Operational Boot Camp (tutorial)

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

markwall06

RE: Operational Boot Camp (tutorial)

Post by markwall06 »

ORIGINAL: dlazov66

I wrote this prior to any patches back in Dec shortly after release. Most of the concepts and ideas should still be achievable. You may not have an exact follow step a-z but for the most part it should suffice.

Some of the rules have changed since release such as the extra MP cost for regiments and brigades and the new morale rules etc. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have cause and I hope you still get something out of the guide.

Oh yes, as I said I wasn't being critical - I have found it really useful. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

I do find that there is some presumption of quite detailed background knowledge of the actual conflict in many of the forum messages I have read. For example I have read of enthusiasts wishing to create new AFV's and requesting information on armo(u)r thickness, likewise there are posts regarding the range of various recon aircraft. I know there is a place for that level of detail but I think on a game of this scale that sort of minutiae is really meaningless, although I do accept that is my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own.

I have been playing wargames since the mid-70's when I was introduced to them at school, but at that time I always struggled to find opponents. The games were set up and all the counters stuck down with bluetac. At the end of the lunch hour they would be moved to a table at the end of the classroom and you hoped nobody moved the pieces in your absence. The result was the counters ended up pretty much spoiled by the grease from the bluetac, and games seldom were finished.

I had an enforced break from them whilst at Uni and work and then the kids came along meaning games could not be left set up on the table. I do recall a board game - "Turning Point: Stalingrad", which I still have somewhere I think, that would spend many days on the dining room table. It did have good solitaire playability as the turns were conducted in phases, so you could never be sure if which side would have its go next.

In the late 80's the computer came along and at last gave me an opponent to play against, but I never really LEARNT how to play.

Anyway, I'm rambling.

I'm really envious of all you grognards who talk so knowledgeably about strategy and tactics - I've spent more time reading the forum posts than playing the game so far.
[:)]

parusski

Post by parusski »

I too can no longer move the broken down regiments of 11th Division after movement. If I stop one hex short, then I can move the regiments.

BUT I love the boot camp-it is a God send.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Champagne

Post by Champagne »

I agree with all the praise for Don.

What an incredibly wonderful service he has performed for us.

Don, what's the best way to understand Air Doctrine? I read the manual about this subject and it's still a bit hazy to me.
Only the dead have seen the end of War.

-- Plato
cookie monster

Post by cookie monster »

Ive uploaded the player guide to The WitE wiki.

I guess that's not a problem. Here's the link http://witewiki.com/mediawiki/index.php/Getting_Started
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

I've created a PDF version of dlazov66's Turn Guide if anyone would like to utilize it.

Attachments
WITETurnGuide.zip
(53.04 KiB) Downloaded 781 times
Member since January 2007 (as Gray_Lensman)

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Computering since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
cookie monster

Post by cookie monster »

ORIGINAL: Gandalf

I've created a PDF version of dlazov66's Turn Guide if anyone would like to utilize it.

Thanks Ive added it to the wiki

Here http://witewiki.com/mediawiki/index.php/Getting_Started
marty_01

Post by marty_01 »

I’m late to posting to this thread. However I still wanted to say thumbs up for posting this tutorial Dlazov66. There are numerous subtle aspects to the game that I would probably never have picked-up upon had I not read through this tutorial.
ird

Post by ird »

DLazov,

I've just finished your boot camp tutorial and wanted to say thanks for an awesome lesson. The tutorial provided with the game had me wondering what was going on but yours has answered many of those questions
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

Yes great tutorial.
Taipan61

Post by Taipan61 »

Thank-you for the time and effort you have put into making this tuturial. The way it is set out makes it very easy to read and follow. 10/10
macnab

Post by macnab »

Many thanks to you Dlazov, for putting this together, as someone thinking of getting the game it is very helpful to see how the game runs, of course i dont have the manual so i cant see everything, but it did look daunting!, i understood the basics from looking at your boot camp tutorial, and as you said some things can be put on auto while you are learning, so i will probaly take the plunge, look forward to seeing more of your stuff again thanks [:)]
Caltone

Post by Caltone »

I'll echo what so many others have said, thank you Don for the fantastic work on this. I finally got around to picking up the last week and this is the single best introduction/tutorial to the game that I have seen anywhere.
"Order AP Hill to prepare for battle" -- Stonewall Jackson
Swenslim

Post by Swenslim »

WOW! Amazing results! 
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

Can someone please direct me to the link for the PDF version Trying to find the file at the file planet or whatever its called, is nigh on impossible, as have to wade through a 1000 adds
Ron
Formerly Goodwood

DTurtle

Post by DTurtle »

Here is the version linked to on the WITE wiki.
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

Thanks Dturtle
Formerly Goodwood

Woof Woof

Post by Woof Woof »

I'm a bit slow coming to the party but want to say thanks to all those that have contributed to the WiTE topics. After reading this tutorial and some of the after action reports I've ordered a copy of the game. Can't wait for it to arrive so I can get started.

Thanks again. [:)]
VManteuffel

Post by VManteuffel »

A really nice stuff ! What a work !
Thx a lot ! [&o]
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I have the tutorial and I was following along and I noticed that it's different regarding the units as of 2015?

Am I wrong on this b/c I am following along and the early pages have different attachments for the units.
davidnorman

Post by davidnorman »

Is this still available for download....Many Thanks

Return to “The War Room”