"The Fighting Lady"

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

AU Tiger_MatrixForum

"The Fighting Lady"

Post by AU Tiger_MatrixForum »

If you haven't seen this, you need to:

"The Fighting Lady"

The plot of the film revolves around the life of seamen on board an anonymous aircraft carrier. Because of war time restrictions, the name of the aircraft carrier was disguised as "the Fighting Lady"; afterwards the ship's true name became public – she was the USS Yorktown (CV-10). A few shots of aircraft landing were filmed aboard USS Ticonderoga (CV 14).
Frequently mentioned is the adage that war is 99% waiting. The first half or so of the film is taken up with examining the mundane details of life on board the aircraft carrier as she sails through the Panama Canal and into the Pacific Ocean, finally seeing action at Marcus Island (attacked in 1943). The film provides aerial views of a series of airstrikes at Japanese bases in the Pacific theatre.
Following an attack on Kwajalein in early 1944, intelligence reports that an armada of Japanese ships is massing near Truk, a major Japanese logistical base in the Carolines. The Fighting Lady and some of her task force are sent on a "hit and run" mission to neutralize it and return to Marcus, but not to attempt a landing.
Once the ship returns from the massive, two-day Truk raid, it is then sent to the waters off the Marianas and participates in the famous "Marianas Turkey Shoot".
At the very end some of the servicemen who appeared in the film are reintroduced to us, and the narrator informs us that they have died in battle.

The film uses of Technicolor footage shot by "gun cameras" mounted directly on aircraft guns during combat. This gives a very realistic edge to the film, while the chronological following of the ship and crew mirror the experiences of the seamen who went from green recruits through the rigours of military life, battle, and, for some, death.
In his autobiography Baa Baa Black Sheep, U.S. Marine Corps ace pilot Gregory "Pappy" Boyington claims that the film briefly shows the small pit in which he and five other prisoners of war took cover during the Truk raid. Boyington had been captured by the Japanese and was being transported to a prison camp on the Truk islands when the raid began. Boyington writes that the prisoners, tied and blindfolded, were thrown from their transport plane during a hurried landing, and that one of their Japanese captors saved their lives by throwing them into the pit, where they survived without harm. According to Boyington, the film also shows a crater from a two-thousand pound bomb that landed just fifteen feet from the pit.
Due to her fighting heritage, and to honor all carrier sailors and airmen, the Yorktown is on permanent display at Patriots Point in Charleston, SC.
Alfred Newman's musical theme was reused in Hell and High Water and in many 20th Century Fox film trailers.

You can watch it on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_7762sFGVI

Or download it here:
http://archive.org/details/FightingLady
"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson
Schanilec

RE: "The Fighting Lady"

Post by Schanilec »

Downloaded it a few years back. Watch about twice a year. About an hour long. Very good footage.
This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

I never knew about this film, thanks for the post! Hal
fodder

Post by fodder »

Yup, I've had this one for a long while. I watch it every now and then. [8D]
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Fighting Lady changed my father's job. The USAAF was very ticked off about being trumped by the Navy and they wanted my father's unit to start collecting footage for a USAAF movie along the same lines. They started shooting color film. I think he was sent to the Pacific with the 35mm motion picture cameras. They were also issued handheld motion picture cameras to try and capture "the action" out side windows if possible. My father didn't use his much.

My father has pointed out that a carrier lent itself to movie making a lot more than what he was doing. The action came to the carrier whereas flying from land bases the only combat footage you're going to get is from the air. They also didn't get the dramatic landing scenes you could get on a carrier. If a plane can make it back to a land base, they have a much higher chance of making a safe landing than on a carrier.

In the 9th AF they did gather enough footage of the P-47 ground attack aircraft to start on a movie, but I don't think it was ever released. Against Japan the USAAF never gathered enough footage to even get started on a movie.

I believe Fighting Lady won an Oscar.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

Bill, I was reading your Sig line and I have determined that I am at present playing WITP-AE at a cost of .003 cents per hour.[:)]
czert2

Post by czert2 »

finaly i know from where nicname fighting lady come to yorktown :)

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”