Automatic upgrading of plane factories

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Sieppo

Automatic upgrading of plane factories

Post by Sieppo »

It is the 5th of August 42. The next Oscar model, Ki-43-IIa should be available in August 42. The Oscar Ic-factories have not upgraded (upgrading is set on). Should I do it manually now, because I can, without damaging the factories?
> What is the hardest thing in the universe?
> A diamond?
> No. 500 machine gun men on a mountain.
KenchiSulla

RE: Automatic upgrading of plane factories

Post by KenchiSulla »

You can do it manually without damaging the factories, as long aircraft (y) your upgrading to is a successor of aircraft (x) your upgrading from.
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
Uncivil Engineer

Post by Uncivil Engineer »

ORIGINAL: Sieppo

It is the 5th of August 42. The next Oscar model, Ki-43-IIa should be available in August 42. The Oscar Ic-factories have not upgraded (upgrading is set on). Should I do it manually now, because I can, without damaging the factories?

If you're playing the stock game the Oscar IIa is not available until November 42.
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

Scen2, IIa available 8/42. I was just wondering because I though the upgrade was automatic if allowed. I guess it means that the factory will upgrade sometime during that month, since my first automatic upgrade (H6K4->H6K5 Mavis) had happened in June without me noticing it. All of my Mavis-groups are still of the old model and the pool of H6K5 is empty, which is very weird - where have they gone?? I'm producing 197 a month of those..
> A diamond?
Amoral

Post by Amoral »

You're producing 197 Mavis a month?
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

Like I said. 6,57 a day. Ops losses are quite high. So weird, pools shows 0. Wonder what is happening?!

I'm doing quite well in the game, occupied China, all of DEI etc and I have produced some planes to a point where I turn the production off (kates, val, betties).

Edit: could it be that the older model still replaces itself with the newer one without upgrading?
> A diamond?
Puhis

Post by Puhis »

Are you sure you are actually producing 197 Mavis a month (that is insane, BTW). Producing that many need 788 engines a month... Maybe you are out of engines. Or HI points...
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Like I said. 6,57 a day. Ops losses are quite high. So weird, pools shows 0. Wonder what is happening?!

What's your engine pool for the Mavis like? Remember you need 4 per airframe.

That level of Mavis production is-frankly-unrealistic and will be prohibitively expensive in HI costs for airframe and engines.
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

62 Mavis engines in pool so they are not in danger of running out. I really don't care about it being unrealistic, all I want to have is surplus, where do they disappear? Production is not failing. Scen2 has, I think, a couple of extra squadrons of Mavis. But at least squadrons are not running out of planes.

Edit: anyway the engine-thing is right, I guess I have not realized they need 4 engines instead of two but anyways I have not ran out of them.. Something is weird.
> A diamond?
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Check how many were "used" each turn in the airframe replacements screen.
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

Only 58 used so far of the older model and 197 producing of the newer one but none used.. I guess it has been failing all the time for some reason but not because of the engines because there are some in the pool.. Damn, still learning :D.. Maybe I can use the production capacity once I have a few hundred engines in the pool or something like that..
> A diamond?
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

But to the original question: is there some set schedule in which the automatic upgrading should occur? Or should one always try to do it manually the 1st of month the plane is available?
> A diamond?
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

But to the original question: is there some set schedule in which the automatic upgrading should occur? Or should one always try to do it manually the 1st of month the plane is available?

No. Don't do that. Frequently, the automatic conversion takes a couple / few days to switch over. You don't have to always try to do it manually on the first of the month that the plane is available.
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

Ok thanks :)
> A diamond?
MDDgames

Post by MDDgames »

Why in Gods name would anyone want to build 200 Mavis' a month?

I wouldnt use 200 Mavis' for the whole war!
Puhis

Post by Puhis »

62 Mavis engines in pool so they are not in danger of running out. I really don't care about it being unrealistic, all I want to have is surplus, where do they disappear? Production is not failing. Scen2 has, I think, a couple of extra squadrons of Mavis. But at least squadrons are not running out of planes.

Edit: anyway the engine-thing is right, I guess I have not realized they need 4 engines instead of two but anyways I have not ran out of them.. Something is weird.

62 engines is not much, when production of Mavis is using 28 daily. Now I must wonder, if you are trying to produce 197 Mavis a month, how many Vals, Nells and Jakes you're producing? They all need the same engine.

Overproducing everything is the best way to cripple Japan's economy.
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

I was only looking at the engine amounts and wondered why no planes where building even if there were engines. I now cut the productions down to better match the engine amounts. Some supply lost but now I will get planes pretty quickly if there are engines :)..
> A diamond?
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

ORIGINAL: MDDgames

Why in Gods name would anyone want to build 200 Mavis' a month?

I wouldnt use 200 Mavis' for the whole war!

As I said, I have stopped production once satisfying levels are reached. I just wasn't alert enough on the engine amounts.. Mavis is also one of the more useful planes for Japan.
> A diamond?
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

You may not want to expand your factories quite so large for production that you're planning on turning off and on. It costs significant supply and lots of HI to expand and 'repair' expansion. If you're not going to constantly have such a monthly demand, you may wish to rethink this "build it large and turn it on and off" approach, as it is costly.

WRT your OPS losses-why do you think they are so high with the Mavis? Could there be some settings or other support-related issue(s) that you haven't unearthed? My experience with the H5, H6 and H8 is that they need to be 'babied' and used in reasonable moderation with lots of support. Their SR=4 rating speaks to this. However, with these limitations, I don't lose too many to OPS losses.

Maybe we can help you with something here?
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

You may not want to expand your factories quite so large for production that you're planning on turning off and on. It costs significant supply and lots of HI to expand and 'repair' expansion. If you're not going to constantly have such a monthly demand, you may wish to rethink this "build it large and turn it on and off" approach, as it is costly.

WRT your OPS losses-why do you think they are so high with the Mavis? Could there be some settings or other support-related issue(s) that you haven't unearthed? My experience with the H5, H6 and H8 is that they need to be 'babied' and used in reasonable moderation with lots of support. Their SR=4 rating speaks to this. However, with these limitations, I don't lose too many to OPS losses.

Maybe we can help you with something here?

FWIW, whenever I use these squadrons for ongoing operations (as opposed to short term transport missions), I always set them to 30% rest. This results in acceptable ops losses for me, though I haven't ever used them on Nav Attack.

As for the turn it on and off, this was something I learned in my first AI game. I overexpanded early (though thankfully not too much to salvage), and had to manage my pool levels after that. Although the extreme levels of HI saved per turn after turning off a bunch of aircraft factories because you have pools of 600 of various A6Ms, 300 each of Vals/Kates/Oscars (the earlier ones with no bombs...), and 200 Netties is nice to see, even if it's a sign of early failure.

I think I subscribe to expanding armaments and vehicle factories early and later turning them off, as the need for replacements will be greater earlier on and once you've got a good pool built up, above future needs, then it's sensible to turn them off for the 6 HI saved per point.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”