Supply buildup

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

margeorg

Supply buildup

Post by margeorg »

Hello,

another noob question here: What´s the recommended way to have a base building up a supply stockpile? In some AAR I did read something about "builds forts to build up supply". What does that mean?
Cheers
Martin
jeffk3510

RE: Supply buildup

Post by jeffk3510 »

The combination of port size and airfield size determine how much suppply and fuel you can store at a base before spoilage happens. When the combination reaches nine, no spoilage occurs.

I don't recall ever seeing anything about forts having any affect on supply.
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

There are bases on the map (Darwin - Alice Springs axis, bases in Burma-India border) which have "max draw" limits. To push more supply through this bases, you need to develop them by building airfields, ports and forts. Since most of these bases are inland, you end up developing airfields and forts there.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

There are bases on the map (Darwin - Alice Springs axis, bases in Burma-India border) which have "max draw" limits. To push more supply through this bases, you need to develop them by building airfields, ports and forts. Since most of these bases are inland, you end up developing airfields and forts there.

Forts have no effect on supply, only air and port.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

So, the following thread was wrong? See post 4:
tm.asp?m=2302974&mpage=1&key=monsoon%2Csupply%EF%BF%BD
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

So, the following thread was wrong? See post 4:
tm.asp?m=2302974&mpage=1&key=monsoon%2Csupply%EF%BF%BD

There have been many changes since the game came out so I might have missed something. I've searched the Manual and any upgrade documentation I've got or have access too and I cannot find any reference to forts drawing supply. I have found two or three references to forts drawing supply in the forum but nothing that makes me change my mind.

Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

Would be realistic. I suppose forts would have storage space for taking in supplies etc.. New info for me also if so, but I would like it.
> What is the hardest thing in the universe?
> A diamond?
> No. 500 machine gun men on a mountain.
Thayne

Post by Thayne »

Andy is an extremely reliable source when it comes to supply.

Technically, forts do not "draw supply", but - in certain places in and around Burma forts are relevant to a cap governing how many supplies can be drawn.

The amount of supply a base can draw in this area is reduced (and reduced by half again in monsoon season) to represent the difficulty in getting supplies overland from India to Burma or Burma to India.

This cap is equal to "ports + airfields + forts * 50"

The forts do not draw supply. However, without the forts, some of the supplies that the base could have otherwise drawn will not, in fact, be drawn - if it exceeds the cap.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Sieppo

Would be realistic. I suppose forts would have storage space for taking in supplies etc.. New info for me also if so, but I would like it.

I fully agree
MDDgames

Post by MDDgames »

ORIGINAL: Thayne

Andy is an extremely reliable source when it comes to supply.

Technically, forts do not "draw supply", but - in certain places in and around Burma forts are relevant to a cap governing how many supplies can be drawn.

The amount of supply a base can draw in this area is reduced (and reduced by half again in monsoon season) to represent the difficulty in getting supplies overland from India to Burma or Burma to India.

This cap is equal to "ports + airfields + forts * 50"

The forts do not draw supply. However, without the forts, some of the supplies that the base could have otherwise drawn will not, in fact, be drawn - if it exceeds the cap.

The problem is, this is only a base to base transfer. Ground unit, not in bases, are unaffected by this and so really, the only thing this "supply draw" thing does is slows the enemies ability to supply the bases on the other side. As long as they arent in a base, there is no effect on them. Flaw in the engine.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

There is still an effect on LCUs located out in the field.

For auto overland resupply, all LCUs receive supplies (and replacement devices which consume supply) from supply depots for which a supply path can be traced. Supply depots are only located at bases. If a base is affected by the monsoon rules it may be quite difficult for the base to get its supply depot up to the minimum level necessary for onforwarding supply to units out in the field.

In Upper Burma the transportation network is so poor that eventually an advancing army will be beyond effective range of supply depots which are not located in monsoon affected bases. One should not fall into the trap of automatically transferring the situation in China over to Burma. China has a much better transportation network than does Upper Burma.

Alfred
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

There is still an effect on LCUs located out in the field.

For auto overland resupply, all LCUs receive supplies (and replacement devices which consume supply) from supply depots for which a supply path can be traced. Supply depots are only located at bases. If a base is affected by the monsoon rules it may be quite difficult for the base to get its supply depot up to the minimum level necessary for onforwarding supply to units out in the field.

In Upper Burma the transportation network is so poor that eventually an advancing army will be beyond effective range of supply depots which are not located in monsoon affected bases. One should not fall into the trap of automatically transferring the situation in China over to Burma. China has a much better transportation network than does Upper Burma.

Alfred

Burma is a nightmare.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”