Time to play for "Real"

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Cmiller

Time to play for "Real"

Post by Cmiller »

Hi,

So I've played around 3 practice games on perhaps the easiest settings possibly (excellent home system, Easy difficulty, Galaxy "starting," ect...), and also read possible every strategy guide in this forum. Even watched a few Youtube series of the game (which helped immensely my understanding of this game). So now after studying the game, and experiencing it, I am officially armed with knowledge and lore. I should be ready to play a "Real" game with a bit more challenge and interest. Before I do, perhaps some of you more veteran players can share some pointers on setting up my first game.

I'd like it to be a bit of a challenge, though not insanely challenging like Harsh Homeworld high corruption, or tons of pirates with constant re-spawn and advanced empires...no that is too challenging for a newcomer such as myself. Something adequate, like Normal amount of pirates, and agreeable homeworld, but add the twist where the galaxy is a little bit ahead in techs.

As far as playstyle goes, I'll still be playing "Classic Age as Empire," have not read too much on Pirate gameplay yet. To clarify how I'd like my game experience:

I want to be a diplomatic empire, using cunning moves to raise myself to the top of the economic scale. However, if I see an empire as being a threat to my economic victory, then I will exterminate it completely, even if it were to destroy my reputation in the galaxy. I also would focus on spying aspect of the game. I feel the game went into great depth in its "intelligence" part. Definitely worth experimenting more on.

So in short terms: I want to be a diplomatic empire, but one is also not afraid to be a PITA for those around him (mainly through spying an manipulation). And a guy who'll crush anyone who tries to size me up.

So for pointers, as of now I just want some recommendations on how I should set the game settings. Settings that will be of benefit for my gameplay style. Feel free to give any advice you feel necessary. Important pointers I'd like: (these are relevant to my play style mentioned above)

Which race matches the above style?
What's the consequences of having lots of empires in-game, vs very few?
Should I add lots of pirates?
Should there be few independent alien races, or many?
Should i set colonization range limitations?
Should I have the galaxy expansion at "Young" or "Expanding"
What kind of government should I start off with?

Okay, now before I conclude this post, these will be my decided victory conditions:
50% Territory
50% Growth/Population
90% Economical
Race-Specific Conditions enabled
No storyline events

Let me know if I should modify any of those, I don't want to make this game "too" hard for myself.

~Cmiller
Plant

RE: Time to play for "Real"

Post by Plant »

Choose the race with the diplomatic or economic advantages would be my guess. Open up the galactopedia and see. Perhaps diplomatic suits you better than economic. So Human for more ambassadors and spies, Keterov for more spies, and Securans for more ambadassars and their sheer economic advantage through reproduction rate.
Sounds like you would enjoy having more empires, as more empires to manipulate.
Sounds like you would hate the idea of pirates in general, but you should just leave everything on normal really.
No, you shouldn't.
Your preference.
Anything but Corporate Nationalism. Democracy or special Government would be best as it sounds like you want an economic advantage.

In the end everything is your preferences, we can't read your mind, but I recommend that you leave everything as normal for a first game. Which is the rather obvious option. Maybe play Spiral or Irregular galaxy depending on whether you like a milkyway-style galaxy or a more fair galaxy.
Cmiller

Post by Cmiller »

Thanks Plant for the pointers. I followed them to the best of my preferences. Here is how I set the game up:

6X6 Sector, 400 stars (50% influence range)
"Young" Irregular Galaxy with Normal aggression levels
Difficulty set to Normal
No space monsters, they are more a nuisance than beneficial
Normal research speed
Normal amount of Pirates

No colinization range limits.
"Rare" amounts of Independent alien life. I feel as though it makes the game easier when there is lots of alien life, since you pick up these planets much, much faster than the AI do.
Normal abundance of colonization planets

I chose Keterov as my race, so I have lots of spies. Didn't want the Securans due to the fact I have to "start the least wars" in galaxy as a race-specific victory condition. And Humans I had played the last 3 practice games. So there will be lots of spying in this game

Set Government to Democracy, and left all the empire settings to default, except for Corruption which is Low. I have the game auto-generate 12 different empires, so this will be an interesting game I'm sure.

Okay, so I fired up the game, and only took a look around at my starting position. Going to play tomorrow when I have more time. I will say I am quite satisfied with my starting home system (the setting was "Normal" bear in mind). I already have 1 or 2 avaiable in sources in Dilithim Crystal, Polymer, Silicon, Steel (at least 5 80%+ sources of this), Lead (also a ton of this), Iridium, and gold. And am covered in the Gases Just in my home system alone. Also have 6 different luxury sources, 3 of which are on my home colony itself! (Falajian Spice, Ekarus Meat, and Megallas Nut) Now, though my home colony has good resources (6 total), I am concern on the %s. Perhaps someone could comment on this:

37% Ekarus Meat
18% Carbon Fibre
22% Polymer (there is actually a better source of this on an Ocean plant that exist in my home system)
78% Meggalus Nut
33% Falajian Spice
13% Chromium

IMHO, these %s are very bad. Also am still missing many other resources, and could find more sources in the resources I already have. I haven't done any exploring yet, so hopefully I find more resources in my travels. But I feel this is a decent start considering my exploration ships haven't even left the home system.

What do you guys think? You think this will be an interesting first "real" game for me[:)]? I sure do. I'll keep you updated on how is turns out, and ask questions along the way. Reading these forums has really improved my understanding of the game, and helped so much. Thanks!

~Cmiller
Plant

Post by Plant »

lol, you keep saying "real".
Your homeworld seems nice. Don't worry about the percentages. You got enough to just let the game auto and get resources for you. Otherwise the AI would die everytime.
I recommend leaving independent planets on normal otherwise the Pirates will do poorly as they rely on Independent planets a lot. I recommend putting corruption on Normal as it is your first game, and to prevent easier money gains from just conquering homeworlds or expanding far away.

Other than that, there's nothing to think about.

Return to “The War Room”