Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.3 released 40 races

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Tehlongone

RE: Distant Worlds Extended

Post by Tehlongone »

Intelligence as far as I know, governs how logically the AI behaves, it used to also govern how well they designed their ships not sure if that is still the case. As I see it if the AI behaves more competently the game is improved.

Has the game abandoned that since the last expansion? It certainly used to be the case.
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

It doesn't affect how intelligently they behave or how they design ships, it affects research speed and I can't think of anything else. Their ship designs were designed based on how intelligent they are relatively but upping intelligence wont change the designs, they will just research faster.
Tehlongone

Post by Tehlongone »

From the modding guide:
"Intelligence: influences research speed and the general smartness of interaction with other empires. Normal value is 100. Valid values from 50 to 150."
and from the Galactopedia: Stronger troops and more components in ship design.

As it wasn't mentioned in the modding guide I'm guessing the Galactopedia is outdated and no longer reflects the game. I do however remember how ship designs were significantly better with higher intelligence races, in prior games from before the expansion (or maybe before if I missed when it was changed). I guess the effect isn't as large as it used to be but it seems it still affects diplomatic decisions.

I just like having the races spread out a bit more, and I'd rather have the Mechanoids at 150 and Shakturi at 138, but I suppose that's not really essential.
MorningDew

Post by MorningDew »

I am getting the following error when I apply the theme: More bias values than races at line 12 in ffile C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\Customization\Distant Worlds Extended\biases.txt

Any suggestions?
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

It doesn't make sense, this would only happen if you have modified the theme. What version of the game are you running?
MorningDew

Post by MorningDew »

I have definitely not modded the game, at least on purpose:) I'm running 1.9.0.8.

Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

Then the only other thing I can think of is that you have no extracted the zip file properly. Try deleting the folder and extracting the entire zip file to the right location again. Also make sure you have downloaded version 3.0.3.
MorningDew

Post by MorningDew »

I tried it on my laptop, which is also running 1.9.0.8 and it worked fine. So obviously there is something different about my home desktop. But I now have a working version so I know it is something about my environment.

Thanks for the advice and help. Will let you know what fixes it (guessing it was a corrupted extraction).

CONFIRMED. Redownloaded and extracted and no error.
Trev_lite

Post by Trev_lite »

the new patch changes the design templates.
will this mod be patched to take advantage of the new templates?
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

Updated to 1.9.0.10
Fishers of Men

Post by Fishers of Men »

Thank you!
Old............but very fast
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

No problem ;)
tylertoo

Post by tylertoo »

ORIGINAL: Haree78

Updated to 1.9.0.10

I've been using this great mod for a while, many thanks.

Questions: I updated the game itself to 1.9.0.10 and then started a new game with the earlier version of your mod as the theme, and everything seems fine. I am now using eight races from Extended, but without your update. Is there any reason I should now update the mod? If I do, will it break the savegame? I don't feel like starting over.

Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

Update the mod now, your current game will be using old out of date designs, your next game will be fine.
tylertoo

Post by tylertoo »

ORIGINAL: Haree78

Update the mod now, your current game will be using old out of date designs, your next game will be fine.

Thanks for the quick reply, downloading now [:D]. Sorry to be dense but: does 'your next game will be fine' mean the current savegame will include new designs once your update is installed, or only the next game I start from scratch?

(I've never understood whether the resources of a theme are integrated only at the creation of the game or continually throughout a game).
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

Only when you start a game from scratch.
scotten_usa

Post by scotten_usa »

Not sure if it's mentioned in this mega-thread, but always remember to switch to the Extended theme after applying patches. I could not determine why DW crashed on exit, until I realized the most recent patch reset the them to vanilla DW.
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

Looks like the last patch fixes the pirates using the wrong image types so looks like the mod is fixed with no update required :)
Yskonyn

Post by Yskonyn »

Thanks Haree! It's such a nice mod!
Yskonyn -

Desktop: Intel i7 9700K @5.0Ghz, Nvidia RTX3080Ti, 32GB RAM, Win 11 64bit
Laptop: Acer Swift 3 Intel i7 1065G7, Nvidia MX350, 8GB RAM, Win 11 64 bit.
mSterian

RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.2 released 38 races

Post by mSterian »

I have a simmilar issue. My game sometimes skips frames horribly when I select a ship/base. Mostly when that ship/base it taking damage.

Return to “Design and Modding”