Distant Worlds Shadows Updated to 1.9.0.11

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Gerry Edwards

Distant Worlds Shadows Updated to 1.9.0.11

Post by Gerry Edwards »

Available by clicking "Check for Updates" on your game menu and also here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/466/downloads/

Please unzip it and run the included file to install it.

Change History:
This build has the following changes from version 1.9.0.10:

CRASH FIXES
- fixed rare crash when selecting space creatures

BUG FIXES
- fixed pirate attack missions not completing due to message "Mission has been canceled because it has been captured by someone else"
- fixed bug where exploration ships sometimes get stuck at planet
- fixed rare bug where captured ships would sometimes not be scrapped or disassembled when empire policy specified that they should be
- fixed bug where "Most Time At War" race victory condition was sometimes not completing
- fixed bug where Defensive Bases were not being designed beyond current maximum base construction size, even though typically built at a colony (no construction size limits)
- ensured that Defensive Base designs always correctly show in design list in Designs screen when filter is set to "Show Latest Buildable Designs" or "Show Buildable Non-Obsolete Designs"
- no longer incorrectly cancel transport missions when cargo pick-up point is destroyed but freighter has already loaded cargo
- now properly preserve Engagement Stance settings for manually controlled ships when start a new game

CHARACTERS, RACES AND MODDING
- implemented missing Character skills: SmugglingIncome, SmugglingEvasion, BoardingAssault
- fixed bug where Colony Ground Report screen would have blank planetary background if a custom theme did not include a set of PlanetMap images. Now properly fallback to default images if theme does not contain any
- new settings now avilable to add to race files: CharacterRandomAppearanceChancePirateLeader, CharacterRandomAppearanceChanceShipCaptain, CharacterStartingTraitPirateLeader, CharacterStartingTraitShipCaptain
- fixed problem with custom characters where startup characters would sometimes not appear because they were being assigned to pirate factions of the same race
- pirate troops now properly use correct image of their race

GAME BALANCE
- further increased defensive troop levels at non-player homeworlds, especially on higher difficulty levels
- updated Planet Destroyer design to make slightly stronger
- Creative Reengineering race event (Ugnari) now only occurs for research projects less than 60% complete

USER INTERFACE
- added construction resource shortage icon to colony and base lists in Empire Navigation Tool
- changed color of "Local Defense Tactics" message to green in Selection Panel (when fleet with relevant Admiral selected)

OTHER
- improved game performance, especially in late-game with large empires
- now periodically check for and nationalize any unowned cargo at bases/colonies from defeated empires

This Build has the following changes from version 1.9.0.8 to 1.9.0.10:

CRASH FIXES
- fixed rare crash with mining
- fixed rare crash when expiring old pirate missions
- fixed rare crash when planet destroyed
- fixed rare crash when drawing hovered ship information
- fixed various other crashes

BUG FIXES
- fixed bug where could not build pirate Criminal Network facility at empire-owned colonies (could previously only do this at independent colonies)
- now properly cancel pirate attack missions when target of mission is destroyed or captured by someone else
- fixed bug in "Most Homeworlds" race victory condition (was incorrectly counting conquered enemy homeworlds)
- fixed bug where could not scrap bases at independent colonies
- fixed bug where could not build oversize bases at colonies via construction Action buttons under Selection Panel
- fixed problem where pirate colony raids would sometimes give conquest messages
- fixed bug where under attack messages for space creatures were often not being sent

AREA WEAPONS
- improved willingness of area weapons to fire even when other nearby ships may suffer some minor collateral damage
- added area weapon components to design templates for spaceports and defensive bases of all appropriate races

GAME BALANCE AND AI
- added an option in game setup to turn off Tech Trading between empires (Victory Conditions step)
- homeworld colonies now have more defending/garrisoned troops, especially on higher difficulty levels
- AI ship building process now uses excess funds to overbuild on military ships, especially on higher difficulty levels
- optimized AI planetary facility building choices so that builds less (e.g. Academies), thus saving maintenance costs
- disaster events no longer occur near start of game (i.e. never within first 4 years)
- reduced fuel production speed of Energy to Fuel Convertor component. Also ensured that it does not completely fill cargo space with fuel

