Game crashes with ProcGx and GxEmP errors

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

blontzo

Game crashes with ProcGx and GxEmP errors

Post by blontzo »

Hi guys,

Since I installed Shadows, I frequently encounter random crashes throughout the game for which I could not find any solution in the forum or google (error message standing below, it's the same as in the crash dump file). I already tried to reinstall Shadows and the latest update to version 1.9.0.8, as well as .NET and XNA, but nothing seems to help.

For my system specs see the attached DxDiag file.

Does anyone else experience this or a similar issue?

Thanks for your help!

---------------------------
Error
An error has occurred. Distant Worlds will now exit.

Details of the error are below:

Error Code: ProcGx

System.OutOfMemoryException: Out of memory.

at System.Drawing.Graphics.CheckErrorStatus(Int32 status)

at System.Drawing.Graphics.DrawImage(Image image, Rectangle destRect, Int32 srcX, Int32 srcY, Int32 srcWidth, Int32 srcHeight, GraphicsUnit srcUnit, ImageAttributes imageAttrs, DrawImageAbort callback, IntPtr callbackData)

at System.Drawing.Graphics.DrawImage(Image image, Rectangle destRect, Int32 srcX, Int32 srcY, Int32 srcWidth, Int32 srcHeight, GraphicsUnit srcUnit, ImageAttributes imageAttr)

at DistantWorlds.Types.GraphicsHelper.ScaleImage(Bitmap unscaledBitmap, Int32 width, Int32 height, Single alpha, Boolean lowQuality)

at DistantWorlds.Types.GraphicsHelper.SmoothImage(Bitmap image)

at DistantWorlds.Controls.MainView.QvvlMd1CjA(Bitmap& , Bitmap& , Galaxy , Double )

at DistantWorlds.Main.ResetGalaxyBackdrops()

at DistantWorlds.Main.ResetGalaxyBackdropsBackgroundThread()

at DistantWorlds.Main.Aad0zttZGl()

at DistantWorlds.Main.ProgramLoop()
OK

Error
An error has occurred. Distant Worlds will now exit.

Details of the error are below:

Error Code: GxEmP

System.OutOfMemoryException: Out of memory.

at System.Drawing.Graphics.CheckErrorStatus(Int32 status)

at System.Drawing.Graphics.DrawImage(Image image, Rectangle destRect, Int32 srcX, Int32 srcY, Int32 srcWidth, Int32 srcHeight, GraphicsUnit srcUnit, ImageAttributes imageAttrs, DrawImageAbort callback, IntPtr callbackData)

at System.Drawing.Graphics.DrawImage(Image image, Rectangle destRect, Int32 srcX, Int32 srcY, Int32 srcWidth, Int32 srcHeight, GraphicsUnit srcUnit, ImageAttributes imageAttr)

at DistantWorlds.Types.GraphicsHelper.ScaleImage(Bitmap unscaledBitmap, Int32 width, Int32 height, Single alpha, Boolean lowQuality)

at DistantWorlds.Types.GraphicsHelper.SmoothImage(Bitmap image)

at DistantWorlds.Controls.MainView.QvvlMd1CjA(Bitmap& , Bitmap& , Galaxy , Double )

at DistantWorlds.Main.ResetGalaxyBackdrops()

at DistantWorlds.Main.ResetGalaxyBackdropsBackgroundThread()

at DistantWorlds.Main.Aad0zttZGl()

OK
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
(30.97 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Erik Rutins

RE: Game crashes with ProcGx and GxEmP errors

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Blontzo,

Could you also upload a sample save file from one of your games please? Instructions are pinned to the top of this forum.

As you are running a 32-bit operating system, you don't have access to your full 8GB of system memory. It's possible that if you are running very large and complex games with maximum galaxy size and empires, that you may be able to use up your memory. In any case, we'll see if we can figure anything out from these messages and your save file, once you upload it.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
blontzo

Post by blontzo »

Hi Erik,

I uploaded the savegame to your FTP server (file "Blontzo Game crashes with ProcGx and GxEmP errors.rar").

The galaxy is set up with only a 100 stars and 11 empires. Also, I never encountered this issue with Legends or any previous version, even with larger galaxies.

Regards, Blontzo
blontzo

Post by blontzo »

Hi,

I guess no reply after 3 weeks means no one else got this problem (or a solution to it)?

Grtz, Blontzo
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

Hi blontzo

These Out-Of-Memory crashes will unfortunately happen on 32-bit operating systems if you simply leave DW running for long enough. Though we've done a lot of work to minimize memory usage, we do not have complete control over this. This is a side effect of how memory is managed on Windows and in .Net.

The best way to avoid these crashes is to use a 64-bit version of Windows.

Failing that you can use the /3GB memory switch on 32-bit Windows as described in the links below:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721
http://dwf.blogs.com/beyond_the_paper/2009/04/enabling-3gb-switch-on-windows-vista.html

This will give DW more memory to use and will eliminate these Out Of Memory errors.

Thanks
Elliot
blontzo

Post by blontzo »

Hi Elliot!

I tried the 3GB switch and DW works now as a charm! Could play yesterday for about 2 hours without the game crashing.

So I suppose my problem is solved with this.

Thanks a lot!
Blontzo
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

glad it worked for you blontzo, but you really need a 64bit o/s, not for this game either, but your spec is way to good not to be using a 64bit o/s,

here are my reasons for the reply as well,

8gb of ram and windows 7 32bit? plus a 3gb+ video card, thats a lot of wasted ram your pc will never have access to either tbh.....

