Looking for an opponent

For non-server PBEM games, post here to look for an opponent.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Dangun

RE: Looking for an opponent

Post by Dangun »

Would you like a return game, 'road to Leningrad' with me as the Germans?
Or in other words... now that you've demonstrated to me what I didn't know about defense, it would be great if you could show me what I don't know about attack! :)

(I understand that I probably get a lot more out of these games than you do, but it is a good learning experience.)

Cheers
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

any time either side ill run ya through gj fighting me to a draw though =))) from the map it looked pretty grim
Dangun

Post by Dangun »

Please suggest a scenario that suits you and I'd very much like some feedback on me playing the GHC.
ORIGINAL: Hermann
through gj fighting me to a draw though =))) from the map it looked pretty grim

I think you kindly left Leningrad un-assaulted. And i've noticed in the few games I've played against the AI that the GHC victory conditions are harder to get than the SHC.
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

couldn't get Leningrad isolated theres a port on the east side my finns got next to it but couldn't attack and my armor was 1 turn from taking it. Leningrad isn't out of supply till that port falls and its useless to attack it. I captured the city but that didn't help much. kiev scenario is tough as axis. stay on the move but don't get greedy all you have to do is prevent me from fortifying in front of you especially along rivers. Russians have serous offensive potential and sending out lone tank divs is suicide. keep the advances simple and clean small pockets and advance to the next river =)
Dangun

Post by Dangun »

ORIGINAL: Hermann

couldn't get Leningrad isolated theres a port on the east side my finns got next to it but couldn't attack and my armor was 1 turn from taking it. Leningrad isn't out of supply till that port falls and its useless to attack it.

Interesting. I didn't know that at all.
I guess I hadn't thought through why Leningrad was in supply.
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

yup that's the whole objective of the scenario - beginners luck I guess it was the one hex you were defending =)))
Dangun

Post by Dangun »

After much internal debate I finished the first turn.

I must admit that I looked at a few AAR and they all seem to describe a "Lwow pocket." My first thought was to imitate one of these. But when I loaded up the game there are all these 6 factor armor units in the way. So I tried, but looking at all of the units in and just outside the pocket, I don't think the pocket holds.

The second thing I noticed was that the low odds attack are hard to judge. At least once I took a 3.5:1/4:1 only to have to redo it again at better odds.

I think a lot more can/will go wring as the attacking player :)
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

the Lvov pocket is choreographed you have to do it in just the right sequence using the 3 units east of the river to bump the tank unit on the river away. then hit the cavalry unit out of the way and a couple at guns and youll see a path open up takes practice
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

against most vets not closing Lvov is suicide Im a bit more easy going and I walk out instead of railing out and forting. theres a limited version that breaks the rail connection I prefer.
Dangun

Post by Dangun »

OK, turn done and I've tried to close the Lwow pocket again.

I had two questions you might be able to help me with.

4 new panzer units appear on the border north of Krakow this turn, but I was unable to rail move them. Is that normal?

I seem to be having trouble understanding attacks. I had 33 factors of panzer sitting 3 hexes east of Tarnopol attacking a clear hex with 3 factors defending it. It took 3 attacks to dislodge the stack. It was sitting in a number 2 fortification but still? There seems to be a greater variability of combat results than I remember from other similar board games.

**edit** I just thought of a third question. I received 3 white inf reinforcements on turn 2 labelled OKH but seemingly without an HQ. I should assign them to an HQ? Shouldn't I?
Dangun

Post by Dangun »

Just having a look at turn 3 now and there is clearly something fundamental that I don't understand about pocketing, or movement once cut off.
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

its morale. Morale affects movement cost per hex. Mech units add fuel to the mix - once cut off theyre pretty much screwed unless you airdrop fuel to em . Infantry movement isn't affected and cavalry is through the ceiling. the key to cutting off Russians early on is zones of control. theres a huge movement cost, turn 1 the Russian has a major morale disadvantage and simply cant move into non adjacent enemy zones of control so you can get away with murder. After that you need to be aware of rail lines, move units forward to create a zoc wall between you and potential enemy forces and cut rail lines to prevent them from reinforcing the area then pull back a hex to prevent counterattack. you cant get between 2 units unless you start next to them without paying an enormous movement cost so as long as theres a hex or so of friendly zoc hexes on both sides of the surrounding unit youre okay your can breakdown into regiments on the pocket side to prevent movement but don't risk it on the active front of the pocket. this turn you did everything right there was no way for me to free my comrades due to the zoc screening your forces. use armor to penetrate enemy lines and displace them when theyre fortified strongly don't go head to head and keep the penetration 3 hexes wide at minimum. this forces the enemy to abandon fortified lines and fall back to undeveloped positions take the chance to build up and widen your hole with inf then push the tanks through.
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

ORIGINAL: Dangun

OK, turn done and I've tried to close the Lwow pocket again.

I had two questions you might be able to help me with.

4 new panzer units appear on the border north of Krakow this turn, but I was unable to rail move them. Is that normal?

I seem to be having trouble understanding attacks. I had 33 factors of panzer sitting 3 hexes east of Tarnopol attacking a clear hex with 3 factors defending it. It took 3 attacks to dislodge the stack. It was sitting in a number 2 fortification but still? There seems to be a greater variability of combat results than I remember from other similar board games.

**edit** I just thought of a third question. I received 3 white inf reinforcements on turn 2 labelled OKH but seemingly without an HQ. I should assign them to an HQ? Shouldn't I?

rail may be a scenario thing im not sure. the attack factors in airpower, fortifications and attachments if it wasn't a fixed attack its hard to break forts and yes attach okh units to hqs
Dangun

Post by Dangun »

Appreciate the notes.
As per your suggestion, I spent some time this turn going through the white OKH reinforcements and assigning them to different HQs.
And for the first time had a look at leaders. I was shocked! Some of the starting GHC leaders are pretty bad, so I paid to swap them out.
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

don't think you realize how important supply is - the ghq rail construction units you move by hand and click on the number on the counter to repair lines manually - these are the most important units in the game -letting me kill the 11th army one was a huge blunder. got me some Slovak air units this turn. stop leaving these support units out where I can nab em =)
Dangun

Post by Dangun »

Yes it was a bit careless. :)
Now we've come to a situation I don't know how to handle. With the medium to large cities is the best idea to line up outside and just blast your way in. Or do I need to cross the Dnepr and cut them off from supply first?
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

Cutting them off from supply is always better for the offense as it will cause more casualties for the defender and less for the attacker. So if you can isolate cities before attacking them, it is always the best way to go. But sometimes you won't be able to do that!
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

agree there never get caught in a fight on disadvantageous terms when ya come to a roadblock bypass it and force them out of position
Dangun

Post by Dangun »

On the crossing of 'big' rivers like the Dnieper, is it better to go with a stack of high morale panzer or a stack of high factor (but lower morale) regular inf?
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

tanks cant cross into an enemy zoc without expending massive movement and are basically useless in the attack you need to cross at a road hex using mixed inf an armor have armor adjacent to the attacked hex that doesn't take part in the attack - strongest you have and inf with high movement nearby if is more effective for the attack and defending the bridgehead the next turn move the inf away and bring in armor

Return to “Opponents Wanted”