timmyab (Ger) vs 821Bobo (Sov)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

timmyab

timmyab (Ger) vs 821Bobo (Sov)

Post by timmyab »

We started this game a couple of weeks ago.I think we should be fairly well matched so I thought I'd post a brief AAR to help the developers to assess whether the game needs rebalancing or not.
I'm not a great Axis player so I'm expecting a challenging game.

Turn 1
Turn one is the usual catalogue of mistakes and misfortunes without being a disaster.The technical challenge of the AGS opening got the better of me again,.The Soviet units South West of Rovno are only half trapped, they shouldn't get far though.The trouble started when 47th pz corps met stronger than usual resistance around Baranovichi which required me to send one of 24th pz corps divisions to assist.This left me short handed at Rovno.
I think the pockets should hold.Frankly I'll be disappointed if any of them are broken.

Attachments
Turn1a.jpg
Turn1a.jpg (980.33 KiB) Viewed 197 times
timmyab

RE: timmyab (Ger) vs 821Bobo (Sov)

Post by timmyab »

Turn 2

I'd planned to get some of pz group 4 across the Velikaya this turn but they had exceptionally bad MP rolls and air recon showed enemy strength to the South of Pskov.I knew there must be a weakness somewhere at this stage of the game so I sent an armored probe towards Velikie Luki which met with only light resistance.Sending panzer groups through here wouldn't be my first choice but there are some plus points if the area is left undefended.
1. It threatens the rear of the land bridge defenses.
2. It forces the Soviets to spread their defense over a wider area.
3. It gives you more strategic options and leaves the Soviet player uncertain of your long term intentions.
Having said that, I still consider this to be round one to Bobo.

Bobo puts up a good checkerboard in the South and progress is disappointing partly because of his good defense, partly because of more poor MP rolls and partly due to my own incompetence.The Dneiper looks a long way away at this point.
Most of 1st and 2nd pz group end up just South of Proskurov.They could have got a bit further but not enough to form a tight pocket and would have become vulnerable to being cut off.This position gives plenty of options for turn three and supply in this area should be good next turn so I'm hoping for some 40+ MP units to work with.
3rd pz corps just barely forces a bridgehead over the Dnestr and occupies the high ground to deny it to the enemy.Again this isn't to plan, I'd much prefer 3rd pz corps to have crossed the river further South.

Attachments
Turn2c.jpg
Turn2c.jpg (387.15 KiB) Viewed 197 times
Spielverderber

Post by Spielverderber »

Awesome screenshots! What are the moral settings in this game?
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

Everything is standard setting.
schascha

Post by schascha »

I like your screenshots too
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Any progress?
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

I was away for a week and then Bobo's been away for two weeks.We're on turn six and I'm on the verge of bogging down.Historically accurate at least.
bigbaba

Post by bigbaba »

gl timmy. bobo is a good opponent and played a good summer against me as axis player. if he plays the russians with the same level of skill then you get a good fight.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Good to hear the game is still going. Please update when you can [:)]
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

The next turn has just come back so it's game on.

Turn 3

Bobo maintains his grip on the land bridge.This leaves me uncertain of what to do next with my mobile forces to the North of Vitebsk.They have options to the South East, East and North.An MP shortage means that any push South East across the Dvina is going to be half-hearted and vulnerable to counterattack.North and East are equally tempting, but in the end I decide to grab a bridgehead across the river South of VL.Unfortunately I miscalculate here though.I think that 8th pz div has enough MPs to cross the river through ZOC, but I'm wrong.Exactly the same situation in the South had cost 12 MPs to cross, but here it costs 14.Maybe Velikie Luki adds an extra cost, that seems to be the only difference between the two cases.Whatever the reason it's very bad news because the bridgehead would have been dodgy even with 8th pz added, now it almost certainly wont hold.
41st panzer corps clears a fortified position in front of the Velikaya and rests while it waits for infantry support.47th and 57th pz do likewise.

In the South I also have three options.Either hook North where recon indicates weakness, smash my way through the checkerboard to the East or head further South where I calculate I can get a solid bridghead over the Yuzbny Bug.The Northern option is actually very tempting and it's even concievable that I could get a unit across the Dnieper just South of Kiev.I would be stretched very thin though and I don't like the area North of Zhitomir because it can turn into a cul-de-sac if you're not careful.In the end I opt for the safer Southern option, for one thing because it's closer to the rail head.
6th army is held up by stubborn resistance from three isolated divisions at Dubno which survive two 2:1 assaults.48th pz corps heads North to clear a path for 6th army and maintain a mobile threat in the area.

