Discussing All Things FPC with Screen Shots

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

jack54

RE: Discussing All Things FPC with Screen Shots

Post by jack54 »

Hi again,

Sorry, I hate to be a pest but could you elaborate on the Mech. Infantry. I see that units with the transports destroyed become leg units but how are dismounted units handled?

1- Is the dismounted infantry abstracted using the same mech counter?

2- I've seen trucks during the DAR; do they unload a leg counter unit?

Thanks and all the BEST!
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

When the transport reach their objective the infantry is unloaded. At that time there are two targets in the hex for each squad. The vehicle and the infantry. They take losses irrespective of each other. It doesn't matter what the transporting unit is, it's treated the same.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Some of this terrain gets expensive. Victory Points are assigned in the editor. You can have them display on the map or hide them.

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachments
ExpensiveTerrain.jpg
ExpensiveTerrain.jpg (136.93 KiB) Viewed 93 times

CrackSabbath

Post by CrackSabbath »

First off, this game looks great, and I'm really looking forward to it!

How does stacking work? I'm working my way through the DAR videos, and saw some hexes w/huge stacks (kind of like playing Jenga if this were a board game). Are there movement or combat penalties?
The Dude abides
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

CrackSabbath,

We are still in the midst of tweaking the AI movement behavior. One thing is avoiding the tall "super" stacks. They occur because of traffic movement limits per hex and have the self correcting artillery magnet clumping of targets. There are two cases for stacking. One is a number of steps maximum (which is still pretty high but we wanted the players to be able to stack up targets if they wanted) and the other is telling the AI to not go above 2 units per hex and in some cases for recon and helos only allow one in the hex.

The latest builds have really reduced the superstack issue and pathing for units is much better.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
CrackSabbath

Post by CrackSabbath »

Sounds good, and thanks for the quick response!

Again, I'm really exited about this game, & hope the beta testing is progressing well. BTW, my birthday is in early October, so it would be awesome if the game were for sale by then. Just sayin' . . . [;)]
The Dude abides
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

This looks like a WWI battlefield with all the artillery strikes. All this was done in 10 hours of battle time.

The minefields you see were also delivered by artillery.

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachments
Verdun.jpg
Verdun.jpg (234.88 KiB) Viewed 94 times

jday305

Post by jday305 »

Shows the flow of the battle
RebelYell

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."
“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

The TOC diary shows the flow of battle as well. As well as when the defenders open fire.

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachments
Engagementranges1.jpg
Engagementranges1.jpg (31.92 KiB) Viewed 94 times

Richard III

Post by Richard III »

Looks very, very good. An improvement on the now "old" HPS Modern War titles.  Is there a Campaign Game at all, if so how is it done ?

One full long campaign where losses are carried forward  to the next battle  ( very hard to implement I realize [8D] ) or linked Battles, or none..[:(]
“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Yes, we are trying to two full campaigns in the release. There will be more after that.

Linked battles - in a way. Separate scenarios with a base force that has losses carried over.

Good Hunting.

MR

FlipTrac_511

Post by FlipTrac_511 »

I haven't been at Matrix for years. This title has pulled me back! It looks great and I'm looking forward to it.

If I may offer a bit of constructive criticism, the color chosen to represent water is a bit overwhelming. From the shots I've been seeing with my iphone, the rivers really try to pull my eyes away from anything else in the map. Perhaps the blue is a little too neon? Just my two cents.

Keep up the good work!
wodin

Post by wodin »

There has been a discussion on the Water colour, you'll find it further down the forum somewhere ;)..it is modifiable and I expect we will see a few graphic mods done..the towns and cities are my issue with the map..everything else I can live with.

ORIGINAL: FlipTrac_511

I haven't been at Matrix for years. This title has pulled me back! It looks great and I'm looking forward to it.

If I may offer a bit of constructive criticism, the color chosen to represent water is a bit overwhelming. From the shots I've been seeing with my iphone, the rivers really try to pull my eyes away from anything else in the map. Perhaps the blue is a little too neon? Just my two cents.

Keep up the good work!
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

As a beta tester I have found that I don't even notice the color of the water during the game. In fact, I have grown accustomed to it. But if you don't like it, you can change the color of the water on any of the maps with the color replacer on any paint program in just a few short minutes. Besides that, you can totally change the maps and create your own terrain set. You don't even need a terrain set, you can scan just about any map, scale it to the game and use it.

The main point, once you start playing I think you won't even notice the water, except when you find the bridge you expected to use to cross it blown.
Charles Belva
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: FlipTrac_511

Welcome back!!

This game is tremendous. I say that for a variety of reasons.

First and foremost, it's a labor of love by wargamers. This is a game we like playing. The changes to the system from the original have been extensive. What I've heard is that Flash Point Germany went from being a good game, to Flash Point Campaigns being one you won't soon forget.

Second, the amount of research into a game is important to me personally. My personal preference, in a game, is one that has all the research and data collection done, but is under the hood and not intrusive on game play. That's been done with FPC.

Third, the game is very addictive. That, "Just One More Turn" has bitten the Development and Beta Teams over and over.

For me, that's all I can ask of a game. Done by the right people, the right way, with addictive game play. [&o] What else is there?

Keep up the good work!

As one of the developers your words are music to my ears. If the one thing that gamers can find issue with is the color of our water this game will be one of the best ever made. The color of the water can be changed on all the maps by anyone in under an hour for all 25 maps the game will ship with.

The blue was chosen originally to stand out so you could tell at a glance where the water is. As Charles said, after playing with it for a little while I don't even see it anymore. So, for us the blue wasn't jarring as it is just looking at it from a screen shot.

If I get some time before we ship I'll change it. If not, anyone else can in short order.

Good Hunting.

MR

Jimbo123

Post by Jimbo123 »

It's been a while since I have been so jazzed about a release. Probably WITE is the last title that had this much of my attention. I loved FPG and spent hours playing it. I have watched the progress and can't wait!!!![:'(]

Lots of luck and you have at least 1 unit sold!!
Jimbo123

Post by Jimbo123 »

FYI

Isn't August late Summer!!

Sorry can't wait!!
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

We're working as fast as we can.

Good Hunting.

MR

5MechDiv

Post by 5MechDiv »

it looks amazing!
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Thanks. We are behind where we wanted to be right now getting PBEM and campaign mechanics working like we want. We will keep everyone posted.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”