Ode to the strategy guide

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

I am simply thrilled from the strategy guide!

Only twice in my already long playing career of strategy gaming I have spent money on a strategy guide.
Both acquisitions were o.k. but also sobering - I should have saved my money.

Of course I have seen the strategy guide to "Highway To The Reich" in the Matrix catalog.

But I did not understand why I should spend money for it. And quite honestly, I thought, I was of the opinion this is to rip off to bare money making.

WRONG! COMPLETELY WRONG!!

The "Highway To The Reich" strategy guide is informative, interesting, entertaining and easy to read.
It is rich and beneficial illustrated.

And it reserves its validity for the most part for the current Command Ops games!

One can find general (military - structures, schedules, etc.), system-/series specific (Command Ops series), specific (Highway To The Reich original game) and information about the campaign (OOB information for the used equipment, Operation Market Garden campaign analysis) information.

All very interesting - frequently my "Ah! - light bulb” turned on.

Much now is more understandable to me. Many things I do differently today.
Due to the advanced understanding also my fun playing the game has risen.

I say the strategy guide "Highway To The Reich" is a worthwhile purchase and I regret, and I am angry that I saved a few coins for the "Highway To The Reich" strategy guide in the past.

Whether you will understand my excitement as recommendation to buy?
Well….

For, Command Ops – masters not too much new can be found in the strategy guide.
Worth reading, and though perhaps only as a reference book, it is all the time

For, Command Ops beginners and perplexed gamers some answers and tips should be found in the strategy guide.

I salute the authors: Steve „Golf33“ Long, Mark „MarkShot“ Kratzer und Steve Barnes for their outstanding written "Highway To The Reich" strategy guide.
wodin

RE: Ode to the strategy guide

Post by wodin »

Own it myself..the manual that came with HTTR was good enough I found..however I do agree it is still a worthwhile purchase. I expect some of it is now out of date and their will be features not mentioned..but the core aspect will still be valid.
xnavytc

Post by xnavytc »

Can the strategy still be purchased, I went to matrix games and to panther games and it says its discontinued. Also can it be downloaded?

TC ET1(SS)
TC ET1(SS)
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

Just buy the CO: HTTR expansion pack...

Also, registered owners of the game will receive the strategy guide that came with the original Highway to the Reich game as a free download bonus from our Member’s Club!
simovitch

xnavytc

Post by xnavytc »

I have purchased bftb, httr, and greeks but cant find a strategy guide??
TC ET1(SS)
xnavytc

Post by xnavytc »

Its not listed under manuals or documentation, in bftb, I've already installed httr and greeks.
TC ET1(SS)
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

ORIGINAL: xnavytc
I have purchased bftb, httr, and greeks but cant find a strategy guide??
Its not listed under manuals or documentation, in bftb, I've already installed httr and greeks.
You have to download the strategy guide from the members club! [:)]
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

ORIGINAL: simovitch

Just buy the CO: HTTR expansion pack...

Also, registered owners of the game will receive the strategy guide that came with the original Highway to the Reich game as a free download bonus from our Member’s Club!
That's right, to get it you have to buy the expansion 'Command Ops: Highway to the Reich'.

To make it clear once again, the expansion, 'Command Ops: Highway to the Reich' is an add-on.
You need the main game 'Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge' before!

Another expansion is 'Command Ops: Battles for Greece'.

With the expansion 'Command Ops: Highway to the Reich' you get the strategy guide and the 8-year-old original game 'Highway to the Reich' with it.

I find this is an unbeatable bundle.

The Command Ops series are outstanding.
After reading the strategy guide, I realize how special this series really is.
xnavytc

Post by xnavytc »

I have gone to the members club and when I click on the guide it sends me to the store to buy it, but says its discontinued, and for the record I have all the expansions and BFTB
TC ET1(SS)
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

ORIGINAL: xnavytc

I have gone to the members club and when I click on the guide it sends me to the store to buy it, but says its discontinued, and for the record I have all the expansions and BFTB
Something is not right... Can someone else who purchased the HTTR expansion pack verify this?
simovitch

Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

I would try, but I can't find it anywhere in the Members Club. Someone tell me where it is, please?
fogg

Post by fogg »

Go to Members Club. In the list of the games look for Command Ops HTTR. Clic on Registered and you will go to the page from which you can download the Strategy Guide (and the code).
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Thanks Fogg. Done that and it all downloads fine for me.
Nox0s

Post by Nox0s »

Is the expansion HTTR all the scenarios from the old game imported into the new engine or something else? I'm a bit unclear on this.

And does the strategy guide go beyond the standard BFTB manual in terms of explaining some things?
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Not all. 13 of them, I think. And the Strat guide is more informative than the manual, yes, but you don't need it - it doesn't give you the technical details about how to do this and that - the manual does that - it deals more with tactical stuff. It wouldn't be a reason to buy the HTTR add-on, imho. The add-on lets you play some very excellent scenarios (From the Meuse to the Rhine is my bête noir, sadly....) with all the BFTB engine features - worth it for itself, I think.
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

I am thrilled with the strategy guide and very glad that I have it.

HTTR Strategy Guide

- Principles of war compact explained.
- Lots of information to which one has not thought so far of.
- Richly illustrated.
- Easy, well and readily understandable written.
- Many terms from the series explains and expanded defined.
- Read it and you will see the 'Command Ops Series' in a different light.
- Less or nothing of what a motivated / committed strategy player didn't knows, but a good repetition.
- Many more helpful information.

The HTTR Strategy Guide
Maybe not a 'must have', but definitely a 'nice to have'. [:)]

Return to “Command Ops Series”