Morale Settings Question

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Michael T

Morale Settings Question

Post by Michael T »

If I start a game with Axis morale at 100 then getting a Panzer/Mot unit to morale 88-90 is about the limit in most cases, no matter how many wins I get. But if I start a game with 105 Axis morale it seems very easy to get morale up to 99.

I would have thought that the cap might be around 93-95. Can anyone explain this?

Maybe 103 is enough?
Peltonx

RE: Morale Settings Question

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Michael T

If I start a game with Axis morale at 100 then getting a Panzer/Mot unit to morale 88-90 is about the limit in most cases, no matter how many wins I get. But if I start a game with 105 Axis morale it seems very easy to get morale up to 99.

I would have thought that the cap might be around 93-95. Can anyone explain this?

Maybe 103 is enough?

seeing I just PMed you the answer
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

I will explain
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

1st off you should be in the 90-93 range with all your panzer units not under 90 and have 12 + infantry divisions over 90 by end of summer with a 100 vs 100 setting. I been doing it for yrs.

Now this is only IF you can panzer blitzkrieg east as or close to as fast as MT. MT is still the best at that, but I am getting closer.

People simply do not watch morale closely enough, including MT.

100 to 105 is 5%

So give me 5% and you get on turn 8.

Attachments
GeraldPelton001.jpg
GeraldPelton001.jpg (254.41 KiB) Viewed 164 times
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Remember people are running like little girls east from me so I simply farm the pickets and do not pocket them.

I will take 20+ retreats to a single surrender and day

Morale is of The Battle Field.

That answer your question MT?

The other thing is morale is working as designed FINALYYY.

The only thing broken is the Middle Earth rule of 10 hexes from the front and you get 50 morale
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I have done a test and even at 101 morale setting its easy to get to 99% morale with Pz/Mot. With 100 morale its a struggle to get beyond 90%.

I don't want a cakewalk no matter which side I play. And on the face of it even 101 morale setting is too much. Seeing a German Army full of Pz/Mot units at 99% is goin to be a cakewalk for them. So we go from a Red I win button to a Axis I win button.

That may be some peoples preference but not mine.

To be honest I don't know what to do now.

The stock settings favour the Reds. Adjusting Axis morale to just even 101 makes it too much in favour of the Axis.

[&:]
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

I have done a test and even at 101 morale setting its easy to get to 99% morale with Pz/Mot. With 100 morale its a struggle to get beyond 90%.

I don't want a cakewalk no matter which side I play. And on the face of it even 101 morale setting is too much. Seeing a German Army full of Pz/Mot units at 99% is goin to be a cakewalk for them. So we go from a Red I win button to a Axis I win button.

That may be some peoples preference but not mine.

To be honest I don't know what to do now.

The stock settings favour the Reds. Adjusting Axis morale to just even 101 makes it too much in favour of the Axis.

[&:]

There is an easy fix, throw out the stupid Middle Earth rule of 10 hexes from the front you magicly get to 50 morale even though NM setting is 35 Romanians ect ect.

Who comes up with these rules?

How is that crap historical? Its like 1v1 = 2v1 based on nothing other then Middle Earth Magic.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Also infantry is more important then panzers in the long run.

GHC has to be strong all along the front.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

All I know is this, even just a 101 bump in Axis morale it is an Axis 'I win Button'.

I am going to do some more tests. Obviously there is some kind of 'butterfly effect' going on here.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I started a 1942 CG with 101 Axis morale. I was able to easily get a bunch of non SS Pz/Mot XX up to 99% morale.

Anyone who thinks this is fair or realistic is kidding themselves. Obviously the morale settings have hidden effects we are unaware of.

Back to the drawing board I am afraid.
Spielverderber

Post by Spielverderber »

Hm, this is interesting. So lowering SHC moral to 95 has a limited effect. Basically it guarantees the Axis a super start with almost zero losses and a nice moral boost. I'm assuming that new Russian units entering the map also have lower moral and it takes them maybe one extra turn to get to 50? Now, raising GHC moral to 105 means that after a couple of turns all German tank/mech units have close to 100% moral and it's a total cakewalk for the Axis.

Who would want to play like this? And don't come with the newbie shut up crap again. If all your units are at 99% morale even a veteran has no chance.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I have based all my thoughts on the 105-110 Axis morale boost on what a couple of other guys have said, from their experinces. It is only now that it is being touted as a 'semi-offical' balancing tool that I have tested out. My own opinion now is as I said above.

