Fantasy Football (Soccer) I mean Free Cookies

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Dixie

Fantasy Football (Soccer) I mean Free Cookies

Post by Dixie »

I've floated the idea for an unofficial Matrix Games fantasy football league in another thread, but in case people aren't reading that one I thought I'd try a more obvious approach and start a new thread.

The idea at the moment is setting up a league for anyone who wants to enter, at the moment the easiest one (for me at least) is http://fantasy.premierleague.com/. I'm not sure if that would be to everyone's taste though, seeing as it's an English one. If there's enough interest then I'll set up a private league and we'll go from there. No prizes, apart from the opportunity to boast about how great (or otherwise) you are! [:D]

OK, the Cookies are not coming from me. But someone, somewhere is giving out free cookies. Before you go to find them you could always sign up for the fantasy football.. [;)]
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
warspite1

RE: Fantasy Football (Soccer)

Post by warspite1 »

As posted in the previous thread, I'm up for it. Please let me know the league details in due course and I will attach my team to it. I'm sure the Ormster will join too.

Thanks for setting up Dixie.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

As posted in the previous thread, I'm up for it. Please let me know the league details in due course and I will attach my team to it. I'm sure the Ormster will join too.

I am honoured that you are sure that I will join. [:)]

But I have been sitting on the fence on this one. I do like the idea of this but I fear it will be to time consuming since I know almost nothing of the current players in the Premier League. [:(]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

But I have been sitting on the fence on this one. I do like the idea of this but I fear it will be to time consuming since I know almost nothing of the current players in the Premier League. [:(]
warspite1

Nor do I - and I know nothing about football - I support Spurs remember....

Orm

Post by Orm »

warspite1

Nor do I - and I know nothing about football - I support Spurs remember....
But then you know all about football. A true fan. [:)]

Edit: The people who suddenly became Manchester City F.C. fans a few years ago are the ones who lack understanding of the true meaning of football.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

The league is set up, all you guys need to do is set up a team and enter the code for the league

950499-238897

For anyone worried about their football/soccer knowledge, don't be. Warspite supports Spurs and I support a team who are currently four divisions below that, and struggling to stay there! If people really want it, I can provide advice based on my experience which I'll try and keep impartial. It's probably going to be terrible due to my lack of knowledge in the Premier League.
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

But then you know all about football. A true fan. [:)]

Edit: The people who suddenly became Manchester City F.C. fans a few years ago are the ones who lack understanding of the true meaning of football.

I remember when my team (Lincoln City) beat Man City in the league. That was way back in the 90s when Lincoln somehow made it to Division 2 (which used to be Division 3 which is now League 1). It's going all fuzzy round the edges now I'm reminiscing. I remember when Darren Huckerby used to play for Lincoln. And Gareth MacAuley who's in the Premier LEague with West Brom now. And Gary Taylor-Fletcher who played for Blackpool in the Premier League. I feel a bit sad now.
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Frido1207

Post by Frido1207 »

Hi Dixie,

I just joined your league.
My team set up is based on my unsurpassed lack of knowledge and my unmatched incompetency. This will hopefully encourage others (Orm, Warspite!) to join the league too. [:D]
Btw. is there a way to see the team set up of other league members?

th
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Joined the Australian Beauties league. [:)]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Yep - just joined too. Nice choice of name for the league too Dixie.

The Australian Beauties league - all we need now is a sponsor [:)]I'll phone Barclays - see if they want to extend their deal with the Premiership.

Putting 15 players in your squad with just £100m is not very easy is it?

Dixie

Post by Dixie »

ORIGINAL: th1207

Hi Dixie,

I just joined your league.
My team set up is based on my unsurpassed lack of knowledge and my unmatched incompetency. This will hopefully encourage others (Orm, Warspite!) to join the league too. [:D]
Btw. is there a way to see the team set up of other league members?

th

At the moment you can't view the other teams, mostly because it's possible to change your players up to the start of the first week of matches. Until then you can switch around as many players as you want to, after that it's one a week (unless you're willing to take a points deduction). There's also a transfer wildcard which lets you change as many players as you want once in the season, I save mine until January unless there's a massive injury crisis in my team.

Because I'm a sporting chap I'll put my current team list up, it's possibly going to be changed in a few places though.

Goalkeepers
Foster, 5m, West Brom
Vorm, 5m, Swansea

Defenders
Mertesacker, 5.5m, Arsenal
McAuley, 5m, West Brom
Garrido, 5m, Norwich
Walker, 6m, Tottenham
Baines, 7.5m, Everton

Midfielders
Routledge, 5.5m, Swansea
Fellaini, 8.5m, Everton
Santi Cazorla, 10m, Arsenal
Schnederlin, 5.5m, Southampton
Yaya Toure, 8.5m, Manchester City

Strikers
Giroud, 8.5m, Arsenal
Berbatov, 7.5m, Fulham
van Wolfswinkel, 7m, Norwich

Don't spend too much on defensive players, very few pick up lots of points.
Try to avoid multiple players from the same team in defence, if they have a bad game you've lost points.
Teams like Swansea can be a source of good attacking players, the same potentially applies to Southampton. They probably won't score lots of points but they'll be consistent and they're usually cheap.
van Wolfswinkel has a great name!

Baines, Fellaini and Yaya Toure might still be changed, I'm not convinced about Everton's new manager.
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

The Australian Beauties league - all we need now is a sponsor [:)]I'll phone Barclays - see if they want to extend their deal with the Premiership.

£6.5m for each one potentially, put there's room to tweak things. At least you shouldn't do too badly, the game only lets you take three players from Spurs! [;)]
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

My team:

Probably I have spent too much money on the defence. But I have always believed that your team start in a good defence.
The middlefield is too much blueish. Can we sell and buy players in the middle of the season?
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

My team:

Probably I have spent too much money on the defence. But I have always believed that your team start in a good defence.
The middlefield is too much blueish. Can we sell and buy players in the middle of the season?

Yes, once the season starts in a couple of weeks you can transfer 1 player a week for free. Above that it's (iirc) a 2 point penalty for each transfer. There's also the transfer wildcard which allows you to make as many transfers as you like, but only once.

It looks like a decent enough team there. I'm not sure how much match time Begovic will get though. He's a good player but Liverpool have also signed Mignolet recently so it's potentially risky taking either of those two.

I've already switched some of my players around [:D] I'm still likely to move some more, possibly Baines and Reither/MacAuley out in return for Zabaleta and Ivanovic. I drop to three defenders and use an extra midfield or striker position instead and keep two defenders on the bench.

P.S. More players are welcome! Don't be shy [:)]
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (175.51 KiB) Viewed 700 times
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Well, I'll start with this team, and will check if Begovic will be the regular GK or not.
Why Liverpool needs two great GK?
Good luck with van Wolfwinkel... in his previous team, Sporting CP, he missed more that he would actually score. [:'(]
Frido1207

Post by Frido1207 »

My Team:

Attachments
team.jpg
team.jpg (73.71 KiB) Viewed 700 times
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Dixie

£6.5m for each one potentially, put there's room to tweak things. At least you shouldn't do too badly, the game only lets you take three players from Spurs! [;)]
warspite1

I make it a policy to not pick Spurs players. I occasionally relent and end up paying for it, like last year when I put Caulker in .....and first game he played for me Spurs let in 4 [8|]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

What team strips has everyone chosen?

VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Frido1207