ASW or Naval Attack

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

spence

ASW or Naval Attack

Post by spence »

A PBM's mission to Ponape:

Attachments
vp202_11_18jan2013.jpg
vp202_11_18jan2013.jpg (387.37 KiB) Viewed 34 times
spence

RE: ASW or Naval Attack

Post by spence »

And now from the same AAR, check out the armament carried

Attachments
vp202_08_18jan2013_2.jpg
vp202_08_18jan2013_2.jpg (216.6 KiB) Viewed 34 times
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

I am not sure PBM-3 was capable of "violent evasive actions", but from descriptions of Japanese ASW bombs, I would say it was pretty standard bomb, but with very thin exterior (and more explosives). So probably it could be used successfully against unarmored ships.

Anyway, in-game you can not use ASW weapons on planes, so you HAVE TO model ASW bombs as normal bombs (maybe with added range, which MAY help when submarine dives, but this is impossible to test - if such modifications makes any change)
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Yes, I'm sure you know better than the aircrew who flew the mission "Inquistor"...[8|]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Cpt Sherwood

Post by Cpt Sherwood »

Interesting Spence, I think I would put that mission into the Naval Search category. Even though they carried depth charges and not bombs. I would appear that a DC could be effective against either a sub or surface ship. I would think that an actual hit on a ship would not be the best outcome, but a very near miss with the DC exploding close to the hull would be the desired result.
“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” ― Lucius Annaeus Seneca
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Hydrostatic fuse, 25'
& instantaneous nose
fuse.

I didn't know they double-fused any depth charges! That explains their usefulness as GP bombs.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

I guess they never knew what happened to those ships!
kaleun

Post by kaleun »

U 505 operating in the Caribbean was attacked while on the surface by a Hudson patrol bomber. (Steel Boat Iron Hearts' The wartime saga of Hans Goebeler and U-505)
On an overcast day the Hudson, operating with his radar turned off, came in very low and dropped a depth charge on the surfaced U-boat. The DC hit the boat's deck and exploded heavily damaging the submarine (which survived) destroying the aircraft and killing all the aircrew.

For those who are interested, the pilot of the Hudson had perfected a technique where he would patrol for a few days with his radar turned on. The submarine would dive upon detecting the Hudson's radar, but the sub was detected already by the aircraft. He would plot the U-boat's trajectory and predict (guess?) where he would be the day of the planned attack. That day he would come in low with the radar turned off. The sub, trusting its radar detector, might not have as good a lookout as it should and could be hit on the surface. He had scored 4 or 5 kills by the time he encountered 505. He probably would aim the DC to drop near the sub and explode shallow to hit the sub from the bottom. This time he aimed too well.
Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu
spence

Post by spence »

There are some other USN AARs (at least one with VPB 202) which illustrate the use of 325lb depth charges as a weapon with which to attack surface ships. It would seem that the instantaneous fuze in the nose of the bomb could not be activated at the same time as the depth fuze but it would also seem that the instantaneous fuze could be activated relatively rapidly while in flight.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Many many (many) U-boat kills were done by aerial depth charge drops. For those pilots that saw the effects of their handiwork after the bombing, they often cited the submarine breaking into pieces from the underwater concussive effects of the DCs. Some cited mammoth holes in the U-boat hull too. Often their DCs were set for "shallow" or 50'.

I don't see any reason why the same sort of hull damage wouldn't be wrought on any other shallow-draft vessel unfortunate enough to occupy the water at the same time as a nearby exploding DC.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”