Is it mostly AFV fights?

A turn-based strategy game like no other has landed. Approachable, absorbing and visually impressive yet detailed, Battle Academy aims to revolutionise the strategy games market with a blend of intuitive design and compelling game play driven by cutting edge technical innovation. The game has more than 30 battles in a range of theatres of war from the North African desert through D-Day to the to the snowy Ardennes mountains where the Allies battled to repel the final German offensive. Now with additional battles on the Western Front with the expansions 'Blitzkrieg France', 'Market Garden', 'Operation Husky', 'Sealion' and 'Rommel in Normandy'.

Moderator: MOD_Slitherine

Uncle_Joe

Is it mostly AFV fights?

Post by Uncle_Joe »

Hi all,

I recently checked out the demo and I was pretty impressed. I'm a pretty heavily jaded tactical gamer these days (playing mostly SPWaW for my WW2 fix) but I like what I saw in BA in terms of detail vs playability.

My question though is whether the gameplay (and I guess most of the campaign missions) are more AFV or infantry oriented? The demo made AFVs seem to be very important and much more common than infantry which strikes me as somewhat backwards. Looking at some the screenshots for the game I see a lot of tank-orgies.

So, before I tank the plunge, I'd like to know what other people think of the balance between tank and infantry battles. I prefer my WW2 battles closer to Squad Leader where AFVs tend to be more support for the infantry. I'm not a big fan of games where infantry are just a sideshow to the masses of armor.

Thanks!
Rosseau

RE: Is it mostly AFV fights?

Post by Rosseau »

I think there are well over 100 units, with non-armored weapon systems of every description. Armor cannot just walk over AT guns and infantry close assaults in this game. Urban combat is especially deadly to mechanized vehicles. I have all but the newest add-on. Market Garden for one, is very infantry oriented, imo.
DSWargamer

Post by DSWargamer »

Mostly AFV fights?

Nope.

I have fought and hacked my way so many games where there wasn't a single unit I could casually disregard as not worth something.

That small mortar might be the only reason your tank was able to get off a taunting shot that vexed the enemy armour unit to return fire so that the tank hunter infantry unit was able to close with and force the surrender of the tank you might have otherwise been unable to defeat in a shot vs shot contest.

I have had to sit and waste 2 precious turns waiting for the artillery to pound the heck out of a location so that my forces had a chance of closing with a defensive position so I could knock out an anti aircraft gun that was trashing my air support that was needed to strike at some defensive armour I couldn't take out.

This game requires you understand every single unit, because there isn't a single unit that has all encompassing superiority.

I see people complain about things like Tiger tanks for instance. Since gaming though, I have taken half as many prisoner as I have actually killed outright. And the damnable things break down too, so being the one with the Tiger tank is no reason to think you can just shoot the hell out of everything. They're slow moving too.

I have no favourite units, but, I must confess, having no artillery sucks very greatly. Your most prized items will often be a truck for your mortars and self propelled artillery pieces. I'd rather have a rocket equipped half track or a mortar carrying one than a Tiger tank. Bishops are also cool and Priests and M8 HMCs.
I have too many too complicated wargames, and not enough sufficiently interested non wargamer friends.
Uncle_Joe

Post by Uncle_Joe »

OK, thanks guys. I went ahead and picked it up and so far, so good.

I'm looking to play more skirmish-like games so if anyone has any pointers to some good ones, I'd appreciate it.

I already found the Beta-Base-Ski mod or whatnot and I've played once and enjoyed it.

Thanks again!
Rtwfreak

Post by Rtwfreak »

Merr_quickbattle is the way to go if you want random skirmishes by nation like British, German and US and then he has made a Merr_skirmish_Iv mod as well all very good and very fun. You'll also find Normandy random and Normandy skirmish in the main game. You get to pick your units as well from a list of units.
Uncle_Joe

Post by Uncle_Joe »

ORIGINAL: Rtwfreak

Merr_quickbattle is the way to go if you want random skirmishes by nation like British, German and US and then he has made a Merr_skirmish_Iv mod as well all very good and very fun. You'll also find Normandy random and Normandy skirmish in the main game. You get to pick your units as well from a list of units.

Yep, that's more what I'm looking for. I found the quick battle one, but the link for Merr Skirmish I found is dead. :/

Do you per chance have a working link for it?

Thanks again! Really enjoying the game so far!

Return to “Battle Academy”