movement too fluid

Germany At War: Operation Barbarossa 1941 is an elegant turn-based design, inspired by classics such as Panzer General, but with more of a historical focus. You command the German forces through a branching historical campaign covering the entire 1941 campaign as well as part of the 1942 campaign. Dozens of scenarios stretch from the Soviet border all the way to Archangel and towards Astrakhan, the original military goals of Operation Barbarossa. Step into a wargame where your performance will rewrite history, through an addictive combination of compelling gameplay, realistic events and challenging battles.

Moderator: Ronald Wendt

gwgardner

movement too fluid

Post by gwgardner »

In the three scenarios I've played so far, I agree with Numdydar that play is too fluid. One gets no sense of massive numbers of men and equipment being moved about, no sense of their ZOC. On one day I might move a division to the east, totally bypassing fixed defenses, the next turn I might have to move that same division all the way back because an AI division did the same in the other direction, bypassing my units.

To make matters even worse, I never have had to rebase an air unit - they stay aloft 24 hours a day, flitting at will across the map.

Gargoyl

RE: movement too fluid

Post by Gargoyl »

I think aside from having too few units to really establish any kind of front, the problem resides in the lack of a sensible supply system. It appears units can resupply no matter how far away, no matter whether surrounded or not. With so few units involved, simply relying on ZOC and taking enemy cities to restrict resupply isn't enough and isn't very realistic. I realize it's a game and not a simulation, but the way supply and refitting is handled is too gamey and eliminates an entire element of strategy essential to the idea of blitzkrieg--cutting units off supply centers and interdicting supply routes. In this game, there are no supply routes--it's just an abstraction. As for aircraft, they essentially function as ground units that can move over other units. I truly hope these issues are addressed.

Return to “Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941”