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 6b94ce19b1

you can only use some of it then, use a 64bit version and you'd be better off, add your video memory into how much you have and then subtract the max a 32bit o/s will use, plus i think game has a memory leak as it seems to be a problem with long hours of use etc etc

quote for those who don't plan on going to the link,

"A 32Bit operation system supports up to 4GB of memory, however not all of it may be available for use by applications.

The 32-bit architecture has a memory access limit of 4GB (2^32 bytes). This permits you to use about 2.75-3.5GB of RAM after IO reservations are factored in, so minus your video ram and you get less

If you only have 4GB of memory max including video memory and do not plan to install any additional memory then I would install the 32Bit version as there is nothing to be gained by installing the 64Bit version. However if you plan to upgrade to 6 or more GB of memory sometime in the future then install the 64Bit version.
=================================================================================
In round numbers XP, Vista and Windows 7 32-Bit Versions of the Operating System can only address 4GB. Does not matter how much memory you have installed 4GB is the max. From that max your video card has XXXMB of ram on the card so that limits the operating system to 4GB minus the cards XXXMB of memory.
In addition other hardware also takes away additional amounts of memory (usually a small when compared to the video card)
and the remaining memory (address space) is available for Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 OS and your applications.
So that 4th GB thru 16 GB of ram you installed or will install goes unused on a 32-Bit OS. Does not matter what the BIOS reports or what the OS shows as installed memory it still limited to that 4GB address barrier.
A link to the white paper titled "Gaming Performance Analysis" by Corsair
Memory Inc. provides a good clear explanation of how a video card effects
the amount of available memory in your PC. "end quote

just use the link for more info

so adding the 3gb switch works for you as thats all you can access anyway, anymore and you will get the error, as it can't use what it can't access, aka error, run out of memory, it will try and access what it can't use and throw a error code and crash the game / app in question.....

remove the amount, add the switch, or change the o/s, you won't regret it, but yes it's money, yes it's a fresh install to a 64bit o/s, but you already have a great spec, might as well use it, to it's full capacity tbh?[8|]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
jumpback1

Post by jumpback1 »

I am starting to get a GxEmP error, but it only occurs randomly while playing. I think it has something to do with an event or exploration item. I have turned off all monsters, and disaster events but still getting it on different games.

Hannable

Post by Hannable »

EDIT: Never mind, I saw a thread about my issue further down the list and the problem will be addressed next patch. Curse my aging eyes for not seeing it before. [X(]
"Only one human captain has survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else." - Delenn of Minbar
Zilkin

Post by Zilkin »

I think this was ProGX error code too:

Distant Worlds - Crash Dump - 1.9.5.1

21:39:54 3. kesäkuuta 2014

System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.
at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, PixelFormat format)
at DistantWorlds.ItemListCollectionPanel.DrawPanelToImage()
at DistantWorlds.Controls.MainView.DrawMainViewXna()

--- COMPLETE ---
rwood

Post by rwood »

In the past week Universe has started crashing with first the ProcGx and now the GxEmP errors. After getting the ProcGx error I updated the video driver since it looked like the error was a null reference to the video card (this is from the IT guy at work). It took about 30 seconds to crash with the GxEmP error. I don't know where to find any crash logs to load or copy here. Game is unplayable now. What do I do?
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Crash logs are in:

Documents\My Games\Distant Worlds Universe

That is, start at the windows documents folder.

If there is a crash log, it should be pretty obvious inside there, as there is just a few files and folders. dwcrash.txt or something like that. No crash on this computer, so I don't have a file like that :)
rwood

Post by rwood »

I found the crash log but I can't copy it here because I have not posted enough. Apparently it contains a link, phone number or email.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Can't you post it like Zilkin did a few posts above? The date is not important, so remove that if it actually complains.
rwood

Post by rwood »

Thanks for the suggestion.Here is the crash file:

Distant Worlds - Crash Dump - 1.9.5.12

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at DistantWorlds.Types.Galaxy.ResolveDescription(Empire empire, BuiltObjectMission mission)
at DistantWorlds.HoverPanel.YoAtUaaeoQMoX89lyr7c(Object , Object )
at DistantWorlds.HoverPanel.g3yP0eCMngf(Graphics , BuiltObject , Point )
at DistantWorlds.HoverPanel.Mp7P0jHdQUT(Graphics , BuiltObject , Rectangle )
at DistantWorlds.HoverPanel.DrawHoverInfo(Graphics graphics, Rectangle rectangle)
at DistantWorlds.HoverPanel.DrawHoverInfoToImage(Int32 width, Int32 height)
at DistantWorlds.Controls.MainView.DrawMainViewXna()

--- COMPLETE ---

Any ideas?
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

It could be a genuine crash, but if it is always that way it is not something random.

How to read: It is nested program calls the "original" at the bottom. With is the Main Loop (makes sense).

It crashes in a method (function) called "...Galaxy.ResolveDescription".

Which leads to the question: Do you run a mod or a custom galaxy? That could possibly cause a crash in a method like that.

It can be misleading, but it does not look graphics related to me.
rwood

Post by rwood »

No mods or custom anything. Also, I have been playing Universe for 2-3 months with no issues. It just started 2 weeks ago. I did not update it or make any other changes. The previous, to this crash, crashes were all ProcGx errors but the one I took a picture of had exactly the same description as this one. They occurred at various playing times, from a few minutes after starting to maybe a half hour. This crash was a GxEmP error.
Thank you for your answers. I appreciate your taking the time.

Return to “Tech Support”