Semi OT: Is there any Japanese gun camera footage from WWII?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

We have all seen Allied gun camera footage from both ETO and PTO and German gun footage but I have never ever seen Japanese gun camera footage...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Jorge_Stanbury

RE: Semi OT: Is there any Japanese gun camera footage from WWII?

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

I only found this staged dogfight from a Japanese war film
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BXo-jWcGnw

It might be that simply they didn't ever carry cameras, Japanese fighters were lacking HP, from the begining of the war, thus all these crippling measures to reduce weight. Putting a camera might not had been wise

US planes 2nd generation planes, on the other hand, had powerful engines, then adding a camera not an issue
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Only as a target.

I have never seen any documentry footage,
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

I hoped that on late war more powerful airplane / engine combinations there would be some experimental gun camera installations on Japanese aircraft...

Leo "Apollo11"

Shellshock

Post by Shellshock »

I haven't seen any footage from a Japanese plane either, but here is a link to an article on the various cameras used in Japanese aircraft during the war. (hand held and fixed)

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Japan ... al_cameras
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Leo,

I'm guessing that there *was* gun camera footage from Japanese planes at some point during the war, but-like many wartime records-it was destroyed in the firebombings or nuclear attacks on the home islands.
mike scholl 1

Post by mike scholl 1 »

ORIGINAL: Shellshock

I haven't seen any footage from a Japanese plane either, but here is a link to an article on the various cameras used in Japanese aircraft during the war. (hand held and fixed)

The production numbers quoted would barely cover recce A/C. I doubt Japanese Fighters ever had gun cameras..., both for the weight reasons quoted earlier, and the fact that having to have a film of your kill would be an insult to the "samurai" pilots.
DHRedge

Post by DHRedge »

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

The production numbers quoted would barely cover recce A/C. I doubt Japanese Fighters ever had gun cameras..., both for the weight reasons quoted earlier, and the fact that having to have a film of your kill would be an insult to the "samurai" pilots.
The insult is actually from those that need to be shown a film to understand. They are the disrespected.

In the movie The Last Castle it talks of those that had items like trophies to understand, verses those that knew from actually having fought the battles.

That is much of it.

The reasoning of your comment would be the comment, if you want to see it, saddle up and fight a battle. Note for training, or remembrance that is a different story. Many collectors of items think somehow having a painting or item has some value, when it actually is the value of memory of the actions told in the artifact, not some guy thinking that having some artifact means something.

When someone thinks they are something by having a collection of items, that is not what the collection is for, it is for remembrance of the valor and honor, many times on both sides, in some conflict.

Does that make sense?

Ever seen someone that buys something like a superbowl ring? You know what they are saying. They can't win the honor of such a trophy, but they believe with money they can equally obtain the same honor by buying such an item. It is the transfer of respect from actions through much of history, to those that can 'buy something' with money. Or that is the intent.

Note again, learning about such actions, and using strategic thoughts in a simulation like this game is a different story.
mike scholl 1

Post by mike scholl 1 »

ORIGINAL: DHRedge

The insult is actually from those that need to be shown a film to understand. They are the disrespected.

In the movie The Last Castle it talks of those that had items like trophies to understand, verses those that knew from actually having fought the battles.

That is much of it.

The reasoning of your comment would be the comment, if you want to see it, saddle up and fight a battle. Note for training, or remembrance that is a different story. Many collectors of items think somehow having a painting or item has some value, when it actually is the value of memory of the actions told in the artifact, not some guy thinking that having some artifact means something.

When someone thinks they are something by having a collection of items, that is not what the collection is for, it is for remembrance of the valor and honor, many times on both sides, in some conflict.

Does that make sense?

Ever seen someone that buys something like a superbowl ring? You know what they are saying. They can't win the honor of such a trophy, but they believe with money they can equally obtain the same honor by buying such an item. It is the transfer of respect from actions through much of history, to those that can 'buy something' with money. Or that is the intent.

Note again, learning about such actions, and using strategic thoughts in a simulation like this game is a different story.

My point was simply that to question the word of a samurai (by requiring photographic proof) would be to question his honesty, and his honor
DHRedge

Post by DHRedge »

My point was simply that to question the word of a samurai (by requiring photographic proof) would be to question his honesty, and his honor

That makes sense, and you define the purpose of the film as seeing what occurred, not as some trophy of some event. And your comment that a pilot would not need proof makes sense also.

What would be the proper reaction, in that ethos, if they demanded proof?
Give them proof, then challenge them for the dishonor?

It is an interesting question,
Does a person destroyed for lack of proper respect towards someone else of good stature, need to know they were wrong?

Would that code have them show them the clip, then present a challenge from dishonoring a person, or would the proof have no part of the discussion?

It seems to me, it is most fair to show them you are truthful in your comments first before addressing the other issue of disrespect.

crsutton

Post by crsutton »

I can't imagine any Japanese plane having a gun camera but am no authority. I expect that they were very short of all types of optical devices and that would have been quite a luxury for them.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I can't imagine any Japanese plane having a gun camera but am no authority. I expect that they were very short of all types of optical devices and that would have been quite a luxury for them.

Well, from the camerapedia link above in post #5 it looks like they made them and would likely haves used the ones they made.

Attachments
targetcameras.jpg
targetcameras.jpg (309.72 KiB) Viewed 505 times
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

Very interesting - great find - thank you! [:)]

So they did have the gun cameras (at least some)... but where are the films...

Leo "Apollo11"

crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: obvert

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Well, from the camerapedia link above in post #5 it looks like they made them and would likely haves used the ones they made.

Yes, but my point is not that they were made but were they made in any numbers to be anything more than a novelty? I doubt that but just don't know. I have never seen Japanese gun camera footage and that suggests that it must have been a very rare item.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

There must be some footage from Pearl Harbor attack, because I have somewhere report, which mentions that they were able to check from them (after war), which Battleships in port had no FPs onboard during attack.
Sredni

Post by Sredni »

There might have been a purge of information (classified info, records, ect) in the end by the japanese leaders when defeat started to look inevitable which might have included any films.

^speculation on my part without any real evidence
MDDgames

Post by MDDgames »

a
sandman455

Post by sandman455 »

I think long ago I read that they had a large archive of gun camera footage, but it was all kept in HQ units, mostly in Japan and got destroyed in the days after 8/15/1945.
Gary S (USN 1320, 1985-1993)
AOCS 1985, VT10 1985-86, VT86 1986, VS41 1986-87
VS32 1987-90 (NSO/NWTO, deployed w/CV-66, CVN-71)
VS27 1990-91 (NATOPS/Safety)
SFWSLANT 1991-93 (AGM-84 All platforms, S-3 A/B systems)
tigercub

Post by tigercub »

like you all I have not seen japanese gun camera footage...i find it amazing that something has not come to life!

tigercub
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”