Criminal network

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

mSterian

Criminal network

Post by mSterian »

I'll post this here as well as no one answered it yet in the other forum:

Soo I used a criminal network to take over a planet. But now that it's mine, could it be a bad idea to scap the criminal network to build it on another planet?
1) Maybe it's just more efficient to build troops and conquer other planets the old fashion way? Is that the design intended.
2) How does corruption work o a planet that is mine? And when I say mine, I mean I own it as a normal empire does. Do I get taxes from it + a corruption bonus from the GDP? Or that corruption actually hurts my income (remember, I AM PIRATE)
3) Could someone share some insight on building a pirate base and fortress after you have a criminal network? Withtout the hope of making your planet yours and recruit troops, you loose that base/fortress all too easily. Either to raids, or to the planet's own troops wanting to destroy my pirate base/facility. So.. it seems to me it's never worth having a facility on a planet that has big troops. Any insights?
Plant

RE: Criminal network

Post by Plant »

1) You can't build troops till you have a colony. Kinda funny that once you do, the troops don't cost any maintenance.
2) No idea, I'll also like to know.
3) Your best bet is to be a race with strong troops, and try to build on planets with native populations with weak troops. Yes, it's a bad idea to build a facility on a planet with many troops. Unfortunately, you cannot affect when a rival empire/pirate decides to invade the planet, except by patrolling the planet yourself.
mSterian

Post by mSterian »

Any better anwers? :P
As for 1) I meant AFTER I get a colony, should I scrap the Criminal Network and build it elsewhere or just use troops?
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

ORIGINAL: mSterian
Any better anwers? :P
As for 1) I meant AFTER I get a colony, should I scrap the Criminal Network and build it elsewhere or just use troops?
The intention is that once you have built the CN you are then are like a fully-fledged empire and would gain further colonies through colonization (build colony ships) and invasion (recruit proper troops).

Haven't tried scrapping and rebuilding the CN, but it may work [:)]

Sounds like a slow and expensive option however (CN costs 200,000 credits to build)

Thanks
Elliot
mSterian

Post by mSterian »

Thanks Elliot.
Plant

Post by Plant »

It's more efficient to just invade, than to build new CN, if it does work. A CN costs 150-300 troops depending on pirate type, enough to conquer a homeworld.

Edit: it costs nothing to recruit only to maintain, but as a pirate you don't pay maitenance on troops. So you can afford as many as you can recruit!

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”