DUNE?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

FirstPappy

DUNE?

Post by FirstPappy »

What's up with the sand worm (or similar) that seems to keep popping up around planets that have special resource (spice I think)? Every time I kill one another takes it's place later. Should I just let them be or do I have to assign ships to patrol the planet?
Windows 10 Home 64
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 3.70Ghz Processor
32 GB Ram
Nvidia GEFORCE GTX1080 w/8 GB
LG 32GK850F 2560x1440
pycco

RE: DUNE?

Post by pycco »

yes its a homage to dune, yes you need to build a defensive station there or station a small fleet there.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
-Mark Twain
FerretStyle

Post by FerretStyle »

I just ignore those planets now. I tried countless times to build a base there but it's destroyed before it's completed most of the time, and destroyed eventually even if it was completed. There doesn't seem to be a way to put ships there to kill it automatically in a reasonable time. I filled up a ship with phasers and set it on patrol but by the time it gives a crap about the worm the base is dead. Ditto for the base, which doesn't even start firing until it's too late.
Mad Igor

Post by Mad Igor »

creatures damage ARMOR you should know that by now.
stack armor on base and throw repair module = profit.
don't forget weapons.
elanaagain

Post by elanaagain »

yes, and you have to babysit your ships at the planet. Every time the worm comes up.. have to manually attack it - cause the AI doesn't react quickly enough (no matter what orders are given) to have your ships attack ... eventually you will have a mining base /and or def base strong enough to kill the worm without player babysitting... then the money rolls in....
USA = Corporatist Serfdom of America: free range surf technology
Fenrisfil

Post by Fenrisfil »

Or simply play with no space creatures. They aren't any fun anyway. Setting them to none doesn't stop the plot based creatures (the massive kaltor swarm around a plot location base for instance) but it does stop the Dune Worm from protecting it's Melange. I'd almost forgotten that happens until I saw this post, it's been a while since I played with them on. Though actually on my current game I forgot to change that setting so it's a handy reminder!
AMD Phenom II X4 3.2ghz, 16gb ram, 64bit Windows 7, Radeon HD6900.
Starke

Post by Starke »

I've noticed that even with space creatures off worms will still sometimes spawn on Korabbia. (sp?) Makes for a more interesting rare resource location than the other two, I guess. =P
The Distant Worlds sale made my purchase possible. Thank you!
FerretStyle

Post by FerretStyle »

ORIGINAL: Starke

I've noticed that even with space creatures off worms will still sometimes spawn on Korabbia. (sp?) Makes for a more interesting rare resource location than the other two, I guess. =P

It's interesting but the AI cannot effectively mine it, so it is rather unfair.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: FerretStyle

ORIGINAL: Starke

It's interesting but the AI cannot effectively mine it, so it is rather unfair.

Don't mine it, colonize it, add a spaceport and assign that planet as a fleets homebase. Yes the Sand Slug does keep coming back but it is worth it to get the Zen' Fluid. Mining rate is much slower at a mine than a colony and the colony can not be destroyed by it. Keeping a fleet assigned to that planet will also help to keep the freighters flowing.

Darkspire
KAHUNA

Post by KAHUNA »

Add fighters to your constructors.I arm mine and when it starts to build I manually set my fighters swarming protectively.I'm playing Legends[not Shadows] and this works well for me.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: KAHUNA

Add fighters to your constructors.I arm mine and when it starts to build I manually set my fighters swarming protectively.I'm playing Legends[not Shadows] and this works well for me.

Excellent idea, I shall be adding a few of those to my constructors.

Darkspire

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”