Big Screen EIANW

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

Marshall Ellis

Big Screen EIANW

Post by Marshall Ellis »

Hey guys:

We are working to modernize a little bit and we are compensating for today's larger screens! No longer hard coding for 1024 x 768! We will take the whole screen for viewing the map. See this pic...

Attachments
BigScreenEIA.jpg
BigScreenEIA.jpg (131.39 KiB) Viewed 208 times
Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

Marshall Ellis

RE: Big Screen EIANW

Post by Marshall Ellis »

BTW: the above screen is 1680 x 1050.
Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

gazfun

Post by gazfun »

Wow yes we do neeed to modernise a bit, and also for the Tablet computers as well I think
Pans

Post by Pans »

that looks great and let me play with my big screen.

Andreas
mgarnett

Post by mgarnett »

Thanks looks awesome, I can't wait to give it a try.

Cheers

Mark
Mark Garnett
Brisbane Australia
gazfun

Post by gazfun »

After playing this game and all the files it has to do to exchange between 7 players I have changed my mind that as far as a PBEMgame it is too slow. It would be better to be TCP/IP
PISA.inWar

Post by PISA.inWar »

I would like to express my thoughts on this thing . I state that:
(1) I have not yet purchased EIA Matrix, but... I own and I played on the EIA of the Australian Design Group.
(2)In addition, I'm plaing, for years, an international medieval wargame game online of other european "platform".
The proposal that did gazfun think is desirable and desired by all. Indeed, even innovations graphics, sound, technology 3D, etc. etc. that would lead to the summit of the game and played the most sold in the world.
But... I think there are different types of players in the world, and those who like to play a quick game (stressful?) to start and finish in a few hours or days, and those who love a game more... slow to meditate and enjoy your time.
The innovations that I have listed above may be too burdensome to be applied to the game in a short time but... of course, would help a lot of the players and potential buyers, know that when they buy a product (now on the market for years and years) it is given complete with all the updates (so no having to download update files from the Matrix site) and without those bugs that now seems to be part and parcel of the game.
Sorry for the bad English (google translator )
gazfun

Post by gazfun »

I have played a game of EiA for 7 years and it still wasnt finished by PBEM. I think thats a pretty good qualification of my experience. Plus I was one the original Testers of this. You see we had a vision that everyone would be diligent in getting there turns in regularly but that is a goal that cant be achieved by any streach.
There are 4 files per player per month thats 28 files and if everyone puts there turns in daily then thats nearly a month of turns, to complete an actual month in the game. Three months is = to 84 files, plus an economic phase.
Sure if people want to take 8 to 10 years to finish a campaign of EiA well thats there business, but I think poeple should be aware of this.
Players who play a campaign with other players I believe would be expected to complete such a campaign between 6 to 12 months, anymore and its getting close to real life, and the reason I like to play Strategy gaming to escape from the real world for a few minutes a day to get my turn done and to do a bit of diplomacy. Players who like to play against the AI in a game to get there fun is fine, but it soon runs out of novelty very quickly.

pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: gazfun
There are 4 files per player per month thats 28 files and if everyone puts there turns in daily then thats nearly a month of turns, to complete an actual month in the game. Three months is = to 84 files, plus an economic phase.

Players who like to play against the AI in a game to get there fun is fine, but it soon runs out of novelty very quickly.

True, the current AI with its weaknesses it has its limits. But I will continue to argue for some modest AI improvements and enhancements, not because I think it could ever be "brilliant" but because its known weaknesses can be addressed and minimized; ie, make the AI less stupid. Then solitaire players could enjoy fast and fun games, while multiplayer PBEM games of less than 7 players could more seriously consider some AI players and speed up completion of a campaign game.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
PISA.inWar

Post by PISA.inWar »

I have played a game of EiA for 7 years and it still wasnt finished by PBEM. I think thats a pretty good qualification of my experience. Plus I was one the original Testers of this. You see we had a vision that everyone would be diligent in getting there turns in regularly but that is a goal that cant be achieved by any streach.
Sure if people want to take 8 to 10 years to finish a campaign of EiA well thats there business, but I think poeple should be aware of this.
Players who play a campaign with other players I believe would be expected to complete such a campaign between 6 to 12 months, anymore and its getting close to real life, and the reason I like to play Strategy gaming to escape from the real world for a few minutes a day to get my turn done and to do a bit of diplomacy. Players who like to play against the AI in a game to get there fun is fine, but it soon runs out of novelty very quickly.
Hi gazfun, I congratulate you for the experience you have on EIA electronic game. The problems of the slowness of the game share (for the experience I had with the table game), I am surprised, however, that IT developers of the game (all these years) have tried to propose "electronic shortcuts" that could speed up the game. But not wanting to find time to remove the bug (and I do not speak of the way to get the complete package of the game with the updated files) I think it is understandable why this failure to invest for their improvement. If I had hesitations in buying a digital game EIA your experience reported here makes me a bit away 'to purchase more of it. And I think it's difficult for me to recommend it to my other friends. It is a pity that.

Sorry for the bad English (google translator)
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

PISA, there is no bug with pbem. Gazfun speaks of the reality of 7 players exchanging email files, times the number of turn phases, and trying to get everyone to keep up with a one-day turnaround. TCP/IP or netplay might speed things up, IF you can get everyone online at the same time - which is a problem with players in different time zones, etc. The bigger issue is the extensive number of interactive exchanges the board game requires. Either you make the computer version identical and then deal with the email delays, or you implement SOPs or other pre-actions to help speed up things. This computer game does that to some extent, which is good. How MWIF does this remains to be seen. So, it's something to consider before you decide this game is not for you and your local play group. Hope this helps.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
NeverMan

Post by NeverMan »

After playing this game and all the files it has to do to exchange between 7 players I have changed my mind that as far as a PBEMgame it is too slow. It would be better to be TCP/IP

WOW, I never and I mean NEVER thought I would see you type that.
Athelas2211

Post by Athelas2211 »

There is always a possibility of making it linked to pub profile of dropbox and players can exchange it there?
playing RTS, strategy and RPG games from ...ever?

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”