Attachments
Turn3a.jpg
Turn3a.jpg (574.96 KiB) Viewed 197 times
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

This is a very slow game, but it's still going.

Turn 4

The motorized division South of VL was thrown back across the river as expected.The threat from my armor in this area has seemingly weakened the land bridge defenses though.56th pz corps gets one division across the Dvina while 57th and 47th pz corps with infantry support smash through from the South threatening to cut off several Soviet divisions around Vitebsk, although about half of these will probably break out unless the 11 CV pz division from 57th pz corps gets lucky.After this screenshot was taken I strengthened this division to 14 CV by transferring a pioneer and a flamm battalion.I still don't think it will hold.
41st pz corps and part of 16th army are now safely across the Velikaya river.

In the South, air recon identified a small chance to cross the Dnieper just North of Cherkassy so I went for it.Unfortunately the Ruskies were too strong and now I wish I'd gone East to smash up the river line.Oh well, at least I've got a more central position now, I was starting to wander too far South for comfort.This was probably my last chance to rush the Dnieper, we'll have to fight our way across now.

Attachments
Turn4b.jpg
Turn4b.jpg (502.36 KiB) Viewed 197 times
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

Turn 5 North
A critical battle in the North goes badly against us when two divisions in a fortified swamp refuse to yield to a deliberate attack from a strong infantry corps.There's no option but to go around them which causes serious delays.
The Vitebsk pocket is sealed tight with nine victims left inside.
4th army gets a strong bridgehead across the Dnieper.
47th pz corps redeploys South of Mogolev.I'm taking pains to keep the position of this corps a secret.I'll probably do an HQ build up on it next turn and hold it in readiness for any opportunity to break out, either South towards Kiev or North towards Smolensk.Surprise is the key here.From my experience of playing the Soviet side, there's nothing more worrying than a pz corps that goes missing.

Attachments
Turn5northb.jpg
Turn5northb.jpg (323 KiB) Viewed 197 times
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

Turn 5 South

There's a difficult decision to make in the South.
The defense between Cherkassy and Kirovograd where I want to cross is very strong and my infantry still haven't arrived in sufficient strength.I don't want to go South but air recon suggests that the Dnieper is undefended down there and 25th mot division can just make it across.In fact this division can cross but I choose to use it's MPs to flip hexes instead, believing that enemy units will be too far away to occupy the converted marshes around Kakhovka in their turn.
I'm now way too far South and at least one turn behind a reasonable schedule.
Odessa is defended.Two German divisions are dispatched to help out the Romanians.I'm not sure if this diversion of effort is necessary or not.

Attachments
Turn5southb.jpg
Turn5southb.jpg (255.87 KiB) Viewed 197 times
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

Turn 6 North

A better week for AGN with heroes of the Soviet Union thin on the ground.Five divisions including last weeks' heroes are cut off and doomed around Pskov.
The Finnish army traps it's three target Soviet divisions. I'm happy with that.

Bobo has decided to stand and fight in the center.It looks like this is going to turn into a real grind.My best hope of gaining mobility is 47th panzer corps which does a build up and now lurks out of sight in the woods and swamps NW of Gomel waiting for an opportunity.

Attachments
Turn6northb.jpg
Turn6northb.jpg (438.76 KiB) Viewed 197 times
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

Turn 6 South
Well it turns out that I was wrong about the converted marsh hexes around Kakhovka.Bobo managed to occupy them with two cavalry divisions.The one in the town was weak though and a hasty attack by the entire 24th pz corps dislodged it comfortably.25th mot division was all that I could get across (31 MPs for a 86+ morale unit.)This division is joined by 48th pz corps HQ and reinforced by two pioneer battalions and a stug battalion.
The rest of the armor fans out to the North East in search of another crossing point.The situation is actually starting to look pretty serious with most of 17th army still at least two weeks march away.My best hope is that the crossing to the South will draw some of the defenders away.

Attachments
Turn6southb.jpg
Turn6southb.jpg (329.31 KiB) Viewed 197 times
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Wow that's a really poor showing in the north.

Center looks about average.

Looks like he is in trouble in the south also.

Good job.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

He is me Pelton.And yes, I'm screwed.I've already started fortifying Berlin[:)]
821Bobo

Post by 821Bobo »

Actually I am not sure who's showing in the north Pelton meant. At least from the screenshot it looks like there is no Soviet resistance between Pskov and Leningrad. But that's just poor German recon [:)]
mktours

Post by mktours »

great AAR with best pics. I want to know what tool you are using to do the Pictures, they are so beautiful, especially the arrows.
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

It's Paint.NET.It's free too.

Return to “After Action Reports”