Rescued remnant Dutch Units

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

wga8888

Rescued remnant Dutch Units

Post by wga8888 »

Mimicking play from DOS Pacific War, I have been rescuing Dutch engineer, infantry, and plane; some cases parts of such units. Not sure what I am to do with them given the low Dutch replacement rates; most will remain understrength but I can swap them out for the Australian units in Tasmania and other backwaters. I guess the are less IJN than if they were left to die/surrender.

Am open to suggestions
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
Discord: wga8888 #7339
817-501-2978 CST [-6 GMT]
Capt

RE: Rescued remnant Dutch Units

Post by Capt »

The Dutch Recon aircraft will, much later, upgrade to P-38s and be very useful. The fighters do not upgrade to anything useful.

You can always use more base forces but it sounds like the Japanese are pretty close to autovictory conditions.
"Hit first ! Hit hard ! Keep on hitting ! ! (The 3 H's)"

Jacky Fisher
wga8888

Post by wga8888 »

Game is only in Feb 1942, so I have time. It is unwise for my Allies to strongly contest anything at this point; the IJN can do whatever it wants to with adequate commitment.
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
Mobeer

Post by Mobeer »

Dutch recon planes are good to save, along with patrol planes.

Base forces can be used in rear areas to replace other allied base forces (kept to rear since Dutch troop replacements are rare)
tankboy

Post by tankboy »

I try and pull as many Dutch engineers out as I can although priority is to US engineers in the PI. Most of the Dutch units are so small that they are a cheap buy. As the war progresses and I have rescued everything I can out of the PI, I start paying for Dutch units. Another thing to do is consolidate units and then deactivate them. They reappear in Australia for free.
turkey

Post by turkey »

The support, engineering and engineering vehicle elements in the Dutch base forces including aviation support replace from the massive allied replenishment stockpiles, so not to worry about the slow Dutch infantry and sapper squad replenishment rates. Dutch base force units rapidly become useful as base forces even if the AV remains low.
Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more.
George S. Patton
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

Only take one Dutch infantry regiment, if any. Also, the Dutch Navy BFs have some 6" CD guns on TOE that render the unit static once they arrive, so put them where you want them to see out the war.
"I am Alfred"
wga8888

Post by wga8888 »

How does one deactivated and consolodate ground units? I know how this is done with air units? I have a remnant of a Dutch DAF consisting of 2x12.5aamg and 1 support. by itself it is worthless. I would like to roll this into another larger DAF.
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
turkey

Post by turkey »

If its a fragment, you can only roll it into its parent unit. If the parent unit gets destroyed then the fragment becomes the parent and will rebuild.
Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more.
George S. Patton
tankboy

Post by tankboy »

Turkey is right. Dutch engineers rebuild quickly. They are "cheap" to convert HQ and then rebuild quickly when they are near supply. I also try and get out the recon A/C. I leave the infantry regiments to die as they are too expensive and I would rather rescue American units from the PI.

Return to “The War Room”