PIRATES
- pirates now have concept of empire corruption (income losses dues to fraud and pilfering). This reduces the amount of ships they build in the late-game. Pirate empire corruption can be viewed in the Empire Summary screen under the pirate home base. Pirate empire corruption applies to the following types of pirate income: colony control, colony taxes, raiding, looting, resorts and smuggling. Other types of income are not affected by corruption (Protection Arrangements and Selling Info for a price)
- pirate factions now more careful about building new ships - will no longer generate excessive build queues at construction yards
- increased the strength of Legendary Pirates so that they are stronger than a typical pirate faction

DISPLAY AND USER INTERFACE
- improved visibility of ship and base symbols when zoomed out to system level
- clicking buttons in Fleets screen no longer turns off automation of selected fleet (Repair and Refuel, Retrofit, Load Troops)
- disabled Retrofit action button and popup menu options when a ship is already sent for retrofit (avoid multiple retrofit assignments with associated costs)
- removed duplicate display of Koloros Medical Academy in bonuses panel of Empire Summary screen
- added sector to description of tradeable bases in Diplomacy trade screen

COLONY INVASIONS AND RAIDS
- when special forces troops are attacking a pirate base at a colony, will now only destroy pirate facilities, not normal empire facilities
- when pirate raiders withdraw from raiding a colony, they now never obtain any loot if they do not have any nearby ships

OTHER
- improved boarding and capture with large groups of ships while still allowing ships to fire at nearby enemies (i.e. better coordination with other ships of same empire so that do not fire at ships being boarded)
- extended rule in design editor to disallow multiple gravity beam weapons on freighters (maximum of one)

V1.9.0.9 – August 2nd, 2013

• Beta Update

CRASH FIXES
- fixed rare crash when generating new troops
- fixed rare crash related to pirate missions
- fixed various other crashes

BUG FIXES
- fixed problem where tech breakthroughs were not being applied for ruin encounters, abandoned ships and some other situations
- fixed mining ships to handle situation when do not have luxury resource extractor components but are mining a planet/moon with luxury resources (i.e. will no longer stall at planet)
- fixed bug where research locations were not showing in Empire Navigation Tool when your empire had no buildable research station designs
- now ensure that Retrofit Stance setting is properly applied to new ships and bases from their design (Default Retrofit Stance)
- fixed problem where ships captured by an enemy were sometimes not being attacked

MILITARY SHIPS, FLEETS AND COMBAT
- groups of military ships (e.g. fleets) are now much better at balancing targetting of multiple enemy threats so that they do not all attack a single enemy. However they will still gang up on an enemy when no other targets are nearby
- military ships are now much better at firing at nearby enemies even when pursuing other targets
- unautomated fleets will now always properly honor manual commands and thus will no longer auto-respond to intercept incoming enemy fleets and planet destroyers
- reduced the frequency that idle auto-controlled fleets refuel when in the same system as refuelling points
- idle fleets will now always return to home base, regardless of whether the home base is nearby or not

AREA WEAPONS
- epicenter of area weapons is no longer centered on firer. Instead area weapons now fire at target and the damage shockwave expands from the target (similar to area gravity weapons)

GAME BALANCE
- reduced bonuses from most wonders, especially for wonders focused on colony income and empire research

DESIGNS
- changed behavior of "Manually Upgrade Design" button in Designs screen so that previous design not obsoleted unless new design saved
- if your empire cannot build a design, the reason is now explained in the hover tooltip of the construction Action buttons (when Spaceport selected), e.g. design too big, missing tech

OTHER
- added pirate strength option in Game setup. Decreasing pirate strength makes for an easier game, with pirates closer to the weaker, old-style Legends pirates
- Ancient Guardians no longer automatically declare war on empires building victory wonders

Cheers,
Gerry

Those who came before pave the path of tomorrow.
Veloxi

RE: Distant Worlds Shadows Updated to 1.9.0.10

Post by Veloxi »

Sexy as always, Gerry.
Kobracan

Post by Kobracan »

Very nice. Though "Check for Updates" says you have the latest version. I had installed 1.9.0.9.
yomez

