Scale ? Less is More

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

Wolfe1759

Scale ? Less is More

Post by Wolfe1759 »

Is SC3 going to be the scale (size of map, number of units)of Storm Over Europe or the original SC2/WaW/SOE Fast Play.

Personally I much prefer the scale of the latter but I know I might be in the minority.

If it is the scale of the former ais there any chance of a Fast Play scale campaign as well ?
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
SeaMonkey

RE: Scale ? Less is More

Post by SeaMonkey »

What's the matter with a Global scale and then separate theaters? One could play the present global war or choose to play Europe, Pacific, maybe a Med scenario and then there are the fast play campaigns, like East front, DDay, Bulge, etc.
DSWargamer

Post by DSWargamer »

The hell of scale, is you must make Russia dauntingly hard to invade and occupy, and you must preserve the ability to make vital geographical locations genuinely valid like Gibraltar Malta and Iceland. You need to be able wage a desperate marine assault on a piece of real estate barely worth mention and be able to possess two wretched pieces of land in one hex and for them to actually be different locations able to be held by opponents like as was the case in the South Pacific.

How big the map is, is not my problem, and the last thing I want to be told, is we couldn't have such and such vital piece of terrain, because the map was too small. If the map needs 1000 hexes across to be done right, then I am not willing to indulge a 750 hex wide map.

The key detail in SC3 will be, 'why do I need this game, when I have this other game already and it does the same over all simulation?'. The market has a selection of games out there, they all have their own stumbling blocks the trick will be to make a game that finally gets rid of the stumbling blocks, and be worth the purchase. No one needs yet another not quite there game.
I have too many too complicated wargames, and not enough sufficiently interested non wargamer friends.
mathiaswargamefan

Post by mathiaswargamefan »

i buy sc3 only then, when it have a global map. i'll hope with ALL countries and colonies!
SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

Agreed DSW, it's almost like we need a different map scale to depict the Pacific or any of those notorious island bastions. Perhaps we move our naval forces around in an array of seazones and then when the actual conflict develops we move to a zoomed in smaller operational map for the combat maneuvers? Could you not make it an option for the players to resolve the zonal battle with a quick computer outcome with the comparison of forces or they can choose to fight it out in the time frame of turns within a turn, ie operational turns inside one strategic turn?
mathiaswargamefan

or the countries and colonies have provinces, occupation of province by province, but a global map must have sc3...or additional smaller maps for small map fans (europe, pacific etc.).
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

I was under the impression that SC3 will be ETO rather than Global as per SC1 and SC2.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
mathiaswargamefan

if it's so, then i'll not buy the game, i hate games only with eto...
Robert24

Post by Robert24 »

ORIGINAL: Wolfe

I was under the impression that SC3 will be ETO rather than Global as per SC1 and SC2.

I think I read that also; just ETO. But, that may be the initial plan and then expand into the PTO and Global.[8|]
-Robert
mathiaswargamefan

have sc3 a global map or not?
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

It is going to be the ETO.
TR

Post by TR »

If they do make global, I hope the they can make the map much bigger than the SC2 global map. Twice the size would be nice, if it's feasible.
SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

This would make sense, as this is the way SC started. We get ETO and work out the glitches and then the expansions come later. It's a timely exercise of success. Been there done that!
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

ORIGINAL: TR

If they do make global, I hope the they can make the map much bigger than the SC2 global map. Twice the size would be nice, if it's feasible.

SC WW2: Assault on Democracy (for SC Global Gold) has "New Global Map with 5X (!!!) more playing tiles (484X200)"

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”