OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jeffk3510

OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec)

Post by jeffk3510 »

It would appear that no one would be offended posting an AAR from a different game that has almost zero forum buzz.

schanilec and I have been playing numerous John Tiller's Campaign Series games over the last year and I would like to share the fun with everyone.

These are a great series of games for anyone who likes quick action and tactical level games.

Here is the first post from my original AAR at the JTCS forum.

"Schani and I have been blowing through a lot of scenarios since the Crickets and Echoes AAR.

We went on to play the Burma Road, which the AAR over at the Blitz kinda fizzled out as I stopped updating it...we ran into the last handful of turns, and Marc couldn't ever find the right turn file and we couldn't figure out what turn we were last on...no biggy. I am confident he would have won... I ran out of options and he finally surrounded my troops at the southern bridge all while running a few troops up north to recapture the first north bridge. I don't recall that we ever finished this scenario, but he would have easily won.

We then played another East Front scenario..I don't recall the name (I'll search tonight). It was a Germany/Russian meeting engagement with only armour. I would say it was a small regiment sized game. I lost maybe a few tanks, and Marc didn't have a unit left on the map. It was a small meeting engagement with a small central town/rr junction as the main objective. It was before or after the Battle of Kursk. I ended up taking a good position on a ridge east of town while Marc just ended up getting caught in the valley just before reaching the depot/town. T34s just ate his lunch..very one sided now the more I do think of it.

He did give up a very good fight and was a great sport about it. That is what I love about Marc. The guy is always very cheerful and full of energy in the game. He is also a very good communicater on his availability for a turn. I also dont care about game pace nor does he..we usualy do a turn a day..even though we could almost do a full scenario in a day if we wanted. He never gives away any details when sending the turn to me..I try and do the same. Marc is just a good dude.

We've now decided to play West Front's scenario Death on Skyline Drive. I have the Germans, while he is taking up the Allies (Americans).

From the scenario description- his lines are very thinly held, and I have a big thrust of infantry in the opening stages of the Ardennes Offensive...

It is something like 26 turns, and we're half a dozen in with zero action as I am consolidating my forces. I have only half a dozen infantry platoons on the map, and noticed my reinforcements take forever to show up, so I am just getting into position before I start"

This scenario is a historical scenario that is the opening stages of the Ardennes Offensive. I start with almost nothing on the field and the reinforcements trickle in over time..like I mentioned. I am going to consolidate until I have two btns on the field, and then start moving through the trees south of the town and capture the victory hexes and dig in west of the village to prepare for Marcs sure-to-come counterattack if I drive him from the village/victory hexes.

We've already played 9 turns with zero action and I just discovered last turn I have off board artillery.. [8|]

Current situation below on the 2D map..

Attachments
2dmap.jpg
2dmap.jpg (318.78 KiB) Viewed 311 times
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
jeffk3510

RE: OT: Death on Skyline Drive (No Schanilec)

Post by jeffk3510 »

Turn 10

Attachments
turn10.gif
turn10.gif (519.84 KiB) Viewed 310 times

Dez caught it
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

Turn 10 results

Attachments
Turn10results.gif
Turn10results.gif (564.75 KiB) Viewed 310 times

Dez caught it
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

This looks like a cool tactical game.

Is it WEGO format?
Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

No it's IGO-UGO.

http://www.theblitz.org is a good Campaign Series community.
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Is it WEGO format?

Cpt Cruft is correct.

It is a very cool tactival game...very easy to pick up and have a lot of fun with. As with AE, PBEM is especially fun but the AI does put up a good fight.

How is your current AE campaign going? I see you guys got a lot of rain in North Texas today. We do a lot of business starting at Temple all the way back north so we keep up with what is going on down there.

Thanks for stopping by.

Dez caught it
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

ORIGINAL: Captain Cruft

No it's IGO-UGO.

http://www.theblitz.org is a good Campaign Series community.

I tried the blitz for a little while...never cared for it much. I really like Maxtrix Games forums..maybe I am just used to them. The feel cozy.

Dez caught it
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Is it WEGO format?

Cpt Cruft is correct.

It is a very cool tactival game...very easy to pick up and have a lot of fun with. As with AE, PBEM is especially fun but the AI does put up a good fight.

How is your current AE campaign going? I see you guys got a lot of rain in North Texas today. We do a lot of business starting at Temple all the way back north so we keep up with what is going on down there.

Thanks for stopping by.

Yeah, the rain was too far North to get to us today, but word is the rest of the week will be plenty wet.

The campaign against Cuttlefish continues, now in mid 43. Check out the AAR link in my sig if you want to catch up on it. Several cool CV battles.
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

I have been following it, just not posting I guess. Always enjoy reading good AARs. Especially ones that are further into the game the I am.

Turn 11

Attachments
Turn11initial.jpg
Turn11initial.jpg (674.78 KiB) Viewed 310 times

Dez caught it
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

Contact

Attachments
Turn11firstmovement.jpg
Turn11firstmovement.jpg (687.91 KiB) Viewed 310 times

Dez caught it
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

Turn 11 results.

Excellent first turn with contact. Moved my men out of the trees and killed a lot of his men, destroyed halftracks, made him retreat, and have an excellent line of men in the trees to assault from and provide cover from. No units were left with AP to fire during his turn. That is ok though.

Attachments
Turn11results.jpg
Turn11results.jpg (680.65 KiB) Viewed 314 times

Dez caught it
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

Do you assault a lot or just shoot at the units to wear them down. I shoot a lot maybe that's the reason I can't finish a game without turns running out.
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

Do you assault a lot or just shoot at the units to wear them down. I shoot a lot maybe that's the reason I can't finish a game without turns running out.

It really depends. I am in no hurry to assault and capture the victory hexes at this time.. If you're playing with extreme FOW, then your assault odds are not shown..if you're playing just normal FOW, then you have an idea of how well your assault will go.

There are some many reasons to list of why to and why not to assault....close in fighting when I HAVE to take places fast and use the cover to return fire, I will assault in that case. I like tank battles for manuever and fast attacks. I also like to have my heavy tanks sit back and snipe and take punishment while my fast tanks flank and fire...occasionally assaulting...

I know this doesn't really help you..you'll just know when to and when not to I guess..

Dez caught it
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

When I shoot and disrupt units, I will try and get close to assault the more I think about it... disrupted units are easy to rout.

Dez caught it
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

Dont forget that your indirect fire will be accurate if you have a unit that can actually spot the targeted hex during that turn or else it will be very innaccurate.

Dez caught it
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

Turn 12 initial

Attachments
turn12initial.jpg
turn12initial.jpg (674.27 KiB) Viewed 314 times

Dez caught it
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

Good turn for both of us, but if this is all Marc has to defend these VP locations, he's going to be fighting for his life. Understrength infantry platoons very spread out.

Attachments
turn12results.jpg
turn12results.jpg (669.77 KiB) Viewed 314 times

Dez caught it
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

Ahem ... isn't this the wrong forum for this game? Just saying ... it's the WitP:AE forum!
Capt. Cliff
MAurelius

Post by MAurelius »

first of all it says "OT" - and secondly - he politely asked about all this....
formerly known as SoliInvictus202
Cpt Sherwood

Post by Cpt Sherwood »

This is interesting.
“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” ― Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Return to “After Action Reports”