CLOSED The old world vs the new: Cannonfodder (Allies) vs Quixote (Japan)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

KenchiSulla

CLOSED The old world vs the new: Cannonfodder (Allies) vs Quixote (Japan)

Post by KenchiSulla »

Scenario 2 - beta 1123p
Updated beta 1123q (24-dec-1941)

HOUSERULES AND GAME SETTINGS
REALISM OPTIONS
FOW ON
Advanced weather ON
Allied damage control ON
PDU ON
Historical first turn OFF
Dec 7 surprise ON
Reliable USN torps OFF
Realistic R&D ON
No unit withdrawals OFF
Reinforcements Fixed

GAME OPTIONS
Combat reports ON
Auto sub ops OFF
TF move radius ON
Plane move radius ON
Facilities expand OFF
Auto upgrade ships and airgroups OFF
Air and ground replacements OFF
Turn cycle 1 TURN

1st turn rules:
Allied player only able to command TF already at sea
No transferring or loading of squadrons
Max 30% cap set per squadron
No Japanese invasion TF will finish the turn more than 15 hexes from a starting Japanese base

Game rules:
Max. alt for sweeps/caps best man. band + 1
No 4e naval bombing below 10k
Sensible use of paratroopers
Pay full PP for units to cross national borders
No strategic bombing from or into China
Picket ships allowed if of the military type

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
KenchiSulla

RE: The old world vs the new: Cannonfodder (Allies) vs Quixote (Japan) - Scenario 2 game

Post by KenchiSulla »

After a long break I really started to miss playing this little gem. My time is still a bit limited so I decided to try my luck as the allied in a scenario 2 game.

Quixote contacted me and here we are! Currently turn 1, the mother of all turns, is being worked on. I'll explain my point of view on this scenario and the strategic decisions made for the game start after Quixote had a chance to say hi.

After that this will be a restricted AAR.

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
zuluhour

RE: The old world vs the new: Cannonfodder (Allies) vs Quixote (Japan) - Scenario 2 game

Post by zuluhour »

I knew it would not be long. You face a fellow Marylander[:'(]. I look forward to tagging along, and rooting for the guys in white hats. Best of luck!

Attachments
art3.jpg
art3.jpg (63.98 KiB) Viewed 511 times
chaussej

Post by chaussej »

Good luck and I will be following this one
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

Good Luck
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

ps. you may want to change fan clubs, that signature is mighty misleading.
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

Delete..
“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

Ah yes Zulu, I'll fix that signature tommorow. Gives me something to do while waiting for the turn!

Edit: done with the new sig..
AKA Cannonfodder

Quixote

Post by Quixote »

Just stopping in say hello, and to wish Cannonfodder a good game. I'll be doing an AAR as well, but I don't want to steal too many of Cannonfodders fans - you AFBs need all the support you can get early war.[:'(] I'll keep this short, both so I can get back to work on the marathon that is turn one and to allow you gentlemen to begin scheming about where to defend, what sneaky things I may be up to, and all the other fun that comes with playing the Allies in 1942. At my current pace, we may have an actual game to talk about in another couple of days, but until then have fun planning, and again good luck Cannon!
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

BRAVO!
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

So... how do we handle this war.. We assess the first year situation yet again. Just to make sure we are not missing anything!

Strategic objectives of the Empire of Japan:

- Secure resources to continue fighting the war
- Secure sufficient bases to support the war effort
- Secure a defensive perimeter to protect existing and captured assets
- Damage or destroy allied land, sea and air forces
- Deprive the allies of good staging areas for future offensive operations

Available forces:

- Ground forces
- Air forces
- Naval forces

Strategic objectives of the Allies

- Deprive the EoJ of resources to continue fighting the war
- Deprive the EoJ of sufficient bases to support the war effort
- Deprive the EoJ of a defensive perimeter to protect existing and captured assets
- Damage or destroy japanese land, sea and air forces
- Secure good staging areas for future offensive operations

Available forces:

- Ground forces
- Air forces
- Naval forces

Any action taken by either the enemy (AKA Quixote) or ourselves naturally fits in one of the categories mentioned.. What I will try to do is identify an action by Quixote and will fit it into the grand plan. This should help me identify real efforts and dismiss feints or traps...

