Allied player needed (Closed)

Post here to meet players for PBEM games and generally engage in ribbing and banter about your prowess.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Puhis

Allied player needed (Closed)

Post by Puhis »

OK, let's try this one more time. I'm looking for an allied player to play updated Scenario 1 (that have AA and ASW fixes). I'm somewhat experience playing Japan, but I've had bad luck with my opponents (so far 5 have vanished without a trace). My last game ended because I wanted to use beta patch, but my opponent rather quit than use beta... [&:]

I prefer historical style, historically "plausible" game. I know that game engine have certain issues and there are possible exploits, so I'm not going to do anything gamey. I'm looking for a similar opponent, who wants to keep things real, not exploit the engine.

Settings:
1 day turns
Map with stacking limits
Variable reinforcements
Advanced Weather: OFF
PDU: OFF
Realistic R&D: ON
Historical settings: first turn, December surprise, faulty USN torpedoes, allied damage control, FOW
Auto subs: OFF
Beta Patch

House Rules:
Player must pay PP to move restricted units across borders
Combat plane max altitude 25000 feet
No gamey air unit resize using carriers
No army 4Es flying low level naval attacks
Players cannot ever build level 9 airfields (this one to make more sense to air war, so that players have to disperse air assets. IMO there's just too many possible level 9 airfields all over the map, and building airfields is too easy)
No strategic bombing in China
Only harrasment night bombing (maybe about 30 bombers each theater)
4Es can only occasionally fly ground bombing missions
Picket ships (I prefer not) must be warships at least 1500 tons

So I'm looking for a motivated, similarly minded opponent, who really wants to play game that last several years. Usually I can play at least 5-7 turns a week.
Mac Linehan

RE: Allied player needed

Post by Mac Linehan »

Puhis -

Regarding the Beta's: I am with you, the latest Beta is the only way to go, each one adds to the playability and thus enjoyment of the game.

As for your former opponents, it is perhaps a blessing that they chose to stop early on, before you are a year into a good game. Please be patient, a worthy opponent will inevitably appear.

Each game start, even if curtailed prematurely, allows us to gain experience and learn something new.

And:

I miss your cat avatar... <grin>

From the Rocky Mountains of Colorado to the arctic beauty of Finland,

Mac
LAV-25 2147
indy58

Post by indy58 »

Puhis,

If you still need a opponent I will be willing. I have played against 3 opponents as Allied and currently still have a ongoing one that is in Oct of 1944.
I recently was playing against NY59Giants(Michael)and we played into 1944. It was Michael first as playing Japan and my first pbem game. I have learned a lot from playing against NY59Giants and I think I can give you a good game. What you listed in your House rules and settings are right up my alley. I've played with stacking limits and it adds realism to the game's ground combat. I prefer historical gameplay without all the gamey stuff. I can do 1 or 2 turns a day. Let me know??

PM me at indy58 or email me at cokerj58@comcast.net

indy58
Puhis

Post by Puhis »

I noticed I like the game very much, but my only game is a bit slow. So I'm looking for second reliable and honorable allied opponent. Game like post #1.

This is scenario 1, so don't be sir Robin. Usually I can play 1 turn/day, albeit first turn might take one week.
Erkki

Post by Erkki »

Hey,

What do you think about the Da Babes scenarios? Perhaps with the new aircraft data from JWE/Symon too.

I have played 2 PBEMs to Autumn 1942 as Japan and a third to Spring 1942. No experience as the Allies besides a couple of turns of single player campaign and scenario. I wrote AARs out of all 3 games, 2 last being on these forums

I can agree to all your house rules, and dont have too many of which to suggest any way(them all falling within the "no gamey things"), but I'd prefer PDU on for the IMHO more realistic and historical flexibility that it provides.

I cannot promise a game quite yet as I'm unsure about how much free time I will have in the future, half a year or so from now on. Wouldnt be too fair to play half a year and then have the turn rate lowered for months at a time.
Puhis

Post by Puhis »

Updated scenario 1 is my 1st choice. I'm not familiar with the Babes changes.

I prefer PDU off because it's less flexible, and represents especially historical constrains of Japan. Also for me one of the fun part is to find a use for all those different planes.

This is still open.
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

I'm interested. Never done PBEM before though

Don't have a problem with the HRs

Only problem I have is that with wife, job and 2 little kids I might not be able to be as fast as you like, though I'd hope to be able to manage 5-7 turns a week.

PM if you want any further details
Feltan

Post by Feltan »

Where else would you find a shopkeeper from Liverpool challenging a Finn with an awesome moustache over a war that ended almost 70 years ago.

I mean the entertainment value of the forums is almost as great as the game!

Regards,
Feltan
Puhis

Post by Puhis »

It must be the mustache, but 4 people wanted a game. 3 offers were possible, and then there was one who already have pulled a Houdini once.

So thanks for asking, folks! This time I'm going to play with Walloc.
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: Puhis

So thanks for asking, folks! This time I'm going to play with Walloc.

I've been told Walloc's a good opponent and is great to get along with. Enjoy your game.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
Puhis

Post by Puhis »

I'm thinking about open this once more. Is there any reliable opponents at all?

I've been without a game couple months now. Walloc dissappeared, and I had to quit my last game because the weekly turn rate was only 2 or 3. I didn't see point playing game that slow. I think I'm ready to try one more time, even though losing game after game is very frustrating.
Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

Good luck finding an opponent. My second game I started recently has just stopped as well, the first is still proceeding, slowly, through 1944. I considered putting my hand up as an opponent for you but I can normally only manage 2-3 turns a week myself between work and kids.
bigred

Post by bigred »

2 to 3 turns per week seems fast to me. Do u play w/ 2 day turns.
---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
tm.asp?m=2597400
Puhis

Post by Puhis »

ORIGINAL: bigred

2 to 3 turns per week seems fast to me. Do u play w/ 2 day turns.

1 day turns. Problem with slow turn rate is that it's hard to me to keep focused. I don't like writing notes, so if I get only 2 or 3 turn each week I don't remember what I'm doing. IMO that's not a good thing to my opponent either.

Now I'm playing against fellow Finn, and we can usually get 2 turns each day.

Return to “Opponents Wanted”