"Could not load required image"

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

drmario89

"Could not load required image"

Post by drmario89 »

Earlier today the game loaded fine, but when I tried to play it a few moments ago, I was greeted with this while waiting for the game to start:

Could not load required image: C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\images\effects\planetdestroyer\ExplPlanet040116.png You may need to reinstall distant worlds to resolve this problem.

I wanted to check here on the forums before I reinstalled the game to see if there was something else I could do instead. I did check that png file and there didn't seem to be anything wrong with it as far as I could tell. It may also be worth mentioning that I am currently running 1.9.0.9 and had been before this message started to occur. Everything had been working fine until now. I'm hoping someone else knows something about this so that I won't have to reinstall everything.

edit: I was wrong about there being something wrong with the image, as I was looking at the wrong one lol. I'll upload the image here in a sec.
elliotg

RE: "Could not load required image"

Post by elliotg »

Hi drmario89

The precise folder path for those explosion images should actually be:
C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\images\effects\planetdestroy\
and NOT
C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\images\effects\planetdestroyer\
...maybe that was just a typo in your message?

Anyway, assuming the correct path, first check whether the specified file actually exists at that location. So in Windows explorer simply take a look at that folder for that file.

If the file is there, then probably there is some security issue preventing DW from loading the file. If this problem is intermittent then it may be due to anti-virus or anti-malware software interfering with file access. You could try disabling these, or excluding the DW folders from scanning.

Otherwise you could check the file properties - possibly the file is marked as read-only. This should not cause any problems, but worth a try.

Or finally just run DW as administrator to ensure you are not facing any problems with security permissions to access the files and folders (right-click DistantWorlds.exe and click "Run as administrator")

Hope that helps you track down the problem.

Thanks
Elliot
drmario89

Post by drmario89 »

It was a typo, sorry about that. I've uploaded the image (hopefully) to show what's wrong with it.
Attachments
ExplPlanet040116.jpg
ExplPlanet040116.jpg (78.35 KiB) Viewed 210 times
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

That garbage in the bottom-right of the image should not be there. Looks like the file got corrupted somehow.

If the game still will not start then a reinstall might be the best thing to try.

Thanks
Elliot
drmario89

Post by drmario89 »

Yep I'm going to have to reinstall it. Oh well. Thanks for looking into it though.

Return to “Tech Support”