RES, FUEL and OIL movement from Singapore by land

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Sieppo

RES, FUEL and OIL movement from Singapore by land

Post by Sieppo »

Has anybody REALLY noticed it EVER [:D]? I mean shouldn't it be shown in the bases north of Singapore? I've monitoring it for a couple of months now and at least no movement of RES or OIL. Fuel I cannot be certain of, since coastal bases always show some..

Demand should be huge in China, Korea etc..
> What is the hardest thing in the universe?
> A diamond?
> No. 500 machine gun men on a mountain.
Bo Rearguard

RE: RES, FUEL and OIL movement from Singapore by land

Post by Bo Rearguard »

ORIGINAL: Sieppo

Demand should be huge in China, Korea etc..

There's more than enough oil in Manchuria to cover the demands of China and Korea.

Likely, the reason all those bases north of Singapore are short of said resources is that Singapore itself being a hub of industry is pulling them in.
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

I've tried to create "pull" by moving that oil and res in China and Manchuria from Fusan to the main islands, but it seems not to help.. Like you said, Singapore seems to be too big for it's place to allow anything to move anywhere [:(].
> A diamond?
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

I have seen no increases at the in between bases, but once I opened the "land route," I sure saw stuff start piling up at Hong Kong. It was like turning on a light switch, instantaneous.
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

I have seen no increases at the in between bases, but once I opened the "land route," I sure saw stuff start piling up at Hong Kong. It was like turning on a light switch, instantaneous.

Interesting.. Maybe it was from China since it is a big port with HI etc?
> A diamond?
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

Did you ever see in piling up at Fusan after expanding that base`s Port and AF`s max ? Several guys suggest that works...

“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

ORIGINAL: Richard III

Did you ever see in piling up at Fusan after expanding that base`s Port and AF`s max ? Several guys suggest that works...

Fusan is maxed up and LOADS of stuff keeps coming, it really works like a charm. I have several TF's moving stuff from there and Keijo per day. I'm now also moving stuff from Singapore and Cam to Hong Kong, I guess the pull works at least that far (lots of bases that need res, fuel and oil in China and Manchukuo etc and maybe even gets the produce moving all the way to Fusan) and saves some moves.

Urumchi just started spoiling its fuel, I guess everything is stuck there also..
> A diamond?
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

A few responses to the questions aimed at me. First, too much oil and fuel pile up in HK to be coming from China. Second, I haven't had much success with a maxed out Fusan, BUT, I believe that's because I upped HK to level 9. Thus, it's bigger than level 8 Fusan. In future games, I wouldn't build up HK's port as a result.
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

A few responses to the questions aimed at me. First, too much oil and fuel pile up in HK to be coming from China. Second, I haven't had much success with a maxed out Fusan, BUT, I believe that's because I upped HK to level 9. Thus, it's bigger than level 8 Fusan. In future games, I wouldn't build up HK's port as a result.

Mine is also 9 but not the same results as far as I know. But maybe its just Northern China and Manchuria and Korea gathering in Fusan :/. Still it's loads of fuel and oil also. But if HK port 9 will take something from Singapore, it's ok by me :)..
> A diamond?
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

The reason why you still have stuff pooling in Singapore is because you are sourcing convoys from there. Stop doing that, and it will stop flowing there (from Malaya and so forth). If your only convoys are coming from Hong Kong, Fusan, etc., then the resources will flow out of Singapore.

I tested this in my AI game. I had 1.3 million Resources in Singapore. I had a bunch of extra xAKs in the port there, so started hauling Resources back to Japan. I set up CS convoys with home port there. The Resource level never dropped below 1.1 million.

Then I stopped using those Resource CS convoys. In short order (less than a week?), Resource levels at Singapore were under 100,000. I am fairly certain they all flowed up the peninsula and I imagine to the places I had CS convoys set up to haul to the Home Islands: Hong Kong, Hankow (where I had a Supply CS set up for my China campaign, made sense to save on fuel by hauling Resources back), and Fusan. I don't know how much went where (or if it "made stops" along the way) because I wasn't tracking Resource levels at other bases.

Because of this experiment/experience, the "latent" draw from having a large port and industry seems to make the base keep a level of Resources/Oil/Fuel to match some multiple of its requirements each turn, while the "TF demand" draw from basing a CS convoy there seems to be much higher. Almost like forcing importation and stockpiling...which is exactly what you want to happen at Hong Kong, Shanghai, Fusan, wherever.

Older veterans, please chime in...I believe I'm on the right track...
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

Thanks for the hint! I'll think I try that. I believe you could be right. I think Fusan has no industry and still keeps getting loads of everything because I keep fleeting it out. Same with Keijo with Port Arthur just next to it and staying empty.
> A diamond?
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

The reason why you still have stuff pooling in Singapore is because you are sourcing convoys from there. Stop doing that, and it will stop flowing there (from Malaya and so forth). If your only convoys are coming from Hong Kong, Fusan, etc., then the resources will flow out of Singapore.

I tested this in my AI game. I had 1.3 million Resources in Singapore. I had a bunch of extra xAKs in the port there, so started hauling Resources back to Japan. I set up CS convoys with home port there. The Resource level never dropped below 1.1 million.

Then I stopped using those Resource CS convoys. In short order (less than a week?), Resource levels at Singapore were under 100,000. I am fairly certain they all flowed up the peninsula and I imagine to the places I had CS convoys set up to haul to the Home Islands: Hong Kong, Hankow (where I had a Supply CS set up for my China campaign, made sense to save on fuel by hauling Resources back), and Fusan. I don't know how much went where (or if it "made stops" along the way) because I wasn't tracking Resource levels at other bases.

Because of this experiment/experience, the "latent" draw from having a large port and industry seems to make the base keep a level of Resources/Oil/Fuel to match some multiple of its requirements each turn, while the "TF demand" draw from basing a CS convoy there seems to be much higher. Almost like forcing importation and stockpiling...which is exactly what you want to happen at Hong Kong, Shanghai, Fusan, wherever.

Older veterans, please chime in...I believe I'm on the right track...

Actually I have to correct myself. I had stopped convoys FROM Singapore for a while because RES ran out. Now just before saying I'm doing it I had sent the convoys back in so nothing is moved out yet. Below is a picture of the situation in Sing. Do you think I still have to wait?

EDIT: I HAVE been taking fuel out but it shouldn't effect RES?
Attachments
jesh.jpg
jesh.jpg (5.03 KiB) Viewed 71 times
> A diamond?
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

That's a lot of resources there. Are you sure you don't have any convoys at all set up to load resources in Singapore? And that the Magical Coast Road is still open, and to a port that is shipping out resources (and in sufficient quantity)?

It's such a tricky thing to do, and the true process for demand for resources at a location is so murky, that even with my experiences across a half dozen campaign games I'm not entirely comfortable answering the Hows/Whys on this topic. I just know that right now, I have it working so that Resources don't pool in Singers, and how my convoys are set up.
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

Absolutely no CS or other convoys taking out RES from Sing in months :(.. I have everything under control between Russia and India. I moved now all the intended convoys going to Sing to Cam (Cam->Hong). I'll try to create the pull from there and increase the RES in Singapore to a million, until it maybe moves.

EDIT: thanks for the comments anyway :).
> A diamond?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”