Advances engines from mods and research

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Rainerle

Advances engines from mods and research

Post by Rainerle »

Some mods introduce advanced engines (like advanced Mitsubishi or advanced Nakajima). Those engines can not be researched and are available when the time of availability is reached. Is that correct? Now, can planes using said engines be researched before the engine is available? They could obviously not be built, but what about research?

Thanks for any answer that sheds light into this.
Image brought to you by courtesy of Subchaser!
kmitahj

RE: Advances engines from mods and research

Post by kmitahj »

Hi Rainerle,
Yes that is correct I think. Especially if you are referring to CHS mod (don't remember atm if BigB uses advanced engines too?). Engines can not be researched and are available at fixed dates which in turn puts limits on research of some middle-war planes (for example there is no point to research N1K1 George at all in CHS). It is limitation of the engine, true but I think it is also good design decision. Afterall engine problems were major factor limiting development of new airplane models for Japan.
I think that in that respect at least CHS looks better then AE where engine development is so easy that it is (was last time I've checked) basically non-issue. In fact whole R&D issue (planes+engines) is imho way to easy in AE and WitP/CHS looks more realistic in that respect (iconoclastic as it may sound :-)

And there is no problems researching airplane to date before the date of its engine availability. It works no problems - you will get the plane available accordingg to results of its own R&D but won't be able to produce it without engines in stock (people in the plane factory will sit on their hands simply :-).

Rainerle

Post by Rainerle »

Hi kmitahj, thanks for your answer. Do I get it right that planes can be researched but it just makes no sense to accelerate them to before their engine appearance.
Image brought to you by courtesy of Subchaser!
kmitahj

Post by kmitahj »

ORIGINAL: Rainerle

Hi kmitahj, thanks for your answer. Do I get it right that planes can be researched but it just makes no sense to accelerate them to before their engine appearance.
Yes! That is exactly what I wanted to say in my long-winded way. [;)]. And sorry for late answer!

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”