Modified combat results question

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

smokindave34

Modified combat results question

Post by smokindave34 »

In my current game with Sapper I continue to have on average 75% of my battles end up with a modified combat value lower than the non-modified value. I have excellent leaders in place so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Could it be the fact that I have no air support (Sapper has been bombing my airfields relentlessly from turn 1 and in September '42 I'm down to about 400 fighters left.....). Here are a few examples:

I'm still (for the moment at least) winning most of these battles however that won't last much longer. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments
Screenshot1.jpg
Screenshot1.jpg (210.13 KiB) Viewed 16 times
smokindave34

RE: Modified combat results question

Post by smokindave34 »

Attachments
Screenshot2.jpg
Screenshot2.jpg (215.16 KiB) Viewed 16 times
smokindave34

Post by smokindave34 »

Attachments
Screenshot3.jpg
Screenshot3.jpg (206.35 KiB) Viewed 16 times
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

My guess is that his bombers and artillery are causing the final drop in CVs by massive disruptions, even if you pass the leader checks. He seems to be getting in anywhere between 40-60 shturmoviks on these attacks and that is no joke.
WitE Alpha Tester
morvael

Post by morvael »

Isn't that because the fort level went down during combat?
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Does the fort reduction check occur before or after final CV calculation? Not sure about this.

WitE Alpha Tester
morvael

Post by morvael »

The one from enemy engineers in battle - I think yes, but I am unable to confirm this until next week. I may be mistaken though.
How does command modifiers look like for the Axis forces? We can't see them on the screens (exept one). I think the initial CV does not take them into account, which would explain the "drop". But I'm more convinced about the fort effect.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Fort level reduction caused by engineers can result in the reduction of the final defending modified combat value
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Well, there you go, that would explain it.

WitE Alpha Tester
smokindave34

Post by smokindave34 »

Thanks Flaviusx and morvael. I didn't think this was the result of my leaders failing their dice rolls. Sappers and Sturmoviks......not sure I have a succesfull counter to that.

Michael T

Post by Michael T »

A curious thing have noted in my tests. It seems defending CV's go down further from a Lvl 1 fort to Lvl 0 (or Lvl 2 to Lvl 1) than they would go from just being a Lvl 0 in the first place. So I try to avoid defending a hex in the open if the fort level is a lowish Lvl 1 that will most likely go to Lvl 0 due to sappers.

If you get my explanation it seems you are better off in a high percentage fort that is at a lower level than a higher fort level at a lower percentage.

Eg. A Level 1 fort at say 50% is better than a Level 2 fort at 5 %. All things being equal it seems the defenders in the Level 2 fort will always end up with a lower final CV if sappers reduce to fort to level 1 in comparison to the final CV of the defenders who were in a level 1 fort that was not reduced.

I noticed this in testing various blizzard defences for the Axis.
smokindave34

Post by smokindave34 »

ORIGINAL: Michael T

A curious thing have noted in my tests. It seems defending CV's go down further from a Lvl 1 fort to Lvl 0 (or Lvl 2 to Lvl 1) than they would go from just being a Lvl 0 in the first place. So I try to avoid defending a hex in the open if the fort level is a lowish Lvl 1 that will most likely go to Lvl 0 due to sappers.

If you get my explanation it seems you are better off in a high percentage fort that is at a lower level than a higher fort level at a lower percentage.

Eg. A Level 1 fort at say 50% is better than a Level 2 fort at 5 %. All things being equal it seems the defenders in the Level 2 fort will always end up with a lower final CV if sappers reduce to fort to level 1 in comparison to the final CV of the defenders who were in a level 1 fort that was not reduced.

I noticed this in testing various blizzard defences for the Axis.

Thanks Michael - thats very interesting. I'll try this approach in my game with Sapper to see what results I get. He is using lots of Sappers so this may come in useful.
morvael

Post by morvael »

ORIGINAL: Michael T

If I am correct it's because the initial CV is calculated using fractional parts of fort levels, but final CV uses only whole fort levels. Therefore with a reduction of 0.10 a 2.05 fort will be reduced to 1, while 1.20 will stay at 1, and you won't see such a high reduction.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”