Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Saper)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Harrybanana

RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Saper)

Post by Harrybanana »

T67 (Sept 24/42)Clear Weather on all Fronts again. In fact it has been clear weather in all 4 Weather zones all summer. Not sure exactly what the odds of this are, but have to be pretty slim. Thank God it happened in 42 and not 41.

In the North I continue maneuvering my units around Saper's flank. Perhaps this is where I should have made my main effort.

Attachments
North.jpg
North.jpg (619.99 KiB) Viewed 195 times
Robert Harris
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

Not unsurprisingly Saper broke the minor encirclement I had created last turn. Tank Corps, even in light woods, are pretty fragile. He has rushed significant reinforcements to this area. I dithered a long time before deciding what to do.

Attachments
Before.jpg
Before.jpg (694.83 KiB) Viewed 195 times
Robert Harris
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

Saper was concentrating his forces on the North and South flanks of my "breakthrough", with very little actually blocking the road straight West. perhaps a bolder person than myself would have reinforced his flanks while driving West. But Saper's panzer's have been resting for a few turns gathering their strength. I wasn't at all sure my flanks would hold and feared my spearhead would be cut off. So instead I put my efforts into re-isolating the same hex as last time (which had been reinforced by Saper), and putting up a wall to try and hold the encirclement this time. I doubt I'll succeed, but I should be able to bleed Saper some more.

Below are the 2 key attacks I had to win to re-establish and have any hope of holding the encirclement.

Attachments
MyAttacks.jpg
MyAttacks.jpg (657.32 KiB) Viewed 195 times
Robert Harris
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

This is the area after my turn. Hopefully Saper doesn't have any powerful panzer units in the area or this could turn into a disaster. Last game on a few occasions Saper and I took turns isolating one another units for 3 or 4 turns in a row before one of us finally blinked.

Attachments
After.jpg
After.jpg (700.84 KiB) Viewed 195 times
Robert Harris
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

More reinforcements on the way from the South.

Attachments
Reinforcements.jpg
Reinforcements.jpg (573.18 KiB) Viewed 195 times
Robert Harris
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Hes in trouble, September and your breaking his lines that wide open.

He should have gone over to defensive a while back and put 3 or 4 mech/panzer units in each army with 2 extra Corp of Infantry in reserve.

That way no matter where you tried to hit he could easly react and stop pushes with the 2 extra infantry Corp.

GHC will not have any weak areas until summer 44.

If all the panzers are in the 4 PG's it makes GHC very slow to react, slower then SHC.

SHC at this point of 42 can only push or break lines in 1 or 2 spots, very very easy to counter with a balanced defence.

Easy to counter in 43 for that matter.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

What happened in this game? It would seem Harry was going to win it quite well?
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

We played about 3 more turns than I've posted. Unfortunately I was unable to continue the game so offered my resignation to Saper. In those three turns he trapped a few of my units West of Bryansk. Despite the loss of some good units I think I was still in pretty good shape; but since I was the one calling the game I felt obliged to surrender. If anyone wants I can post screenies of those last 3 turns.

I haven't played any games since, but I do check in from time to time to read some of the AARs (especially yours Michael) as well as to read the latest debates. Perhaps I'll be able to get back into the game at about the same time as WiTW is released.
Robert Harris
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Sorry you could not finish it. But I certainly understand, I have my own issues to deal with ATM.

Anyway blind freddy could see this one was yours. I was enjoying it. All the best and see you around [:)]
Anauso72

Post by Anauso72 »

I am impressed with the number of guards tanks corps (around 8) that you have on turn 60. Attack in the blizzard Always using tanks brigades?
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: anauso

I am impressed with the number of guards tanks corps (around 8) that you have on turn 60. Attack in the blizzard Always using tanks brigades?

There is a bug that's about to get nerfed that counts 1 win as 2 for SHC units tring for guards.

be allot harder to get them there guard units soon.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE

Return to “After Action Reports”