Scale?

Combat Command is Boku Strategy Games World War II operational game. strategy games played warfare on a hex playing field with turn-based game play utilizing company-sized units. Game design aspects include turn phases, combat resolution, unit design, scenarios and artificial intelligence.

Moderator: Obsolete

wodin

Scale?

Post by wodin »

Whats the hex size in this game? I'd have thought around 500m is about right for a Coy level game..if it is then the actual Stalingrad map is way out of whack, just way to small. The link below shows the scale for coy level and Stalingrad I'd like to see in CC.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1813805
Fred98

RE: Scale?

Post by Fred98 »

Each hex is about 500 meters.

Each unit is about company size.

By coincidence I just completyed a game against the AI yesterday and it was enjoyable to play.

wodin

Post by wodin »

If it is 500m then the Stalingrad scenario map seems really out of scale..Stalingrad was around over 45km's long from North to South (it's even longer now) so thats a fair few hexes in length. Look at the Stalingard map in my link above..thats roughly the scale it should be...

A shame..is it possible to create new maps?

SO as you can see the map is not just abit off scale but massively off scale. I think if the game can't support a map big enough then the battle could have been divided into three, North,Center and then South. Three separate scenarios. Also if you look at the city graphic tile it's also way off in scale.

If I had the talent I'd mod the hell out of the map graphics and create three scenarios.

Streets of Stalingrad is 300m hex..it's roughly from the furthest south upto Spartakovka 70 hexes, and anywhere from 13 to 4 hexes wide. This map was taken from aerial photos of the time so should be pretty accurate.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

I agree about the scale of the Stalingrad scenario.

The editor in this game is the easiest editor in the history of wargaming.

This is a great wargame. It deserves a better following.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

The largest possible map is about 100 x 65 ( or so)

wodin

Post by wodin »

Ok so it should be possible..I wonder..if it's possible to change the icon graphics to look abit more to scale i.e the city icons and make three separate scenarios covering the city fighting, this could be the game that gives us a good Stalingrad scenario..

I'd like the map to end up looking more like the map done for Battlefront scenario..would take some work on the art side..but would it be possible I wonder..
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

Yes its possible. And quite easy.

Do you have the game?

I could do such a thing but I would need somebody to check the maps as they are done. Somebody who has the game.

wodin

Post by wodin »

No I don't have it mate...but if all this is possible I will have to get it at some point, but it will be after Xmas as I'm skint.
JJKettunen

Post by JJKettunen »

ORIGINAL: wodin

If it is 500m then the Stalingrad scenario map seems really out of scale..Stalingrad was around over 45km's long from North to South (it's even longer now) so thats a fair few hexes in length. Look at the Stalingard map in my link above..thats roughly the scale it should be...

A shame..is it possible to create new maps?

SO as you can see the map is not just abit off scale but massively off scale. I think if the game can't support a map big enough then the battle could have been divided into three, North,Center and then South. Three separate scenarios. Also if you look at the city graphic tile it's also way off in scale.

If I had the talent I'd mod the hell out of the map graphics and create three scenarios.

Streets of Stalingrad is 300m hex..it's roughly from the furthest south upto Spartakovka 70 hexes, and anywhere from 13 to 4 hexes wide. This map was taken from aerial photos of the time so should be pretty accurate.

Better late than never, eh? [;)]

A part of the map, first draft, Mamayev Kurgan in the middle.

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn
JMass

Post by JMass »

[:)]
"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection ... dgame&ff=1
JJKettunen

Post by JJKettunen »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Looks great..I'd go for a more Russian brick red terrain texture though. Or something like this..the last link streets of Stalingrad is a similar scale..get the colours like that..

That's something for JMass to do. I just rotated the SoS map counterclockwise and started putting in the terrain.
Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

Return to “Combat Command Series”