title was just announced yesterday. This is one of the best (maybe thee best) turn-based, real-time strategy tactical battle simulator...check it out...Combat Mission: Market Garden
http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?op ... Itemid=561

Patrick

Loved the first two in the series. I'll check this one out too...
wings7

Post by wings7 »

I'm kind of surprised I haven't heard much response to this fantastic and innovative game series [&:]. Granted it is pretty pricey but it truly one of the best and has a long history (in computer gaming that is) behind it.

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
DSWargamer

Post by DSWargamer »

Combat Mission is part of a trio of assumed games. It is assumed any real wargamer has played Combat Mission, Steel Panthers and Close Combat.

I'd be interested in Combat Mission if Battlefront were interested in selling them. But their DRM policy is to my thinking, illustrative of a business not interested in make a lot of money.

Hey there has to be a reason why Slitherine Group has something like 200 games on sale here eh :)

I've checked out their Combat Mission Touch though.
I have too many too complicated wargames, and not enough sufficiently interested non wargamer friends.
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

The original Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord was brilliant. Barbarossa to Berlin was heaps of fun too but they never seemed to fix the foot movement. All your dudes were exhausted in no time. Afrika Korps was great and had more realistic foot movement.

The developers burned a lot of goodwill with Shock Force. When people didn't like the changes they were told they were wrong and stupid. Their attitude was on the nose and they appear to have forgotten the first rule of business because people voted with their wallets and didn't buy it, despite the patched improvements. They eventually included many of the things people wanted but they had to be dragged kicking and screaming to that point and by then a lot of people had already been turned off.

They feel that they "gave away the farm" with Beyond Overlord, as it modelled everything from Normandy to May 1945. That is understandable but how many people bought it precisely for that reason? I know it was one of the reasons I did. It also would have generated plenty of sales for the next two titles.

Now they've returned to Western Europe 1944 and the titles are excellent. Hopefully they've learnt a few lessons. Even if you have to pay for each instalment, consider the bang for buck you get in comparison to almost any other form of entertainment.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

Loved CMBB, the disc stayed in or near my PC for years and years. Love CM:Shock Force, it really hits a sweet spot in tactical gaming.

Not so crazy about the new WW2 games. I have everything except Gustav Line, but probably won't be getting Market Garden or anything else in the future. To me the games just require far too much micro-management. The game is crushed by it's own complexity. LOS is calculated down to the last inch, but the AI is too dumb to move that last inch over so it can engage a target; if you want a single platoon of infantry in a quick battle you must first select an entire battalion and delete everything else; on-map artillery will fire 100 rounds into a hill right in front of it instead of telling you that LOS is blocked, etc, etc
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

I don't really care to do business with them.  But I understand why some do.  Good luck with your game though.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Boomer78

Post by Boomer78 »

I'll keep playing their games until their e-license DRM requires a blood sample. That far, no further! I draw the line at body fluids.
"Fly, god dammit it fly! God damn cheap Japanese flying packs!"
SapperAstro_MatrixForum

Post by SapperAstro_MatrixForum »

I loved (still play actually) Beyond Overlord, Barbarossa to Berlin and Afrika Korps.

However, as soon as they started the new 'big daddy' drm system, I haven't touched another battlefront game. Already been burned by other games that use this system and the company dies, meanwhile, my disks from 1980's SSI games still work fine...install them, dosbox them, and suddenly I am storming across europe...

But for the record, if Battlefront ever decided to drop their system in exchange for the Matrix system, I would be there from day one.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

What is Battlefront's DRM system that everyone seems to despise? I am thinking of getting the whole CMBN bundle with everything including cheese and mayo.

But, I would like to know what I would be getting into first.

wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: jglazier

What is Battlefront's DRM system that everyone seems to despise? I am thinking of getting the whole CMBN bundle with everything including cheese and mayo.

Jeff, Here is their web page with DRM info: http://www.battlefront.com/
You won't be disappointed with this great game!

Patrick
Alchenar

Post by Alchenar »

ORIGINAL: jglazier

I'd actually just hold on a little bit - just around the corner is the Eastern Front game, and just beyond that is Shock Force 2 (NATO vs Russia in the Ukraine).

Both of those things actually matter even if you don't want them, because after they release a game Battlefront do some work porting all the engine improvements they've made back into the older games and releasing them as low price upgrades. If the Western front is absolutely your thing and you want the best possible deal then you might want to hold off on the all-inclusive bundle until it has the 3.0 upgrade in it. That's what I'm doing.
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

ORIGINAL: Boomer78

I draw the line at body fluids.

Depending on the game and who you play with, you might want to rethink that.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

Brilliant, highly immersive tactical gaming system, worth every cent. The upcoming Red Thunder eastern front game is advertised as having a lot of new features - and the beauty of the system is they back port the new features to the older modules so your investment stays up to date (for a measly $10). (ah - as mentioned above by Alchenar)
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: Boomer78

I'll keep playing their games until their e-license DRM requires a blood sample. That far, no further! I draw the line at body fluids.

That makes no sense. If you're still with them and their e-license, they already have your soul. What's a few fluids after that?
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

I don't really care to do business with them.  But I understand why some do.  Good luck with your game though.

Same here for me. With their DRM approach to things and the module sales it just makes the overall product cost too much. I could see maybe buying one module of my favorite theater but not all of them as that would get into a price range I just cannot stomach for any game series alone. Not even Civilization series did I fork out so much money. I waited a long time for the last 3 of the series before I bought into them. Once a series starts to become a series it's really just becomes extra money for the same game you bought years ago. Sure they have a few updates and content improvement but not 5 years worth like the orginal. Yet, they still want the same amout of money in most cases for it.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

Same here for me. With their DRM approach to things and the module sales it just makes the overall product cost too much. I could see maybe buying one module of my favorite theater but not all of them as that would get into a price range I just cannot stomach for any game series alone. Not even Civilization series did I fork out so much money. I waited a long time for the last 3 of the series before I bought into them. Once a series starts to become a series it's really just becomes extra money for the same game you bought years ago. Sure they have a few updates and content improvement but not 5 years worth like the orginal. Yet, they still want the same amout of money in most cases for it.

To me it's all about great game play, yes cost is an issue for some but I narrow my game purchases to well crafted games. Reviews are essential for finding out about a game, a well made game or franchise generally costs more and I will always invest in those! [:)]

Patrick
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

I think its well worth the cost,many user made scenario's,free to download.
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

To me it's worth the price just for the unique experience offered. The games never leave my hard-drive, partly because they are great, partly because of PITA experiences with the DRM and limited activations [;)]. Every gripe I have with the engine and requested features seem to be getting addressed over time. Some people don't like the idea of the paid engine updates, but I think it's a fantastic idea for giving longevity to older titles.

The thing I don't get is why the games seem to be developed separately using *almost* the same code, instead of just having a single line of engine development and plugging new content into it. Now they have a half-dozen different patches to make for every bug fix, balance tweak, etc instead of one. I would like to see something along the lines of DCS World.

Return to “General Discussion”