That is the plan anyway..

Scenario 2 gives the Japanese some additional toys and resources. Let's take a look at the resources of the enemy for the first year:

Ground forces: A large infantry based army. It cannot be effectively destroyed but it is possible to achieve local superiority by intercepting troop convoys and sinking portions of it. Limited by PP (except in China)..

Air forces: Will be expanded and in the end it will not be possible to outright destroy it (due to plane and pilot plan my esteemed opponent will Undoubtedly have or develop). We can however achieve a number of things: Attrit the original pilots as much as possible and when required achieve local air superiority

Naval forces: For the first year the IJN will be dominant and dominate. HOWEVER this is also the achilles heel of the EoJ. It can be attritted... It can't be expanded.. It is what it is.. It is vulnerable. ATTRITTING THE IJN WILL BE THE MAIN FOCUS AFTER YEAR ONE.

AKA Cannonfodder

adsoul64

Post by adsoul64 »

Good luck to my old opponent a fine gentleman
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

It may be of interest to concentrate on China turn one. Something you can issue orders to and something I forgot to do turn one. [:@]
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

Hi Adsoul, thanks for your support!

Thanks Zulu, thats a good point and something easy to forget indeed!
AKA Cannonfodder

KenchiSulla

STATUS REPORT: CAPTURED BASES

Post by KenchiSulla »

Deleted
AKA Cannonfodder

KenchiSulla

1941-dec-07

Post by KenchiSulla »

7-dec-1941

What if... the Japanese just ignored the US pacific fleet?

Lets find out!

SITREP visualised...

Attachments
1941dec07.jpg
1941dec07.jpg (945.42 KiB) Viewed 519 times
AKA Cannonfodder

catwhoorg

RE: 1941-dec-07

Post by catwhoorg »

I have wanted to follow a Manila/Singers Dec 7th KB strike to see how it develops. Interesting.
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

Remember the identified strategic objectives:

- Secure resources to continue fighting the war
Fleetcarriers and what seems to be an amphib tf in position to control/take Palembang within a few turns
- Secure sufficient bases to support the war effort
Landed 30.000 troops at Mersing, in a position to cut of 9th/11th Indian division from Singapore
- Damage or destroy allied land, sea and air forces
Sinking and damaging the US submarine fleet at Manila
Sinking PoW and Repulse
Sinking and damaging several smaller warships in Singapore/Manila

Destroying/damaging air assets at Manila and Singapore

Thinking long and hard on my options at the moment. The entire pacific fleet is intact. With the KB split up and active in the Java and Philippine seas I have freedom of movement in the Pacific, at least for a while.

I have spotted a Japanese TF near Rabaul so I expect that base to fall soon. Quixote does not seem to be the player that will allow me to intervene there but I don't think he'll have the power to stop me from reinforcing the area south and east of Rabaul.

On the other hand, with the DEI / Malaya area so quickly and effectively compromised there is a sense of urgency to reinforce Australia / India.

AKA Cannonfodder

JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

This will be very interesting to watch! Having the KB in the area will speed things up considerably for him. I would strongly recommend against trying anything with LBA against the KB. Playing with the BETA means he will be invulnerable from LBA and you will only be wasting planes. He can basically just use it as a strike sponge to clear the way for whatever invasion he has planned. Try and save the meagre supply of strike planes and use them wherever the KB is not!

Good luck! [:)]
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

Post by AU Tiger_MatrixForum »

When I started my game with Skyros I was wondering if he would do something like this, but he went the more conventional route. This will be fun to watch!
"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson

Return to “After Action Reports”