I can only hope 2by3 correct the problem. I see no other solution now.

Spielverderber

Post by Spielverderber »

When we play a campaign game we invest a lot of time and effort. We look forward to a wonderful and challenging game in which everyone has a chance. It is extremely frustrating to have someone temper with the settings and ruin the game for everyone else. You guys are doing just that. You were insisting in many forums that 105/95 was the new fair setting. I remember Pelton telling everyone that these settings were almost meaningless. Instead, now it is clear that the game is rigged with these settings. You guys are openly admitting it.

Just look at Pelton's last five games. It's silly! He cuts like a hot knife through butter with his tanks on steroids. I'm sure he has nothing but 99% morale tanks and mech units. And this is suppose to be fun? Thanks a lot for waisting my time! [:-]
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Look, I would never adjust the settings of a game without informing my opponent. Or testing the effect. Don't paint me with the same brush as some others. I am just the messenger.

Meanwhile more tests show that getting an INF XX up to 98% morale is not a problem either with a 101 setting.
I am curious what might be possible with the Rumanians. They are next on the list.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I got a Rumanian INF XX up to 75 morale when I stopped. It seems that a morale setting of 101 means that there is no cap on gaining morale pts through winning battles. The extra 1% means that you always get 1 extra morale pt for winning a battle. So in theory with a setting of 101 Axis morale you could get your whole German Army up to 99% morale, and keep it there. Even the Rumanians could get to 99% morale. But I suspect there would be no Russians left on the map long before that was acheived.

Personally I am sorry if my initial support of this setting has influenced others to start games with it. I can only offer that I assumed that a setting of 105 simply meant NM was increased from 75 to 80. That assumption was wrong.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

I got a Rumanian INF XX up to 75 morale when I stopped. It seems that a morale setting of 101 means that there is no cap on gaining morale pts through winning battles. The extra 1% means that you always get 1 extra morale pt for winning a battle. So in theory with a setting of 101 Axis morale you could get your whole German Army up to 99% morale, and keep it there. Even the Rumanians could get to 99% morale. But I suspect there would be no Russians left on the map long before that was acheived.

Personally I am sorry if my initial support of this setting has influenced others to start games with it. I can only offer that I assumed that a setting of 105 simply meant NM was increased from 75 to 80. That assumption was wrong.

You might want to do a little more testing on 100 morale setting old boy.

Remember morale has never worked as designed until after 1.07
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Spielverderber

Post by Spielverderber »

Thanks for doing the testing. It looks like GHC moral level of 101 or higher should be reserved for the AI. 100/95 might be a good solution because it gives the Axis player the chance to do the huge Lvov pocket.

I apologize for putting you on the same level with Pelton. [:D] I'm slightly upset because I just wasted 8 turns on a rigged game. I have very little spare time. Quite frankly, I find Peltons behavior shameful. He doesn't even tell his opponents up front that he changed the settings. That itself should make everyone suspicious. GHC moral level of 105 is a joke. I'm sure after a couple of turns he has nothing else but 99% tank and mech units. What's the point? All this just to humiliate an opponent? What bugs me most is that he is so good that he could surely beat all his last five opponents including myself on standard settings.
Disgruntled Veteran

Post by Disgruntled Veteran »

Damn, I wished I had 105 morale settings when I started my game vs the Pro's. I need 75 morale Romanians[:D] .
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Disgruntled Veteran

Damn, I wished I had 105 morale settings when I started my game vs the Pro's. I need 75 morale Romanians[:D] .

Like I told you MT before crowing ask a pro about Morale

this is with setting 100. It took me 4 turns to get set-up.

and no I am not going to say how I do it.

you can see battles won lost, one unit I did not mess with until turn 5.

Getting above 90 with infantry is not magic when you know how. Like I told you but like everyone else you do not believe me so here is the proof. I have been getting 12+ infantry units 90 - 99 morale now for yrs. Sure its easyer now with 1.07, because the % to gain a point has been upped from 3% to 15% as has been posted.

Getting 99 morale on infantry units with a 100 setting is possible, getting 99 on SU units is possible if you use my defensive settings also.

Take a little more time MT and "mess" with stuff before claiming there is an issue with morale.

Attachments
GeraldPelton001.jpg
GeraldPelton001.jpg (146.83 KiB) Viewed 164 times
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Spielverderber

Post by Spielverderber »

On GHC 105 you get the Romanians to 99 for sure. Killer mutant Romanians! And maybe Hungarians with a CV of 18? [:D]

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”