current beta

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

geofflambert

current beta

Post by geofflambert »

I'm trying to figure out what the current beta is. What is it and is everyone happy with it? I'm on 1108r9 now, and the reason I ask is I'm about to start a new campaign against wyrmm and as this could last a year or more, I want to be as up to date as reasonable. If there is a better beta version, where is it and should I load the latest official patch first?

witpqs

RE: current beta

Post by witpqs »

I've got a real active PBM on 1123g, but we plan to upgrade to 1123n (which is the latest) next turn or so. Love the Betas!
Reg

Post by Reg »

I find that playing with the Betas is like drinking a well matured wine.

The basics are the same as the original but the improvements have made it a much smoother and pleasurable experience.

The latest is always here

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

I always recommend to use betas.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Thanks, I'll use it if wyrmm is agreeable.

Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Thanks, I'll use it if wyrmm is agreeable.

Real Gorns and wyrmm's use the latest beta...

You will not be disappointed. Each Beta release is like Christmas In July.

All Hail Michael M...<grin>

Mac
LAV-25 2147
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Bananas are natural beta blockers.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6459910_foods-natural-beta-blockers_.html
TTFN,

Mike
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

ORIGINAL: 1EyedJacks

Beta blockers are prescribed to treat heart problems, anxiety such as "performance anxiety" or stage fright, and high blood pressure.

That is WitP-AE all right! [:D]
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Puhis

Post by Puhis »

And then there's people like my opponent, who refuse to use betas. No matter what I try. Really frustrating... [:@]

It cannot be good because it's beta!
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Puhis

And then there's people like my opponent, who refuse to use betas. No matter what I try. Really frustrating... [:@]

I always wonder what exactly folks in the AE world think happens between beta and official. Do they picture Matrix/Slitherine, a really small company, having rooms of QA scientists in lab coats? Do they think M/S runs the patch through several hundred full PBEM games looking for conflicts? Do they imagine a full-scale internal beta test team wringing the thing out for several months, with formal bug control protocols, password-protected encrypted servers feeding into senior-management go-no go meetings?

M-S takes Michaels' patch, maybe looks in the Tech thread to see if anybody here says it blows up, they slap on a serial number checking module, and they put it on the site. There's probably emails with Michael, etc., but this has to be the gist. They don't have the in-house resources an EA does to really test a patch, and for a 5-YO game? Really?

If you're not playing the betas because they aren't official you're just stealing from yourself.
The Moose
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

ORIGINAL: 1EyedJacks

Beta blockers are prescribed to treat heart problems, anxiety such as "performance anxiety" or stage fright, and high blood pressure.

That is WitP-AE all right! [:D]

I was thinking similar thoughts. [:D]
TTFN,

Mike
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: Puhis

I always wonder what exactly folks in the AE world think happens between beta and official. Do they picture Matrix/Slitherine, a really small company, having rooms of QA scientists in lab coats? Do they think M/S runs the patch through several hundred full PBEM games looking for conflicts? Do they imagine a full-scale internal beta test team wringing the thing out for several months, with formal bug control protocols, password-protected encrypted servers feeding into senior-management go-no go meetings?

M-S takes Michaels' patch, maybe looks in the Tech thread to see if anybody here says it blows up, they slap on a serial number checking module, and they put it on the site. There's probably emails with Michael, etc., but this has to be the gist. They don't have the in-house resources an EA does to really test a patch, and for a 5-YO game? Really?

If you're not playing the betas because they aren't official you're just stealing from yourself.

Yup - I can hardly wait for the next upgrade... [:D]
TTFN,

Mike
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

They're hard at work now...

Attachments
then_a_mir..e_occurs.jpg
then_a_mir..e_occurs.jpg (34.79 KiB) Viewed 122 times
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I downloaded the 1123n beta for "patch 7". Is patch 7 the latest official and do I need it before installing 1123n?

As I said before, I've been using beta 1108r9.

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I downloaded the 1123n beta for "patch 7". Is patch 7 the latest official and do I need it before installing 1123n?

As I said before, I've been using beta 1108r9.
1108r9 is the same code as the 'latest official'. The difference is that the 'latest official' is a full packaging to make it a "comprehensive" patch, meaning that it brings everything up to date since the original release of the game (both code and data such as scenarios).

Someone could buy the game, install it (which will be a very old version), then install the latest comprehensive patch and be up to date except for the Betas. You then add the latest Beta (or the Beta of your choice, or no Beta at all.

So for your backup (you keep backups, right?) you need the original download, the latest comprehensive patch, the Beta that you are using, and any scenarios, utilities, etc. that you have acquired.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Adding: Of course the Beta runs from that Beta2 folder, and the official patch runs from the regular main folder.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I have three versions now, the original (the entire folder), my update to the 1108r9 with DBB-C data and map extensions, and I copied that one to make my 1123n version. Where do I find the 1108r9 comprehensive patch? I'm pretty sure I only have the beta.

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

It is in the Member Downloads area. You need to use the same password from when you bought and downloaded the game to get it.

They don't call it 1108r9. When it was released, Michael told us it was the exact same code so that we did not need to load it unless we wanted to. Of course if you do a reload or anything then it is easier to use a comprehensive too.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I'm just a gorn, I can't remember passwords I made up yesterday, let alone years ago.[:(] Apparently I don't need it so I'll just install the 1123n as is.

You may ask how I remember my forum password. I just wrote it on my forehead with a sharpie, but backwards so that I can look at myself in the mirror to remember it, but nobody else can make it out. [;)]

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Even if you don't need the latest comprehensive now, you will need it some time in the future. Murphy's Law indicates that when you most need it you will not be able to get it.

So, recommend you spend a few minutes going to the member downloads thingy and tell them you forgot your password so they can email you a new one. Or do they have to burn it on a gold recording disc for launch on the next interstellar probe? Whatever!

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”