OT-Oil Tanker ships

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jakla1027

OT-Oil Tanker ships

Post by jakla1027 »

Hello everyone,

So I was just wondering, what was the biggest oil tanker (or tankers) in the world during WWII? What was their max G.R.T.? How much oil could they carry? I remember seeing somewhere that the Brits used a few "Converted Whale Factory Ships" during the war in the oil tanker role, & they were amongst the biggest oil tankers of the time in terms of oil cargo they could carry, is that correct?

Any info would be great!
Thanks
msieving1

RE: OT-Oil Tanker ships

Post by msieving1 »

ORIGINAL: jakla1027

Hello everyone,

So I was just wondering, what was the biggest oil tanker (or tankers) in the world during WWII? What was their max G.R.T.? How much oil could they carry? I remember seeing somewhere that the Brits used a few "Converted Whale Factory Ships" during the war in the oil tanker role, & they were amongst the biggest oil tankers of the time in terms of oil cargo they could carry, is that correct?

Any info would be great!
Thanks

I don't know about the British, but Japan had a couple of converted whale factory ships that were reckoned as the largest tankers of their time. They were the Tonan Maru No. 2 and the Tonan Maru No. 3.

http://www.combinedfleet.com/Tonan2_c.htm

-- Mark Sieving
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

The SS Ohio was the biggest and had the largest capacity of any tanker at the time she was built. Here's a pic of her arriving at Malta.

Attachments
SSOhioEntersMalta.gif
SSOhioEntersMalta.gif (16.28 KiB) Viewed 136 times
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

French had:

Emile Miguet - 14,115 GRT - 1937 - sunk by U-48 while in convoy, 12 Oct 1939

Probably largest that Allies had.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

jakla1027

Post by jakla1027 »

Thanks for all the feedback thus far guys, doesn't sound like the allies had much over 14-15,000 G.T.R. in a single tanker. From my reashearch it looks like the typical Allied tanker or oiler was about 8-10,000 G.R.T.

I'm still interested in how big these whale factory ships the brits had were, I've found a little info on them, but no info on their "tanker" role. Maybe they didn't use them?[8|]
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

Does this link help any?

British Shipping

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”