What the ????

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

JDuff

What the ????

Post by JDuff »

Well, I don't often get upset at something but this one got me :)

I had an excellent leader for my race with happiness, population and other bonuses (and two good traits gains in a row) when I suddenly get a message informing that the leader has been ousted for incompetence and is gone and we have decided that your weakest scientist is now your ruler!!

I have all events turned off so where the heck did this pop up from? Can someone enlighten me as to why this event occurred and the rational behind it? It seemed more like 'oooh you are getting a bit ahead there, let nuke your home colony and appoint a scientist with poor abilities as the new leader'.

I dislike random events and having this occur when I have ALL events turned off just killed the game. Especially when I have just fought my way out of a hole, from a bad start and finally got the second level drives and had some range (I was stuck in a 3 planet corner for a long time).

I am playing shadows era, no pirates, pre tech.
Fenrisfil

RE: What the ????

Post by Fenrisfil »

What is your government type?
AMD Phenom II X4 3.2ghz, 16gb ram, 64bit Windows 7, Radeon HD6900.
FerretStyle

Post by FerretStyle »

Technocracy, obviously.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Welcome to the coup detat.

You can manipulate how long a leader will last by modding race file. Setting the random chance to generate new leader to its minimum (0.2) will cause your leaders to last longer.

Otherwise, its just part of the game, leader replacements will happen.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

Doesn't matter, seems to happen to all types.
Technocracy, obviously.

See first answer.

That is one thing in DW that does really grind my gears as well, if you have the events off IMO it should not happen. The only way I found to make them last longer, most of the time the whole game, is to make a character leader up, random generate his \ her traits in the character setup file so as to emulate the random generation.

0, your_leader_name, 1, ,your_race_name, ?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?, ?,0,0

Darkspire
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Doesn't matter, seems to happen to all types.
Technocracy, obviously.

As far as I know right now, everything concerning Characters work the same as in Legends with the
exception of the new additions and how they relate (meaning the Pirate Leader, Pirate Captain and
Ship Captain roles). So according to Elliot, Leader roles work as such:

Governments with elected leaders (Democracy, Mercantile Guild, Republic, Utopian Paradise, Way of the Ancients) have a small chance each year to generate a new leader that replaces the current leader in an election. More advanced leaders have a smaller chance of being replaced. The happiness and income of the faction also affects the chance of a new leader, so a less happy, war-weary populace with negative income is far more likely to lead to a change of government. For Mercantile Guild, income is the most important influence on the probability of a new Leader being elected, for Utopian Paradise, happiness is the main influence.

When an elected government changes leaders, there is a significant temporary boost in happiness and a reduction in the war weariness level (if any) though these will return to their previous levels over time, if everything else remains the same.

Elected governments immediately replace a leader that is lost or retires without any disruption.

Unelected governments that lose a leader gain a replacement immediately, but also suffer a period of disruption. The disruption makes revolting systems and civil war more likely, as if the government type were changing each year, though not quite as severe. As long as the disruption continues, there is also a chance that the leader may change again.

Way of Darkness has the highest chance of minimizing this period of disruption, followed by Monarchy, Technocracy and Corporate Nationalism. Feudalism and Military Dictatorship are more likely to have a longer period of disruption.

Governments that do not have elected leaders (Despotism, Feudalism, Hive Mind, Military Dictatorship, Monarchy, Technocracy, Corporate Nationalism, Way of Darkness) normally get to keep their leader until the leader is removed by events or is otherwise eliminated. However, there is a chance of a change of leader (much smaller than that of elected governments) based on certain factors.

For Despotism, there is always a small chance of a revolt leading to an overthrow of the despot. This revolt can result in a new Despot or a new type of government. Very low happiness, low military power and low espionage can all increase this chance. Despotism has the advantage that new leaders under Despotism start out with extra advancements when compared to other government types, due to the “survival of the fittest”.

For Feudalism, Monarchy and Corporate Nationalism, the more colony governors there are, the greater the chance of a change in Leader, though the chance should still be very small compared to elected governments. If there is a leadership change, a colony governor is removed and becomes the new Leader, with the same name and new skills and traits (which may be influenced by the skills and traits the character had as a governor).

For Hive Mind, the larger the overall population, the longer the period of disruption. The chance of spontaneous government change for Hive Mind is the smallest of all the unelected government types.

For Military Dictatorship, the number of generals and fleet admirals increases the chance of a change in leader. Similar to Feudalism, if there is a change a general or fleet admiral is removed and becomes the new leader.
For Technocracy, similar to Feudalism but with Scientists as the key influence.

Pirates get Pirate Leaders (who will be able to command fleets and ships, as well as Pirate Captains who command ships (and can become Leaders). Also, Pirate Leader characters will transfer to a fleet if their skills are more appropriate for that. All of the above can be manipulated though by modding certain appropriate settings in the race text file as Shark7 and Darkspire mentioned.

Hope this helps! [:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
JDuff

Post by JDuff »

Thanks you all for the replies - it makes a lot more sense now :) It is just I have played dozens of games and never hit this event - maybe I was just inordinately lucky.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”