Bicycle troops!

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Neilster

Bicycle troops!

Post by Neilster »

I was actually doing some serious research on bicycle troops, because I've always liked the idea of them and they have been militarily significant on occasions but I came across this British WW1 recruiting poster and the last line made me laugh.

Cheers, Neilster

Attachments
British_Ar..ster_WWI.jpg
British_Ar..ster_WWI.jpg (80.69 KiB) Viewed 30 times
Cheers, Neilster
wings7

RE: Bicycle troops!

Post by wings7 »

Thanks Joey for sharing that, where did you find it?

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Cheers, Neilster
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

"Bad teeth, no bar"...[:D]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

About the Boer War...

"Extraordinary tasks were sometimes given to cyclists, one of which was to transport carrier pigeons, as it was found that carrying them on horseback upset them, whereas they took more kindly to cycle transportation. Scout Callister of the Cape Cycle Corps achieved great fame by ‘cycling 120 miles, gaining a vantage point, lying perdu (hidden) for several days, and then releasing birds whenever he saw Boer activity.’ Maj B.F.S. Baden-Powell of the 1st Battalion Scots Guards even had a collapsible bicycle which carried a kite. The kite was used at first for taking photographs of the camp by a remotely controlled camera, and later for raising an aerial for experiments in wireless telegraphy between Modder River Station and Belmont.

A special ‘War Cycle’ was built for use on railway lines (below). It was introduced into South Africa by the Royal Australian Cycle Corps and had a detachable rim which was fitted to the pneumatic tyres, enabling it to be used on rails. When the rim was removed the bicycle could be used on normal roads. These cycles were used for reconnaissance, for carrying despatches, checking the railway line for demolition charges, and also for removing the wounded from a skirmish taking pace near a railway."

Cheers, Neilster

Attachments
war_cycle.jpg
war_cycle.jpg (71.16 KiB) Viewed 28 times
Cheers, Neilster
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Pesky river crossings won't slow your troops down if they're mounted on Cyclomers [8D] Those smaller spheres fold down as outriggers for stability and the scoops on the rear wheel provide propulsion.

Cheers, Neilster

Attachments
Amfibiefie.._bicycle.jpg
Amfibiefie.._bicycle.jpg (86.7 KiB) Viewed 28 times
Cheers, Neilster
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Actually, although they haven't completely gone away, this is an idea that may warrant reappraisal. I can think of some advantages...

1. Mountain bike technology has radically improved. Bikes are stronger, lighter and more comfortable. They can also go almost anywhere and on a decent surface can cover ground very quickly.

2. Soldiers are really weighed down with equipment these days. Bikes would make carrying it a lot easier. I'm sure it is possible to design flexible panniers that convert into a rucksack.

3. Bikes are extremely quiet and don't require fuel.

4. All the electronic kit soldiers now carry could be recharged while riding.

5. Folding bikes could be used to minimise the space required when the bikes are being transported.

I can think of some disadvantages though...

1. If your troops are heading into really rugged terrain, they'll have to abandon the bikes or carry them. This was handled by both cavalry and bicycle troops in the past though.

2. Good quality mountain bikes are expensive. All soldiers' equipment is expensive though and perhaps the increase in mobility and stealth is tactically worth it sometimes.

Cheers, Neilster

Attachments
2291771661..e0f043_o.jpg
2291771661..e0f043_o.jpg (47.82 KiB) Viewed 28 times
bsa_museum_23.jpg
bsa_museum_23.jpg (405.15 KiB) Viewed 28 times
Cheers, Neilster
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Interesting, Neilster.  Good finds.

Of course, the last line was to ensure that someone of English background would be qualified to join the bicycle corps. [;)]

Return to “General Discussion”