Post by yomez »

AI ship building process now uses excess funds to overbuild on military ships, especially on higher difficulty levels

Love that ! thanks[:D]
vince0018

Post by vince0018 »

GAME BALANCE AND AI
- added an option in game setup to turn off Tech Trading between empires (Victory Conditions step)

I've wanted this for a very long time, thanks so much!
VorteeX

Post by VorteeX »

+1001 [:D]
scotten_usa

Post by scotten_usa »

ORIGINAL: Kobracan

Very nice. Though "Check for Updates" says you have the latest version. I had installed 1.9.0.9.
Same here, although I am using 1.9.0.8. I suppose maybe the new version will show up later?
Gerry Edwards

Post by Gerry Edwards »

Hello Everyone,

There appears to be an issue server side that we are fixing. Ill let you all know as soon as the updater is repaired. In the meantime you can use the direct download link since i know i wouldn't be able to live without my DW Update ;)

Cheers,
Gerry
Gerry Edwards

Post by Gerry Edwards »

Hello Everyone,

The updater should be working now, Please let me know if it stops again.

Cheers,
Gerry
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Thank you for what looks like a great update in many respects!
Ardryn

Post by Ardryn »

ORIGINAL: Gerry Edwards

COLONY INVASIONS AND RAIDS
- when pirate raiders withdraw from raiding a colony, they now never obtain any loot if they do not have any nearby ships

Cheers,
Gerry

Hooray!
Starke

Post by Starke »

A+ patch notes, thanks for your hard work!
The Distant Worlds sale made my purchase possible. Thank you!
Valinor

Post by Valinor »

Updater still doesn't work for me!
I have installed 1.9.0.8.
Lucian

Post by Lucian »

Wow, massive patch! Thanks for all the hard work guys, its much appreciated.
Gerry Edwards

Post by Gerry Edwards »

valinor, is it still not working for you?
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Same for me. When I went to update from 1.9.0.8 it updated the updater. After that it said I had the latest version but I was still at 1.9.0.8. Patching manually worked fine.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

ORIGINAL: Gerry Edwards
GAME BALANCE AND AI
- homeworld colonies now have more defending/garrisoned troops, especially on higher difficulty levels
After requesting this change in my AAR so far it doesn't really appear any different in 1.9.0.10. Was there only a marginal change in troops perhaps?

As soon I have enough troops (~800k) I'll take some troop transports straight to the nearest homeworld and invade before they can shoot them down. Since they have only 1 planet at this point the benefit is massive : all of their ships and bases as well as a cash cow to fund faster expansion.

It shouldn't be practical to invade another homeworld in the early game. A marginal change will just slow this down a little so I proposed 3-5 times more on Extreme.

Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

After requesting this change in my AAR so far it doesn't really appear any different in 1.9.0.10. Was there only a marginal change in troops perhaps?

Marginal? My homeworld I think has become a military party palace [:D]
I have 15 as the base number for troops at a colony and starting a new game on .10 my homeworld has now got more than 70 troops after a few years, just getting around to troop transports so will see if it helps in keeping them filled.

Darkspire LLAP
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

The request was to strengthen troops on homeworlds of other empires in the early game particularly. I have troop recruitment on manual for my empire.

On a new game with the same settings as my AAR (so Shadows Prewarp Extreme Difficulty Expensive Research) the first homeworld conquered (2108) had about 250k troop strength and the 2nd homeworld conquered (2110) had about 450k troop strength. This is in the same range as previous releases.

I just saw that one of the homeworlds to follow looks far tougher. Gizurean who as you would expect are up to 23B population, looks like they have more than 1000k troop strength, enough for me to leave them alone until later in the game. This is great; however, there are other homeworlds that are still ripe for the taking.
dostillevi

Post by dostillevi »

Icemania, in theory this makes you a great big warmonger, and you should be taking huge diplo hits for unprovoked attacks. I would much prefer balancing of this sort rather than making such behavior impossible. Build the consequences into the game so you don't necessarily want to conquer those worlds, even though you could. There are reasons the US doesn't invade countries left and right, even though we have the military power to do so.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”