"Germany at War" Review

Germany At War: Operation Barbarossa 1941 is an elegant turn-based design, inspired by classics such as Panzer General, but with more of a historical focus. You command the German forces through a branching historical campaign covering the entire 1941 campaign as well as part of the 1942 campaign. Dozens of scenarios stretch from the Soviet border all the way to Archangel and towards Astrakhan, the original military goals of Operation Barbarossa. Step into a wargame where your performance will rewrite history, through an addictive combination of compelling gameplay, realistic events and challenging battles.

Moderator: Ronald Wendt

Vasquez

"Germany at War" Review

Post by Vasquez »

heyhellowhatsnew

RE: "Germany at War" Review

Post by heyhellowhatsnew »

Why are people so hard on this game :/
OldBlackNerd.com Grognard Gaming, Gaming videos and Current Events
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Thank you for the review! I'm sorry the graphics and sound did not pass muster with you, but I think it's a very good review overall. 10/10 for Atmosphere/Gameplay, 8/10 for Content/Game Size and 9/10 for Artificial Intelligence are great scores for us. Hopefully wargamers will look at those primarily and we'll have a chance in a sequel to improve the graphics and sound and polish the game further.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
heyhellowhatsnew

Post by heyhellowhatsnew »

I really like this game, Erik. This is from a fan who buys all Matrix games as you can probably see from my profile, lol. I just wish it got more love.
OldBlackNerd.com Grognard Gaming, Gaming videos and Current Events
Vasquez

Post by Vasquez »

ORIGINAL: heyhellowhatsnew

Why are people so hard on this game :/

Dont think I was "hard" on this game. 77% is a very good rating. Of course the overall rating suffered a bit from the average graphics- and sound rating but well... The most important parts for a strategygame/wargame (gameplay, atmosphere etc) are on the top.
IronFist00

Post by IronFist00 »

I'm really enjoying Germany at War too. Erik's numerous write-ups explaining the game pushed me over from wanting to buy it, to actually purchasing it.

I prefer tactical and operational level games on the light side of wargaming so we're talking Conflict of Heroes, Panzer Korps, Battle Academy, etc. That being said, I really want games I can play from the German side, especially in campaigns. It's the main reason I dropped off playing Battle Academy; not enough content from the German p.o.v. So when I saw Germany at War (the name says it all) and saw it had campaigns from the Deutsche perspective combined with Erik's posts, sold!

I haven't stopped playing it since.

I look forward to what's in store for the franchise.
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hello,

i read the review and while one does not agree with everthing i felt it was a balanced, well written report.

You really looked into the game and one can see you played it with thought and for quite a while.

We will also take into account several points you mentioned, some in fact were already on our list.

So thanks for the review.

@all others: thanks for the sympathy, it really motivates us even more to make the game better!

Regards,

Return to “Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941”